2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 33)

Apr 102015

Malibu 6-cyl

I was leaving out of walmart to enter onto hwy 301 when I accelerated my steering wheel had tightened up like the car was going to shut down. It happened again on April 24, 2015 same thing. They had a recall on the power steering (recall #14116). I had it serviced on 10/27/2014. Which I thought was corrected until this happened. I took my car back to the dealership on May 6, 2015, which was still the power steering, and I end up paying $525.76, for something GMC was supposed to have fixed in the recall. I sure I'm not the only who is having this problem. Because I could've been hit not once but twice.

- Colonial Beach, VA, USA

Apr 302015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 10 mph and turning the steering wheel, the tires failed to turn. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Mount Union, PA, USA

Oct 172014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. When accelerating, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Apr 262015

Malibu 6-cyl

When trying to turn left or right it won't turn and makes a popping noise in steering shaft ? under car inspection noticed that steering spline or shaft where it meets the yoke it just spins when turning wheel! wheels will not turn. Can't drive. This car is my daughters and I'm doing the research for her.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 242015

Malibu

My power steering light came on Friday April 24,2015.and where I bought my car said I was responsible for getting it fixed. So what do I do because I never received a recall paper on it. But when I looked it up it says they have been recalled but no one has notified me to get this checked.

- Geneva, IN, USA

Mar 222015

Malibu 6-cyl

I've had lots of problems with the power steering going out on my 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. I called GM many times asking if there were any type of recalls. There were none. Had power steering fixed at my cost. Several years later I received recalls about the power steering on my 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Two months ago I took my vehicle to a GM dealership to be checked. The power steering parts were replaced. Today I was almost in an accident due to the power steering going out in my car again. This time it was worse than ever before. Today the power steering not only locked up, but then the steering wheel popped back in the opposite direction with force and a loud noise. Had to have vehicle towed home because it was on a Sunday and now going to have to have it towed back to the dealership on Monday. For 4 years I've had nothing but trouble with my power steering. Very dangerous and scary, especially when you have grandchildren in the car!!!

- Troutman, NC, USA

Aug 082007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at a low speeds, the steering wheel independently turned left and right. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering box assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle had been previously been taken to the dealer multiple times and the technician diagnosed that the steering column and steering box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was not available.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became stiff and power steering was lost. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Saint Claire Shores, MI, USA

Feb 262015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V153000 (steering) and 14V224000 (powertrain) and stated that the parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Sep 092010

Malibu 4-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer requests reimbursement for steering column recall notice repairs. The intermediate shaft and rack and pinion were replaced.

- Beaver Falls, PA, USA

Oct 012007

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel appears to lock up and power steering lost. Steering column appears loose. Happens daily and approx. Ten to twelve times weekly. Often noise rattling like in lower or base steering shaft area. Sometimes happens a minute or two after we start car and vehicle moves. Sometimes at about 20-45 mph in city driving. Other times when car is going 50-75 mph in highway driving. It is intermittent and unpredictable. It seems to happen more often on pot holed or otherwise rough roads. Our only known steering related GM recall was completed recently by GMC dealer. However, problems continue.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Feb 142015

Malibu 6-cyl

After I took my 2004 Chevy Malibu in to get fixed under the recalls, my car keeps flashing the maintenance light and on my radio the "check power steering" comes on followed by a chime.

- Marion, IN, USA

Feb 032015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph making a left turn, the vehicle started making a loud noise and the power steering seized. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a curb and a pole. It was unknown if any injuries were sustained or if a police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Willmar, MN, USA

Dec 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the steering wheel seized as the instrument panel lights failed to illuminate. The contact also stated that after ten minutes of driving, the instrument panel lights flashed and the steering wheel resumed to normal. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14R044000 (steering) but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical power system module needed to be repaired. The contact did not disclose if the vehicle was repaired or not. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 03/30/15 updated 10/21/2015

- Levanon, OH, USA

Jan 172015

Malibu 4-cyl

I was at a stop sign and as I accelerated and made a left turn the steering went out completely half way through my turn. The steering wheel would spin freely in either direction and it in no way allowed me to steer. My vehicle went into the ditch by the time I stopped. I had just minutes before gotten off the interstate. Had someone been walking along the road that day I could have hit and killed them. This failure came without warning. The steering had a small amount of play before the incident, however no more than I felt was normal for a car of this age. The issue was found to be that the steering shaft pulled out of the rack and pinion. I have a picture of the part after the failure, but before it was replaced that I can send if you wish. If this is a common issue it is very dangerous to the owners and those around them.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jan 202015

Malibu 4-cyl

The driver was traveling on a two lane road and came to a curve in the road at which time she reported that the brakes would not slow or stop the car and the car began to veer in an unintended (and unsteered) direction. The driver attempted to correct the car's path and speed and it went out of control striking four cars, crossing a divider and impacting head on with a 4 X 4 truck. The driver commented that the "car went wild".

- Washington Crossing, PA, USA

Jan 302012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph attempting to avoid a dog, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the power steering seized. The contact crashed into the dog. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was towed to nearest independent mechanic for repairs to the damaged front end. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000. Updated 03/17/15

- Billingsley, AL, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and there was a sudden increase in engine rpms. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle jerked before shifting into gear and the engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V153000 (steering) and 14V224000 (power train). The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Elkins, WV, USA

Dec 262014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the eps needed to be replaced. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), but the contact was informed that the part was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Portland, IN, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Customer states that he has received three recall notices for vehicle in June 2014 and July 2014. All three noticed indicated the parts are not available and hasn't heard any response since.

- Middleton, WI, USA