2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 19 of 33)

Nov 062010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving approximately 25 mph, a sudden loss of power steering occurred without warning causing the vehicle to wander into the next lane. The contact was able to gain control and drive onto the side of the road. The engine was turned off and restarted. The vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they informed her that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- Dickenson, AL, USA

Oct 222010

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Malibu power steering randomly goes out. Started at under 100,000 miles.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Feb 152010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 2 mph, the steering wheel suddenly locked. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted it; it performed normally after. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was replaced (repair details were not given). The failure mileage was approximately 6,000 and the current mileage was 7,730.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Oct 132010

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu lt 74,000 miles. I have had problems with the remote start not working. The cruise will not work all the time, bearings in steering column, check gas cap and anti theft light. It also will not start unless I give it gas. And when I take it in they find nothing. Fuel pump has been replaced and that is not the problem. I did some research and found hundreds of people with the same complaints. There needs to be a recall same yr of cars all with the same issue something is not right.

- Ladysmith, WI, USA

Oct 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the steering wheel locked without warning. The speed rate was reduced and the engine was turned off. The contact restarted the vehicle and after three attempts, the steering wheel reset independently. The vehicle resumed normal operation yet the failure recurred four separate times. The contact was in the process of taking the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis. There was concern of the potential safety hazard involved with the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Oct 062010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving approximately between 55-60 mph, there was a complete loss of the power steering. The check engine and wrench symbol warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road. The engine was turned off and restarted. The contact resumed cautiously with a permanent loss of power steering. The contact discovered that there was a related defect associated with the NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering: Electric power assist system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 136,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 05/04/11 updated 06/06/11

- Westwood, NJ, USA

Jul 242010

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Malibu has intermittent power steering failure. It goes out in the middle of a turn and almost make you wreck. Dealer says there is not problem. Comes and goes at will. Sometime turning the key off then back on fixes it but not always.

- Bluffdale, UT, USA

Jan 142005

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that on several occasions, the power steering would suddenly fail and he was unable to steer or turn. The vehicle was able to be maneuvered to the side of the road with much difficulty. The power steering light would illuminate immediately after the failure. At times, he would turn the vehicle off and restart it which would remedy the problem temporarily. Most recently, the steering was unable to be reset by restarting and had to be towed. It was repaired under warranty three times. However, the failure continued. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer after the warranty expired and the contact paid for repairs at his expense. However, the failure continued to occur. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The current mileage was approximately 55,000. The failure mileage was 4,206.

- Odebolt, IA, USA

Sep 242010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering suddenly failed. The check engine light and the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact pulled and noticed that the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted it; the failure continued. The contact drove home. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 143,264 and the current mileage was 143,266.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 252010

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering warning light comes on intermittently. Goes off after restart. Power steering unit replaced once under factory warranty.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Aug 042010

Malibu 6-cyl

My steering had gone in my 2004 Chevy Malibu 2 months ago. The column has been replaced 2 times now and is still not fixed. I am also being told that there are no steering columns left in my area. My car is a danger to everyone on a road including myself and I have no idea why Chevy hasn't recalled these.

- Lansdale , PA, USA

Sep 032010

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2004 Malibu has a power steering problem. I took it in today to see about repair and it is going to cost almost $700 to fix. The power steering just stops working sometimes. It has been doing it for a while now. It is progressively getting worse. It somehow resets when you turn the car off and turn it back on sometimes. I started having problems with this when the vehicle had 50,000 miles on it. I now have 70,000 miles on it and it is to the point where it has to be fixed. I don't understand how it is not a recall situation knowing how important the power steering is on a vehicle. This situation comes after having to have the stereo replaced in the vehicle 3 times and now it is not working again. I am very disappointed in GM for not taking care of either of these problems satisfactorily.

- Covington, IN, USA

Aug 102010

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering alarm and the service engine sign in the dashboard of my 2004 Chevrolet Malibu ls has been going off every time I turn on the car. This has been happening for 3 weeks now. My brothers are having the same issue with their 2005 and 2007 Chevrolet cars. However, since I did not get a recall notice, my dealer wants to charge me an upwards of $150 to just look at the issue I am being told that the 2004 Malibu's are not on the recall list, hence I have to pay for the diagnostics. I am scared of the safety of driving my car to and from work but I am left with no choice but to take a chance and use my car with the alarm going off. I cannot afford the price the dealership is wanting to charge me, especially if it is a known issue within the Chevrolet models. Please, please, please... ask the dealers to fix this issue with Chevrolet cars before someone gets hurt.

- Addison, IL, USA

Aug 302010

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu "electric steering" repeated failure of the steering unit and steering column. Steering wheel clunks and becomes loose. Chevy fixed it twice or so but now says its up to me. I expect the steering assy of any car to be bullet proof and not have safety problems.

- Ramona, CA, USA

Aug 312010

Malibu

The electric power steering in my vehicle is faulty. The steering wheel will move by its self while driving or in park. Also my power steering will go out without warning while driving at any speed. When the steering wheel locks up due to power steering I have a very hard time turning and controlling car. I have barely avoid several accidents because of this issue. I have taken car to dealership to see if can be fixed because when I called GM I was not eligible for the warranty that would have fixed issue but because it was past their recall time they would not assist me and the dealer wants $800 to fix and they say that even fixing the steering column and or the assist motor that I will more then likely have the same issues! my car is a 2004 with only 44,462 miles on it. I got the car used February of this year (2010) and didn't know that it would be a nightmare and a death trap for my family! I have video of the wheel moving by its self as well as video showing that when I loss power steering the car is hazardous. I am really afraid that I will not be able to keep up with this issue and will one day loss complete control of the car and hurt myself and possibly others! Chevrolet needs to fix this issue for good or replace the cars all together because its really only a matter of time before this issue bites them in the butt! I really like my Malibu but I really think that I should have never got it because of all the issues losing power steering, pulls bad to left and right, loose shifter knob, & the remote keyless entry doesn't work right. I hope by filing this complaint with you that maybe it will be resolved. I want to have piece of mind while driving my family in car not worried about the car being a death trap on 4 wheels that will loss control when it feels like it and kill my family and myself. I know that I am not the only one with these issues with the Malibu and Chevrolet really needs to step up and make these issues right for us the consumers fast!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 312010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 10 mph a chiming sound alerted her that the power steering light illuminated and within a few seconds the steering wheel was very difficult to control. The vehicle was turned off, back on and began to drive normally. After a few minutes the failure recurred. The dealer was not contacted and the failure was not diagnosed. The failure and current mileages were 80,000.

- Mesa , AZ, USA

Jun 172010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph the vehicle lost power steering. The contact stated that after regaining control of the vehicle and starting the vehicle, the power steering began to function normally. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that they could not find a problem with the vehicle. The contact stated that this was the only time the power steering failed. The failure mileage was 100000 and the current mileage is 117,000. Updated 12/22/10 updated 12/29/10

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 272010

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu power steering goes out without warning and frequently. When turning the wheel locks up making turning impossible to do. I almost caused a head on collision due to this. Now when I turn the steering wheel tires do not move at all. There are hundreds of complaints on-line about this exact issue and GM wants to do nothing about it.

- Medford, MA, USA

Aug 272010

Malibu 6-cyl

Almost daily, the wrench light turns on and the display in the center reads "power steering." Occasionally, this is accompanied by a complete loss of power steering, making it very difficult to turn at low speeds. Turning off the Malibu usually resets the light and error message; however, this problem usually recurs shortly after restarting the car. I was told by a dealership that the only way to correct this problem would be to have the steering column replaced at my expense.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Aug 242010

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu standard clunking noise when steering. Steering wheel locked up on me when shifted in reverse. Power steering displaying on dashboard, vibration coming from steering at 65mph.

- Brooklyn Center, MN, USA