2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 25 of 33)

May 062009

Same problems with the steering... intermittently the power steering will not work.

- Amityville, NY, USA

Apr 132009

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering stopped working. The failure occurred intermittently. The contact had to exert force in order to maneuver the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they test drove the vehicle, but could not locate the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Attica, MI, USA

Apr 192009

Electronic power steering system failure with no warning. I started up my 2004 Chevy Malibu and as I was backing up off the drive way, my steering wheel started to lock up. No warning lights came on. This is a safety problem, what if this happened while driving at high way speeds! here is a link to this particular concern that I found online. I hope you guys can be able to check it out and make it safe for the driver and the public to drive in peace.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 212009

My power steering had to be replaced within the first year - at 7800 miles. Now, at 46,688 miles, it has to be replaced again. I have called GM, and the representative stated they have no recalls on the steering, and in fact would not even admit to the investigation that went on about the steering in these cars. GM will not replace the steering. My husband has the same model care as I, and his steering has been replaced twice, and now he is getting a warning light again, so we are left having to replace 2 steering columns? why do consumers have to pay over and over again.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Apr 032009

Mileage 31,610 replaced the steering gear ass'Y., mileage 37,018 installed new steering column, mileage 39,565 replaced new gear, mileage 40,167 replace rr str intermediate shaft lowr ujoint and now at 86,333 03apr09 need to replace intermediate steering shaft. When will this stop" a customer at the dealer ship was told by a salesman that there has been trouble with these steering units since 2004 and now GM dev. A new electric steering system. Now what about all these older cars like mind" why should the consumer keep paying for this mess up. Thank you tom stanich

- Euclid, OH, USA

Mar 092009

On March 9th, 2009 my husband was pulling out of our driveway in our 2004 Chevy Malibu when he turned the wheel there was a loud pop and the steering wheel could be moved like a second hand on a clock. Thank goodness he was not on the highway going 65 mph when this happened he could have been killed and as well as anybody within his path. I have done my research on this and I know this is a safety issue however it is not on the recall. 3 different mechanics estimates have been $1,200-$1,800. Meanwhile our car sets in the drive way indefinite, yet we are still making payments and carrying insurance for a useless vehicle that do to manufacturer default is undrivable. There are a ton of people that have listed complaints on the same or similar situation as mine dating back as far 2004 and nothing has been done to help us with the cost of repair. We have families and want to feel save in our vehicles! I feel this should be investigated and repaired. Enough already!!!!! do something.....

- Claremore, OK, USA

Feb 062004

Car has major steering problems since 2 months after bot the car and has got worse afraid to drive fear for life got lawyer no one is doing any thing.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

May 132008

2004 Chevy Malibu was taken in due to power steering column and service car light coming on and clunking coming from car. Had it in the first dealership first time notified me that it was the steering column $1500 later and it wasn't repaired. Took back to same location. Then they notify me that the same steering column was bad again and now my rack and pinion had to be replaced. $650. Light again now loosing power steering had to take to another dealer. The first one notifies me by letter that I can not come back with my car. Now I had to pay $52 to have the senor that are part of the steering column adjusted. That when I found out about the service notices. Because this is not a recall the owner has to continue to pay. My car is a salvage however, that has nothing to do with the genuine GMC parts that have been installed not once but twice and guess what. The light has come on again. $2400 later and its not fixed. I have talked directly to GM and they are not going to help. The government needs to protect consumer from being taken to the cleaners from a manufacturer that knows there is a problem.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 292007

Steering intermediate shaft replaced 06/29/07.

Dec 212006

Steering gear assembly replaced 12/21/06.

Dec 062004

My 2004 Chevrolet Malibu was parked legally in front of my house. The street was covered with black ice. The driver of a 1999 Ford Ranger truck slipped on the ice and hit the front of my car. His auto insurance, state farm, paid for a rental car for 40 days and paid $5,338.10 in body repairs, including replacing the radiator. However, when it came time to pay $527.18 to replace the steering shaft and the gear shifter, they refused. The reason given was that these parts in the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu have a history of wearing out prematurely. The car ran fine before the accident. However, after reading the complaints on your web site, I would also like to add my complaint. I bought this car as a GM certified used vehicle on August 2, 2007, 17 months before the accident. The car had 31,720 miles on it when I bought it and 34,517 miles at the time of the accident, a difference of 2,797 miles I think people should know that insurance companies do not pay for certain components on the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. This car is still being sold all over the country. I found 7 GM certified used vehicles, Chevrolet 2004 Malibu's for sale within a radius of 250 miles ranging in price from $9,500 to $14,000. People think they are safe when they buy these 2004 Malibu's; they are not. Is there some way they can be taken off the road? the intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. Updated 03/18/09. The consumer was also informed the brakes and gear shift needed to be replaced. Updated 04/09/09.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jan 012009

I lose power in my steering on my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls.

- Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Nov 072008

Power steering failure on 2004 Chevy Malibu. When backing out of parking space, power steering failed. Since then, steering has intermittently failed, sometimes resulting in violent shaking of steering wheel.

- Bussey, IA, USA

Apr 072006

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 20 mph on normal road conditions, the steering wheel locked. The contact had to use force in order to barely turn the steering wheel. She heard a loud clicking noise from the steering system prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they stated that the failure was related to the steering column. The steering column was replaced. The failure recurred and has not been repaired again. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 6,100 and current mileage was 20,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 042008

Power steering message comes on and there is only 85,000 miles. No warranty to cover this issue at this early in its life!

- Sardinia, OH, USA

Sep 272008

The steering wheel on my Chevrolet Malibu locked up on a busy street without warning. The check engine/service light did not come on until after my steering wheel had already locked on me. After restarting my car 3 to 4 times the steering wheel unlocked. My steering wheel has locked up four times since then. I phoned Chevrolet because my supervisor at work informed me that she had the same problem with her Chevy Malibu, and she had a recall/defect notification. Chevrolet informed me that because my VIN# was not from the factory with the defects they are not liable for repairs.

Nov 132005

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Immediately after purchasing the vehicle in November of 2005, the contact began experiencing failure with the steering column. While driving 20 mph, the steering column stopped moving. She turned the wheel as hard as she could in order to pull the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the steering column was defective. They also stated that the vehicle was under recall and the steering column was replaced. For the past three years, the contact has had to replace the steering column every six months. The manufacturer stated that they would not reimburse her for the repairs of the steering shaft which was believed to be related to other problems.. updated 11/14/08 the steering column was replaced 4 times and the lasst time it was replaced, the steering shaft was replaced as well. Updated 11/19/08.

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

Sep 102008

The steering went out on my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls. Fortunately I was in a driveway when it happened. Had this happened on my way to work I am sure that I would have died. I was turning out of a driveway and heard a clunk and then was unable to steer. My steering wheel went all the way around. I checked out recall and complaint websites and found that this has happened several 2004 Malibu owners and Chevy refuses to make this a recall.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Apr 012008

Popping in steering column when turning, occurs all the time.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Aug 252008

I was stopped at a stop sign on mon 8/25/08 when the indicator noise sounded and the words "power steering" showed up on my radio tuner. I felt a small click in my steering wheel at the same time this occurred. When I started driving again, I could tell my power steering had definitely gone out as the wheel was extremely hard to turn. I had absolutely no warning that this would happen. The car had been working great up to that point. (2004 Chevy Malibu w/ 68,673 miles). The power steering was out for the rest of my drive home. Today, when I went to drive it to the dealer for repair, the power steering was working again. I took it to the dealer anyway and they are telling me I need a new steering column. I'm concerned that if I don't get this repaired, the power steering will go out again randomly.

- Green Bay , WI, USA