2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 33)

Oct 052006

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while starting the ignition, the power steering warning indicator illuminated with the loss of power steering. There was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number 14V153000 (steering) however, the remedy part was unavailable to perform the repair. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Apr 282014

Malibu 4-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering issues. The consumer stated the power steering loss occurred intermittently. He was informed the vehicle was not included in the recall, and the best thing to do, was to sell it, or give it to a junk yard, as the cost to repair it, exceeded the value of the vehicle. The consumer received a second opinion, and it was determined there were no leaks and there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. A few weeks prior, the inner and outer rods were replaced.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Jun 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

My car has had interior electrical problems since the day that I bought. I have had things like the cd deck and the brakes and alloy rims fixed after having problems with them however I have had the front left blinker fail to work and then an hour later it works, the next hour does not work. The interior lighting all stopped working and the dealership says that it is electrical, at the same time that the lights stopped working I started to be unable to shift my car from low into 1 or 2. I have had my power steering go out multiple times and then after pulling over, shutting off my car and turning it back on it worked again. I have almost go into an accident multiple times because the front left blinker stops working mid drive, or the power steering stops working. This car clearly has multiple electrical problems that should be recalled and fixed because they are very dangerous.

- North Branch , MN, USA

Jun 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

As I turned onto an exit ramp my power steering went and the engine light came on and chime sounded. No warning, just no power. There seems to be a recall, but I never received any information. This vehicle also has a problem with headlights and directional lights blowing out constantly. The most recent directional light blew out, I replaced it, and within minutes blew out again. It seems they are overheating and melting the plastic cover.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Jun 042014

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while turning at 40 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical rack pinion system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 100,163.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

Through the years we have had off and on episodes of the car not starting even when we had a good battery and in the middle of driving the power steering giving out. We finally took the vehicle to a mechanic after being advised to replace the battery. The mechanic, GM dealer, advised we need a whole new steering column, this was 6-25-13. In less then a year the car continues to not start and today the power steering again went out on my 15 year old son as he was driving home. We have left E-mails with Chevrolet with no return. The last aforementioned GM dealer said that we would get a call about the recall on the steering but appears there is no recall on the ignition, despite several news articles saying there was. We are now out of a vehicle due GM not responding.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 082014

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering failed causing the steering wheel to become difficult to turn. The vehicle was restarted and was able to function normally. The contact stated that the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

May 072014

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. After turning the vehicle off and restarting it, the vehicle began to function normally. The contact indicated that the defect recurred multiple times. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Feb 082014

Malibu 6-cyl

Recall was announced months ago for the steering, but still have not received any recall notice or information. I had to have it replaced and paid for it because it failed. Was told by GM 800 service number that I would be getting a notice, which would have instructions on how to be reimbursed. As of today,06/03/14, I have received nothing.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

May 222014

Malibu 6-cyl

This is the 5th time this had happened with my 2004 Malibu, but the scariest. Similar to the other times, but this time on a curve. I heard a chime& "power steering" appeared in the message box. My car veered to the ieft into traffic and I could barely steer it. It took all my 66 yea old strength to turn the wheel & get into my lane. I pulled off asap & turned car off in a safe location. Shaking for 15 min. I don't understand why this car is safe to drive. It does not revert to manual steering. The CEO is lying. I have owned manual steering cars and this does not steer that way. I am afraid to drive it it has also stalled with numerous lights coming on. ABS, engine, and one I think is another steering light, yellow with a line through it. Why aren't they pulled?cruise control comes on by itself & won't shut off.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was leaving work and started my car and the power steering was not working. The check engine light on my dash panel also came on. This happened in a separate instance a couple days prior. The first time it happened I turned the car off and restarted it and the power steering was fine. The second instance I tried to restart the car a couple times with no change. I took the car home and then to the dealership where I get my maintenance done the next day. They replaced a power steering component and I paid for the charges. This all happened prior to my knowledge of these recalls.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Aug 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

I got in my car and tried to crank it and it made a clicking noise. It took hours before it started, on another incident; several times I couldn't shift my car from park. My power steering light came on and when I was coming to a stop at a light the car list control serving left to right until I came to a complete stop. I always have to gas the car to get gas to the engine for the car to start. When I took it to the dealer he said that it was a recall problem and he's had several customers with my car come to him with the same problem. When I looked up the recall I noticed that my car was having the same issues as reported.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

I lost complete control in the steering column as I was turning left at an intersection in traffic. The steering wheel freely turned 360 degrees, but the tires did not move. I had no way of controlling the vehicle as it was moving in traffic. Had I been on a highway or traveling at a higher speed, I could have been seriously injured and injured other drivers! the mechanic my vehicle was towed to stated that it was the rack and pinion component of the vehicle and there is currently a technical service bulletin for that component. Steering function is a vital component of any vehicle and I find it scary and appalling that this occurred and is not covered by a GM recall. Driving a car at any speed, not to mention highway speeds, without any steering control is extremely dangerous.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nov 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

After being at a full stop I slowly entered onto another road taking a left turn. A powering steering message showed up on my radio screen and my steering was extremely difficult! on about 5 or 6 other occasions the same message appeared on my radio screen and my power steering failed. One time was while backing my car up, other times where when I turned my car on. After all incidents so far I was able to turn off my car, wait a minute, turn the car back on and the problem fixed itself.

- Penacook, NH, USA

Mar 012014

I have had my car since 2011. I didn't have any problems with my car until 2012. My steering shaft broke and it was replaced at a Chevy dealership. All was fine until this year in March, where my steering was becoming very hard to do. When I turned my wheel, it would make sounds as if it was breaking and I needed to use a little more force to turn the wheel. As of May 15, 2014, I took my car to a Chevy dealership where a family member asked if they could see if any parts on my car was on recall and there are several recalls for the Malibu. My steering is getting worse by the day and my car is driving horribly. I have a 4 yr and this is my only transportation to and from work. I'm afraid to drive too far because the steering wheel might get stuck and may cause an accident. I wanted to report this before something actually happened.

- Avon Park, FL, USA

Apr 012004

Malibu 4-cyl

Since I purchased the car in 2004, it has been at the Chevrolet dealer 4 times for the steering column and rack and pinion. The last time I brought it in was round 2007 and it started going out again in 2008. I was fed up with taking it to the dealer, so filed a complaint and was hoping it would get recalled. I checked the recall list for this year and found my vehicle was not on the steering recall list. I am very upset and will never purchase another GM car again. I refuse to pay out of my pocket for this ongoing issue.

- Paramount, CA, USA

Feb 262014

Malibu 6-cyl

As I was driving a loss of power steering happened. The car was almost impossible to turn. I had to brake very fast to keep from hitting the car in the next lane.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 112013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed and the steering wheel was hard to turn. The failure recurred intermittently over a period of six months. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the steering column and torque angle sensor. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Fairport, NY, USA

May 112014

TL-the contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering would intermittently fail without warning. The vehicle would become increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and current mileage was 140,000.

- Aurora, IL, USA

May 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

After starting the car late at night leaving a friends house, was in the act of pulling out into the street when the steering became very difficult to turn, and the warning light came on. I was stuck out into the middle of the road until I turned off the car and turned it back on to rest the systems. If it was earlier in the day I very much believe we could have been injured by another car. I have had it do it to me before for just a couple of seconds the it was fine. Im getting very concerned about this problem.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA