2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 4 of 33)

Sep 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), but the dealer stated that the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the power steering warning indicator illuminated and made a sound. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Pittsburg , PA, USA

Nov 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

I have 3 recall letters and each states the parts aren't available. Those recalls are:14116,14152;13036. These recall repairs state that they affect the safety of this vehicle and yet we are forced to drive a vehicle with possible life threatening issues while the parts are not available. The safety issues aside, the recalls affect the value of this product by the implication it's defective. These issues should be dealt with swiftly as to minimize possible fatalities and if no parts are available, then a safe rental vehicle of like kind should be available at no cost to the owners.

- Atascosa, TX, USA

Aug 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the power steering failed. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

After purchasing my Malibu I have had multiple incidents where I was unable to unlock my doors electrically from inside/outside (after a fight with the dealer that issue was fixed after being told I needed to bring the car back and forth for 3 weeks), since then I have had to replace my turn signal bulbs once a month, my left turn signal socket looks like it has been burnt and is very black in color, still cant get GM to acknowledge that there were problems with this on these Malibu's even though there are service bulletins on this issue. Next I have had my dic system show me messages saying locked and my radio shuts off erratically and my ignition will shut off. GM dealer will not accept responsibility, next I have had the message on my dic show no power steering and 3 out of the 4 times I have lost steering all together and luckily was backing out of driveway, had to shut car off and wait for system to give me back steering control. The 4th time I veered into a guard rail going about 25 mph and crunched my front passenger quarter panel when the ps assist failed and I had no steering. Again, shut car off and had to wait for system to reset and again had steering control. I am now having issues where my entire console in the vehicle is always hot to the touch and my ignition switch inside the car is extremely hot even right after the car is started. GM will not address this issue either when I have contacted the dealer where I bought the vehicle. I am now having steering issues where my Malibu wants to go left when I am attempting to make a right turn and when making a left turn it wants to go way left all by itself. I have multiple recalls on this vehicle and to no avail they are not being addressed. I am wondering if I have to be in a worse crash and be injured severely or another person in order to get anyone to fix these issues or take this car back.

- Laurel, MT, USA

Aug 022010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, he depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle would not respond. The contact had to use the emergency brake in order to stop the vehicle. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The contact also stated that the power steering warning light illuminated and when making a right or left turn the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Providence , RI, USA

Aug 042009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact's vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn while operating the vehicle and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the parts were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 012006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The service soon warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the power steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts needed were unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 122011

Malibu 6-cyl

Heavy snapping sound (hard enough to be felt) upon turning wheels in either direction. It has been noted to me that this is a "quirk" of the steerng for this model and can not be remedied. The car was bought used and told that the rack and pinion steering had been replaced but did not remedy the situation and was not a safety consideration. In my opinion, when something makes a snapping sound and can be felt, this is surely a safety factor. Can you advise if this is a safety factor or not? I'm not really comfortabe driving this car.

- Reynoldsville, PA, USA

Jan 232014

Malibu

While operating this car the power steering will go out. In order to re-set this you must put the car into neutral, shut the car off, turn the car back on and put back in gear. If this does not work we must start the process over. All at the same time of trying to get the car off the road. GM has ignored my request for a replacement car due to a couple other issues. No parts are available for the recalls on my car& GM does not know when they will be available. I have a 3 month old being transported in the vehicle. This vehicle also travels 65 miles a day on the interstate to & from work. GM does not see the importance of the safety issues being presented on a daily basis not only to me & my family but to anyone traveling around me on the interstate. I am tired of getting the run around. I have several emails that show no response to the situation.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 6-cyl

We have received three recall notices for the above mentioned problems. All of the notices say that the car will be fixed free of charge by the dealer but parts are not available at the current time. When I got the second notice I called and talked to a woman at the Chevrolet division of GM and was told the parts should be available within two weeks. A month later we got our third notice of a different problem and when I called again I was told that they had not determined the "root" of the problem so they don't know which parts need to be replaced. Also they could not tell me when the solution would be found and therefore when the parts would be available. In addition I would think an american company like GM would be hiring americans to answer their customer's complaints. It was pretty obvious that the person I talked to today was most likely a call person from india. Any ideas when these problems will be solved"? who should I complain to next?"

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 282011

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving to work at 0615 - temp was 41 degrees. Typical winter morning. I was traveling 45 mph due to the time of year on a road I have driven for 27 years. My car had 4 studded snow tires on it for the winter driving. Going up a hill and around a curve I lost control and steering seemed to be "gone" I could not gain control at all. My car spun around went over an embankment - flipped over and rolled landing on it's top. The doors were dug into the ground so escape on my own was impossible. The car was totaled. We assumed it was just a fluke and that I must have hit black ice - which I have done before. Never had I not been able to gain control again though. This car had problems with steering and "stopping" before. I had it in the shop more than a couple of times to be checked out and was told nothing was wrong. When I heard about the recalls, I called to notify GM that I had crashed my car - in case they needed the information and they asked me if I still had the car. I told them "no" it had been totaled. They then told me that my information didn't matter since I no longer had the car!

- Rockford, WA, USA

Mar 222014

Malibu

Power steering stopped working. Had to replace the steering column and steering motor. Was re-placed at a private mechanic as I did not know there was a recall. Since finding out concerning the recall I have called and called GM sends recall notices for everything except the correct recall. All I want is to be reimbursed for the cost of repairing the car. They can not seem to understand I have already had the car repaired. When you do get a letter for a recall they say they know that it could be dangerous they are concerned but the parts are not available yet. I have received 2 recall letters for things having nothing to do with my repair and they say the same thing. So strange my mechanic could get parts but GM can't"?" thank you (this is the second notice I have sent).

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Mar 102014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the repair exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The contact did not experience a failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue.

- Archie, MO, USA

Jul 182014

Malibu

I received two recalls: 13036 and 14116. Both indicating potential dangerous situations if the affected part malfunctions. Both recalls indicated that while GM was notifying me per the national traffic and motor vehicle Safety Act, that neither one has any parts available. There is no estimated date of availability for these parts for either recall, just that we will receive another letter when the parts are available. I called the my dealer and the 1 (800)222-1020 Chevrolet number and received the same information. Sadly, the dealer did not have any more information than I did and didn't even know about the 13036 recall yet. This is not acceptable. GM should know when we can expect parts to be available and include that information in the first letter, so we know when to expect the second letter. Also, a recall should be uploaded to their dealers before or at the same time one is sent to consumers so they can be prepared for calls.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Jul 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering stopped working 5 times in 4 hours on Thursday, July 10, 2014 and it is now at faulkner in trevose, pa with no expected time to receive the new GM part. This is unacceptable; therefore, contact GM and insist that they proceed immediately with the manufacture of this part. Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Jul 102014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while reversing, the power steering failed as the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 202,337.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Jul 192013

Malibu 6-cyl

I contacted the NHTSA last year (2013) and I contacted GM, Chevy, and my Chevy dealership at that time to report that my steering column in my 2004 4-door Chevy Malibu had locked up when I was trying to merge onto an expressway. Since then, all the news about not only this defect, but other defects as well, have been found in these GM vehicles. I finally rec'd. a safety recall ltr., but it only indicates the "part is not available" to fix my car and that I will have to wait on addl. Notification as to when I can schedule a time to take my car in for the repair, since supposedly the dealership is waiting on the manufacturer of the parts in question to actually "make" the part. "??? why is it taking so long to get what the recall # 14116 indicates the part needed to repair my car is a "torque sensor assembly." I would say that before any more new cars are produced and sold that the "defective & dangerous" vehicles need to be repaired so people are not "at risk of a crash or injuries or possibly even death, " due to the power steering assist going out. Why are we having to wait so long on the parts needed to repair our vehicles and why isn't the highway transportation safety Agency putting more pressure on the manufacturers and the dealerships to get our vehicles fixed and/or getting us temporary "replacement vehicles" until the parts are in?" one of the incidents where the steering column locked up occurred 07/19/13 (last yr.), but it has happened several more times, and once when my oldest son was driving us to and from dinner one night. So, I'm not the only one who has experienced this dangerous problem with the steering column. Here's my previous complaint NHTSA id number (ODI #) : 10537050. I registered addl. Complaints to the NHTSA since then, and "verbal" calls/complaints to GM & Chevy, but I'm still getting the run-around. Please help!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 252013

Malibu 4-cyl

I was making a turn when the power steering in my vehicle locked up, making it hard to complete the turn and leading me into the oncoming lane, striking the bumper of another vehicle. I had the car towed to a private mechanic who diagnosed the issue and replaced the steering column at my cost. Less than a year later, the power steering has once more failed! I received a recall notice and took the car into the dealership. I was informed that in fact it was the recalled parts that had failed but since they were unsure of when the parts would be available, there was nothing they could do. When inquiring about a rental car, was told it is safe to drive!

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 182014

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering went out while driving. It was almost impossible to try to steer the car. I contacted dealer and was advised a recall from GM on this car with the steering problem however no parts available. I just contacted GM today and was advised no estimate on when parts will become available however vehicle is safe to drive" I mean seriously? how is it safe to drive when you can't steer it?? I can't believe GM would say it is safe to drive. My wife normally drives this car and if it went out while she was driving, there is no way she could turn the steering wheel. I don't want her driving it now so what is she going to do about a car while GM figures out how to get the parts" they need to make this right to the customers. At least offer to pay for a rental while they get the parts to fix it. Instead, they will wait for more people to die first.

- O Fallon , IL, USA