2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 26 of 33)

Apr 012008

Malibu

Popping in steering column when turning, occurs all the time.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Aug 252008

Malibu

I was stopped at a stop sign on mon 8/25/08 when the indicator noise sounded and the words "power steering" showed up on my radio tuner. I felt a small click in my steering wheel at the same time this occurred. When I started driving again, I could tell my power steering had definitely gone out as the wheel was extremely hard to turn. I had absolutely no warning that this would happen. The car had been working great up to that point. (2004 Chevy Malibu w/ 68,673 miles). The power steering was out for the rest of my drive home. Today, when I went to drive it to the dealer for repair, the power steering was working again. I took it to the dealer anyway and they are telling me I need a new steering column. I'm concerned that if I don't get this repaired, the power steering will go out again randomly.

- Green Bay , WI, USA

Jul 132007

Malibu

Power steering goes out on a regular basis in my 2004 Chevy Malibu ls. I have had to pull over and turn off the car and restart on several occasions to get steering power back. The dealerships claim there is nothing wrong with my car and have charged me 110 dollars in diagnostics and unsuccessful repairs.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 252008

Malibu

Power steering problem. Clunking when turning before. Now power assist comes and goes. Very dangerous.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 252008

Malibu

Refer to NHTSA action #: PE04031, my car had the same problem. I brought it to the Chevy dealer in 2005 and was told "that's how the new electronic power steering" works. I always felt it wasn't right and have narrowly avoided crashes a few times when the steering froze up. My mechanic noted the problem during the car's yearly inspection and replaced the steering module. This is potentially a very dangerous situation that Chevrolet should be responsible for fixing.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Jul 032008

Malibu

I lost power steering on my 2004 Chevy Malibu last week. Car has 34K miles on it. For about 4-5 seconds there was absolutely no steering, then no power steering. This is a safety issue absolutely. GM refuses to pay for repair or help me at all. They also refuse according the their spokesman, to do a recall.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Jun 172008

Malibu

Power steering failed while car being driven.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

May 092008

Malibu 6-cyl

I purchased a Chevrolet Malibu in the year 2004. The car is over 100,000 miles and out of warranty, however, the incident that I experienced with this vehicle is life and death hazard in the manufacture of this car. I have owned Chevrolet's since I can remember and my dad is an X-employee of General Motors. The situation that took place with my car is while in automatic drive gear and going traffic speed the power steering unit shut down and I could have been seriously injured or killed because you are now driving manually with the steering in the car. This defect in workmanship could have resulted in a catastrophic accident where many people could have been injured or hurt! if my wife or daughter was driving the vehicle I don, T think they would have controlled the vehicle. I called General Motors and they brushed me off? the complaint no. I filed is 7-1630430541. I also, wrote a letter to the consumer complaint division of GM in detroit. I have not heard back anything as of yet! I have never owned a new vehicle that where the power steering unit shut down in driving mode. I think this complaint represents a defect in the manufacture of this car. I had GM responsible for the fixing of my car warranty or no warranty. The car is only 4 years old and I maintain the servicing of this vehicle on a regular basis. In the past three years I had 3 replacements on my gas cap also because of defect in workmanship. This incident took place 1 day prior to the filing of the complaint with GM. I was really shaken up when this power steering shut down. I am not sure of the exact day but it was fri. In the beginning of May. I called GM the next day in regards to this incident. So, the date may be off you can check with GM on the date I filed the telephone complaint. Thank you, julius kenny veres.

- S, NJ, USA

Jun 012008

Malibu

When turning the steering wheel it makes popping noises and can be felt on the steering wheel. It appears to be getting worse over time. I am a little concerned that it may be ready to fail. The dealership indicated that it was not serious.

- Walnut Shade, MO, USA

May 162008

Malibu

I had a small vibration in my steering wheel at about 74,000 miles. I took it into the dealer and they changed the steering column. I now have 91,000 miles on my car at it is vibrating worse then it ever has before.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 112008

Malibu 6-cyl

Electric steering will loose power. The steering column has been replaced twice. The first time the deals replaced it free of charge. Second time the dealer paid for the parts but I had to pay for the labor $ $225.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Apr 252008

Malibu

Multiple problems with this car - left turn signal does not work - car is aligned and still wants to go left (electrical steering issues I am told) - adjustable pedals do not adjust - visor mirror is broken -

- Fenton, MO, USA

Mar 042008

Malibu 6-cyl

My steering wheel started to move on its own even at idle. This happened for a day, then I lost my power steering as I tried to turn left in a parking lot. The car wouldn't turn. Now I cannot steer left or right and the check engine light is continuously on and you see "power steering" in the info box on the dash. I am upset that I am finding many complaints on the internet and Chevy/GM has not made this issue a mandatory recall. I will be even more upset if I run into the same issues that other people have had by having their steering columns replaced 2 and 3 times only to continue having problems!!!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 202007

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu. In January 2007 I noticed a clunking noise which could be felt in the steering wheel when I was turning. On 02/07/2007 I took the car to a Chevy dealer and they replaced the steering gearpart number: 15858368, and another gear, part number: 06508. About 2 weeks ago I noticed the problem had returned, the car now has 39,000 miles on it. Something should be done about this as I have seen multiple complaints about this and numerous people, such as myself, reporting multiple failures. Now that the car is out of warranty I will have to pay for it out of pocket to fix a Chevrolet defect, not to mention the obvious safety issue.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jul 012004

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While making a right or left turn at any speed, the steering would make a grinding or grating noise. The dealer could not find or hear any failures. The contact stated that the steering wheel is now making a very loud grating and grinding noise. She scheduled an appointment to take the vehicle to the dealer. The purchase date was unknown. The current mileage was 23,836 and failure mileage was 12,000.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Nov 072007

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Malibu steering column has been replaced 3 times and now the steering goes out again and the car is out of warranty. I paid over $100 to the Chevy dealership to figure out the steering problem and an eletrical problem just for them to tell me there is nothing wrong. However both problems still exist. Chevy does not want to pay for any repairs, but they say they stand by their cars.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jun 222007

Malibu

Vehicle started to drive hard/loud after the first year. Vehicle at dealer for problems with lights found problem with steering rack and leaking seal at the axel shaft. Replaced steering rack and fix seal also replace brakes. Problem with gas cap which lead to a series of problems including need to replace a throttle body and then the transmission. Traded vehicle December 2007 will never buy another Chevrolet. 2004 Malibu was purchased new in February 2004 with only 7 miles.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 102007

Malibu 6-cyl

A clunking in the steering wheel when turning at low speed. Took my 1st Chevy to the mechanic with the same noise and was told I bought a lemon because GM can't resolve issues with the steering column so I was bummed. I went out and purchased another GM thinking that the last car was a lemon and it couldn't happen again. I was sadly mistaken! I've bought 2 GM cars in the last 3 years and now regret it, I owned foreign cars before and it's the first and last time I'm buying GM unfortunately....

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Sep 282007

Malibu

Got power steering warning. Had diagnostic check with no results. Ignored the warning for a month. Power steering failed while in a parking lot. Shut off engine, restarted and had power steering again. Happened a second time this time with my wife driving. She managed to pull over and shut off car. Power steering worked when the car was re-started.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Feb 042005

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu with noise in the steering wheel customer states that this problem has been going for 2 years without correction from the dealership* the dealer replaced various parts in the steering, however the problem remained the same. The battery was replaced. The vehicle hesitated to start. The dealer found the ignition switch had shorted out internally. The horn was replaced. The cd player made a clicking sound.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA