2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 23 of 33)

Feb 012010

Malibu

Steering column defective on the Chevy Malibu. I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu and the steering locks on turns, merging and acceleration. Very dangerous!

- Lahaina, HI, USA

Jan 162010

Malibu

While driving the vehicle, it loses power steering and is very difficult to turn the wheel. It occurs frequently and has been brought to the dealer for repairs. They say it has a defective steering column. The condition as exists is identified in a GM service bulletin# 04-02-35-009A. I contacted GM and they told me that this was not a safety issue and would not pay for the repairs.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 20 mph she attempted to make a right turn the and the steering wheel malfunctioned without warning. She was able to drive the vehicle to the service station. She stated that after the failure occurred the warning light on the instrumental panel illuminated. The service station turned the vehicle off to reset the power steering.she will take the vehicle to the dealer to be diagnosed. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage were 65,000.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jan 292010

Malibu

During normal driving, driver information center displayed "power steering" and all power steering assist stopped. Car was very hard to steer, but was able to steer to side of road. After restarting the car, power steering returned. This car was serviced by GM in 2004 to repair this problem (under the original ODI complaint investigation) but the problem has recurred and GM insists that we need to replace the steering column again.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 052010

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu. Problem with steering. Steering wheel wants to tug repeatedly to the left. If I barely touch the steering wheel and put a little pressure either to right or left, the steering wheel by itself tugs up and down. At higher speeds I can feel in hands occasionally tugging. Hope it don't decide one day to just do a hard turn into oncoming traffic. Was told that it most likely is the steering assist on the column. Why can't GM just have put a regular steering pump like everyone else.

- Blackfoot, ID, USA

Jan 162010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 55 mph on normal road conditions the "power steering" warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver pulled over to the side of the road which required higher effort to turn the steering wheel. The engine was turned off and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was inspected by two different authorized dealers. The technicians were unable to duplicate the failures. The vehicle has not been repaired for the malfunction. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Iowa City , IA, USA

Aug 162009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 72 mph, the power steering light came on and then the steering wheel locked. He was able to safely drive onto the emergency lane and shut the engine off. Approximately 5 seconds after restarting the vehicle the failure recurred. The dealer was not notified. A local mechanic stated that the main gear in the steering failed. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure has occurred 6 to 7 times. The failure mileage was 101,000 and the current mileage was 149,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 292009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph he noticed the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering failed. He then pulled over to the side of the road to restart the vehicle. The dealer was contacted the dealer to schedule an appointment for inspection. Any repairs will made at the owners expense. The failure mileage was 145000. The current mileage was 147000.

- Clear Lake, MN, USA

Dec 302009

Malibu

My mother owns a 2004 Chevy Malibu. The problem is that when she driving and about to make a turn the steering wheel looses power and is hard to turn. This could become a problem if snow or ice on the ground or she trying to avoid an accident. I had it over for service at a local Chevy dealer. I was told that this is an occurring problem with this model. But that doesn't fix the problem. My mother is 72 years old.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Oct 172009

Malibu

While driving my 2004 Malibu ls power steering will go out it is all you can do to steer car. I can not steer car when this happens. You have to stop car turn ignition off then start car again to get your power steering back. You may have to do this several times steering will quiver as you turn. This is very dangerous and will result in deaths there should be a recall to correct this problem. Steering column has been replaced once for this problem. Libby B. chaney

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Jun 182009

Malibu

I have reported two previous incidents regarding noise in the front end of my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls. The same noise is again occurring in the front end of my car which leads me to believe it is a steering issue. When I took the car to jack phelan Chevrolet, they did not find a problem with the front end/steering. I believe they aren't telling me because this will be the 3rd complaint regarding steering parts.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 112009

Malibu

I was driving myself and my 2 year old son home when I lost my power steering and had to stop, I shut off the car and waited ten minutes turned it back on and it started working again. I brought the car to my mechanic and had to have the entire steering column and everything replaced. The day after I picked up my car it was making an awful noise so I had to bring it back and am having another part of the steering replaced.

- Sheffield, MA, USA

Oct 142007

Malibu

I purchased my 04 Malibu in 11/06-had the vehicle for 3 days and heard a thumping in the steering column. Called the dealership, took in and they replaced the drive shaft ( a common problem with this year Malibu I have been told). The problem has come back to haunt along with having issues with the power steering, I lost my power steering and almost got into an accident. I can not believe that this car has not been recalled for this problem.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Oct 252009

Malibu

The power steering on my 2004 Malibu ls failed while making a turn. I nearly had an accident. My local garage diagnosed the problem as a module in the steeringcolumn and said it's a fairly common problem. This is extremely dangerous and should be considered for a recall or manufactures service bulletin.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 212009

Malibu

The intermediate shaft on this vehicle (steering) locked up making the car unsteerable thus causing an accident. It is unpredictable when the intermediate shaft locks up. Prior to the accident the vehicle experienced shaking at highway speeds and premature tire ware. Part was replaced 2 years ago through warranty but failed again. According to the dealership this is a common problem with most GM vehicles however no recall has been issued. This part will be replaced again and old part will be available upon request.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Sep 292009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact turned the steering wheel in any direction, he noticed a grinding noise in the intermediate steering shaft. The contact also noticed that the grinding noise occurred each time he drove over a bump or pot hole. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 78000.

- Lowell, OH, USA

Oct 052009

Malibu

I took vehicle into Goodyear for oil change and told them more steering noises are happening.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Apr 302009

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu. Numerous dealership visits on 'noisy' steering. After warranty Goodyear found $610 intermediated steering shaft problem. Noisy again in steering : steering column went out! another $900 bill. I want reimbursed and a recall on this problem.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Sep 292009

Malibu

The power steering failed while driving my 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. A "mechanical problem indicator appeared on the dash board when driving my car and the words "power steering" were displayed on the radio display. A few moments later, my power steering failed and the car became very difficult to drive. I turned around and went home.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Sep 092009

Malibu

I own a 2004; 4 cyl; Chevy Malibu with electronic power steering. The system failed while I was on the interstate. I narrowly escaped causing a collision because of this failure. When towed to Chevy "... their computer shows no problem...". baloney, I have since found out by going on-line that lots of Chevy Malibu have this problem. Chevy will not own up to it because it is a major expensive repair.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA