2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 25 of 33)

May 232009

Malibu

My car was diagnosed as needing a new motor put in my steering column. This is a known issue and I have spoken to Chevy about it. They do not care because I am not the original owner and their "customer satisfaction campaign" to replace this part for free expired at the end of January 2005. My power steering light comes on almost every time I start the car and I have had problems with it. Luckily my husband was driving when the power steering went out. If I had been driving I might not have been able to make the turn and I would have gotten into an accident. Maybe that would get Chevy's attention! under the report for ODI's investigation into this matter they said that the driver's ability to steer this "relatively small" and light car was not impacted greatly. That's completely untrue. I'm an average-sized female who has a 16-month-old daughter. Every time my daughter gets into my car, this becomes a safety issue, despite what everyone else has decided thus far. I'm taking this problem to my local news channel. How can GM wonder why they're in bankruptcy when they don't back their faulty product??

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

May 302009

Malibu

Loss of power steering while driving 2004 Chevy Malibu. No accident resulted as going down a straight road. Heard a noise when turning the vehicle for the past week and now no power steering thought it had to be a bad ball joint but after research it turns out to have to deal with the electronic power steering. Shut vehicle off and started again and the power steering was normal. Will need to replace the entire steering column. Very dangerous if I wasn't going down a straight road as I most likely would have been unable to turn.

- Iron River, MI, USA

May 062009

Malibu

Same problems with the steering... intermittently the power steering will not work.

- Amityville, NY, USA

Apr 132009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering stopped working. The failure occurred intermittently. The contact had to exert force in order to maneuver the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they test drove the vehicle, but could not locate the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Attica, MI, USA

Apr 192009

Malibu

Electronic power steering system failure with no warning. I started up my 2004 Chevy Malibu and as I was backing up off the drive way, my steering wheel started to lock up. No warning lights came on. This is a safety problem, what if this happened while driving at high way speeds! here is a link to this particular concern that I found online. www.lemonlawclaims.com/malibu_brake_and_steering_problem.htm I hope you guys can be able to check it out and make it safe for the driver and the public to drive in peace.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 212009

Malibu

My power steering had to be replaced within the first year - at 7800 miles. Now, at 46,688 miles, it has to be replaced again. I have called GM, and the representative stated they have no recalls on the steering, and in fact would not even admit to the investigation that went on about the steering in these cars. GM will not replace the steering. My husband has the same model care as I, and his steering has been replaced twice, and now he is getting a warning light again, so we are left having to replace 2 steering columns? why do consumers have to pay over and over again.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Apr 032009

Malibu

Mileage 31,610 replaced the steering gear ass'Y., mileage 37,018 installed new steering column, mileage 39,565 replaced new gear, mileage 40,167 replace rr str intermediate shaft lowr ujoint and now at 86,333 03apr09 need to replace intermediate steering shaft. When will this stop" a customer at the dealer ship was told by a salesman that there has been trouble with these steering units since 2004 and now GM dev. A new electric steering system. Now what about all these older cars like mind" why should the consumer keep paying for this mess up. Thank you tom stanich

- Euclid, OH, USA

Mar 092009

Malibu

On March 9th, 2009 my husband was pulling out of our driveway in our 2004 Chevy Malibu when he turned the wheel there was a loud pop and the steering wheel could be moved like a second hand on a clock. Thank goodness he was not on the highway going 65 mph when this happened he could have been killed and as well as anybody within his path. I have done my research on this and I know this is a safety issue however it is not on the recall. 3 different mechanics estimates have been $1,200-$1,800. Meanwhile our car sets in the drive way indefinite, yet we are still making payments and carrying insurance for a useless vehicle that do to manufacturer default is undrivable. There are a ton of people that have listed complaints on the same or similar situation as mine dating back as far 2004 and nothing has been done to help us with the cost of repair. We have families and want to feel save in our vehicles! I feel this should be investigated and repaired. Enough already!!!!! do something.....

- Claremore, OK, USA

Feb 062004

Malibu

Car has major steering problems since 2 months after bot the car and has got worse afraid to drive fear for life got lawyer no one is doing any thing.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

May 132008

Malibu

2004 Chevy Malibu was taken in due to power steering column and service car light coming on and clunking coming from car. Had it in the first dealership first time notified me that it was the steering column $1500 later and it wasn't repaired. Took back to same location. Then they notify me that the same steering column was bad again and now my rack and pinion had to be replaced. $650. Light again now loosing power steering had to take to another dealer. The first one notifies me by letter that I can not come back with my car. Now I had to pay $52 to have the senor that are part of the steering column adjusted. That when I found out about the service notices. Because this is not a recall the owner has to continue to pay. My car is a salvage however, that has nothing to do with the genuine GMC parts that have been installed not once but twice and guess what. The light has come on again. $2400 later and its not fixed. I have talked directly to GM and they are not going to help. The government needs to protect consumer from being taken to the cleaners from a manufacturer that knows there is a problem.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 292007

Malibu

Steering intermediate shaft replaced 06/29/07.

Dec 212006

Malibu

Steering gear assembly replaced 12/21/06.

Dec 062004

Malibu

My 2004 Chevrolet Malibu was parked legally in front of my house. The street was covered with black ice. The driver of a 1999 Ford Ranger truck slipped on the ice and hit the front of my car. His auto insurance, state farm, paid for a rental car for 40 days and paid $5,338.10 in body repairs, including replacing the radiator. However, when it came time to pay $527.18 to replace the steering shaft and the gear shifter, they refused. The reason given was that these parts in the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu have a history of wearing out prematurely. The car ran fine before the accident. However, after reading the complaints on your web site, I would also like to add my complaint. I bought this car as a GM certified used vehicle on August 2, 2007, 17 months before the accident. The car had 31,720 miles on it when I bought it and 34,517 miles at the time of the accident, a difference of 2,797 miles I think people should know that insurance companies do not pay for certain components on the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. This car is still being sold all over the country. I found 7 GM certified used vehicles, Chevrolet 2004 Malibu's for sale within a radius of 250 miles ranging in price from $9,500 to $14,000. People think they are safe when they buy these 2004 Malibu's; they are not. Is there some way they can be taken off the road? the intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. Updated 03/18/09. The consumer was also informed the brakes and gear shift needed to be replaced. Updated 04/09/09.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jan 012009

Malibu

I lose power in my steering on my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls.

- Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Nov 072008

Malibu

Power steering failure on 2004 Chevy Malibu. When backing out of parking space, power steering failed. Since then, steering has intermittently failed, sometimes resulting in violent shaking of steering wheel.

- Bussey, IA, USA

Apr 072006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 20 mph on normal road conditions, the steering wheel locked. The contact had to use force in order to barely turn the steering wheel. She heard a loud clicking noise from the steering system prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they stated that the failure was related to the steering column. The steering column was replaced. The failure recurred and has not been repaired again. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 6,100 and current mileage was 20,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 042008

Malibu

Power steering message comes on and there is only 85,000 miles. No warranty to cover this issue at this early in its life!

- Sardinia, OH, USA

Sep 272008

Malibu

The steering wheel on my Chevrolet Malibu locked up on a busy street without warning. The check engine/service light did not come on until after my steering wheel had already locked on me. After restarting my car 3 to 4 times the steering wheel unlocked. My steering wheel has locked up four times since then. I phoned Chevrolet because my supervisor at work informed me that she had the same problem with her Chevy Malibu, and she had a recall/defect notification. Chevrolet informed me that because my VIN# was not from the factory with the defects they are not liable for repairs.

Nov 132005

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Immediately after purchasing the vehicle in November of 2005, the contact began experiencing failure with the steering column. While driving 20 mph, the steering column stopped moving. She turned the wheel as hard as she could in order to pull the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the steering column was defective. They also stated that the vehicle was under recall and the steering column was replaced. For the past three years, the contact has had to replace the steering column every six months. The manufacturer stated that they would not reimburse her for the repairs of the steering shaft which was believed to be related to other problems.. updated 11/14/08 the steering column was replaced 4 times and the lasst time it was replaced, the steering shaft was replaced as well. Updated 11/19/08.

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

Sep 102008

Malibu

The steering went out on my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls. Fortunately I was in a driveway when it happened. Had this happened on my way to work I am sure that I would have died. I was turning out of a driveway and heard a clunk and then was unable to steer. My steering wheel went all the way around. I checked out recall and complaint websites and found that this has happened several 2004 Malibu owners and Chevy refuses to make this a recall.

- Euclid, OH, USA