2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 8 of 33)

Jan 242014

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving at 55mph out of nowhere powersteering lost power. Had no control of steering as well as the vehicle. Finally power steering returned to normal and I was able to pull the car off the road. Checked for error codes and found out the code is for a sensor for the electronic steering for this vehicle. Many complaints about this issue. Why has no recall been put in place for this known problem. Will be going to see an attorney too file a lawsuit. You would think that the steering of the car would be a number 1 priority for any car maker.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Jan 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

Backing out of driveway steering light came on and steering wheel very hard to turn, next time vehicle started problem was not there, happened again two days later at stop sign, almost turned into on coming traffic. Very dangerous problem. 2005 and up recalled why not 2004?

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Dec 262013

First of all I don't really expect this issue to be fixed as it has been going on for 10 years now with nothing happening to remedy the situation from either the government or Chevrolet, im doing this like others im sure to bring the problem to the front door and to make myself feel a little better, this car was meant to be a first car for my daughter and still is.what needs to be done is at least notify buyers that the Malibu has a very dangerous problem with the power steering before they buy it and that expect to pay at least $700 dollars once if your lucky.but most likely at least three times that amount according to owners and that Chevrolet has created a power steering system that will fail and hopefully not only kill the person driving it but others as well, and nobody seems to care or do anything, what's really bad is even if its fixed, the problem will likely occur again as this problem isn't even fixable by the same company that created it well I hope someone reads this but I doubt it and hopefully there's someone with morals still out there that has more power to do something than the average consumer can who knows this problem is the most obvious case of corporate greed and larceny I have ever seen in my life yet they are still getting away with it.go usa.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 282013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the driver was traveling approximately 55 mph when the steering wheel seized. The front wheels would not respond or turn in response to steering attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Custer , MI, USA

Jun 202013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving 55 mph when the power steering assist malfunctioned and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact stated that the power steering warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed and the contact was informed that the power steering column was defective. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Dec 172013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph and changing lanes, the power steering assist failed without warning. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and was not taken for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 140,500.

- Troy, IL, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel became stiff and difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light also illuminated. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the mechanic stated that the steering column would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware if the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Oct 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

When driving down the road my cars power steering suddenly went out and the alarm came on, on the radio "power steering". sometimes it goes out just by putting my car reverse or drive. It also will go out while turning! this is a very serious issue as I have two small children and this can cause a wreck. This is my only way of going I can't afford to fix gms mistake!

- Bowdon, GA, USA

Nov 062013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was traveling on the interstate and went to make an exit, turn and lost the power steering after the wrench displayed on the dashboard. Per the dealer they advised the sensor is bad/faulty. I reviewed the other complaints similar to my experience per Chevy my VIN was not included in the investigation # PE04031 I would like to see the matter further researched if im having the exact issues as the other Malibu im not understanding why GM would repair the issue especially considering the safety issue.

- Fort Carson , CO, USA

Jul 062011

Power steering went out in my 2004 Chevy Malibu. Contacted dealer - they wouldn't do anything. Very dangerous the power steering is very intermittent, locks up and stays frozen/locked up until you cut the car off. When I cut the car back on it is unfrozen/unlocked and the steering works - however it goes out intermittently and always happens while driving. Multiple complaints on this vehicles steering, which is very expensive to replace. I have heard that there were recalls on some of the 04 Malibu, but not all of them for the power steering motor.

- Gordonsville, VA, USA

Sep 132013

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving home from work. I was turning into my apartment complex and my steering wheel tightened up. I ran into the median that divides the entrance and the exit of a complex. Due to not being able to turn the steering wheel. There was a message on my radio display that said power steering. After I hit the median, I turned my car off to get out and see the extent of the damage to my car and the property. When I got back into my car and started it again the steering was fine again. A few days later I experienced it the same problem again while drive on the highway during rush hour. After further research I have found that there are many others who have experienced the same problem and there seem to be no fix if the dealership can't find the problem. The dealership told me that if they were to take my word and fix the steering column and that did not fix the problem I would be out of $1000+ dollars. This is the only problem that I have ever had with this vehicle and there needs to be something done about this problem. Fast!!

- Pooler, GA, USA

Oct 152013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and became hard to turn. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 111,000.

- Streetsboro , OH, USA

Sep 072013

Malibu 6-cyl

While out driving doing regular errands, I needed to make a right turn at an intersection and realized that the wheel would not move. I had to force the steering wheel to move in order to make the turn. I was afraid to go any further because I was on a relatively busy street and did not want to have an accident. I pulled over and called my son who told me that it sounded like the power steering failed. After I calmed down, I drove the car approximately two miles back to my home. I have informed Chevrolet of the problem.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 032011

2004 Chevrolet Malibu; steering problems; I had electrical power steering replaced 8/2011. Did ok until spring 2012, when weather became warmer. From spring to late fall, I have no power steering. This is dangerous. I never know when it will be going out. My car only had @45000 miles on it when it happened. This is just uncalled for. I have a young son; this is my only means of transportation; and it is dangerous. My car only has 64,000 miles on it now. I have contacted every Agency I am aware of, and cannot get a recall in place nor any advice on how to fix the problem. Please...need a recall!

- Kilmarnock, VA, USA

Jul 302013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving and when I went to turn the corner my steering went out. I could barely turn it. I ended up pulling over and sat for a while but then when I started driving again it didn't do it but than it happened again on 9/08/2013.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 222013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was restarted and performed normally. The vehicle had a power steering motor replacement previously but the problem had since recurred. The vehicle was not repaired or inspected since the recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Valley Stream , NY, USA

Sep 062013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph and attempting a turn, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was pulled over and the contact allowed the vehicle to sit for several hours before the power steering assist resumed normal function. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- London, MI, USA

Sep 052013

Power steering light has been coming on intermittently over the last 5 months. Today my power steering failed completely. Was very difficult to steer. After turning vehicle off then back on it started working again, then failed again. Apparently this is a common problem with this car.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 052013

I was driving to a doctors appointment when all of a sudden my power steering went out while I was driving during rush hour traffic. Very scary incident considering the fact that there was no warning and I was in mid-turn. I have been researching and apparently this has been an issue. I turn the car off and looked it over and nothing seemed to be obviously wrong, so I restarted the car and the service lights on the dash disappeared and the vehicle was running as if nothing had happened and the power steering was back to proper function. I am now a little nervous driving the car, because I have read a lot of peoples input and stories and it repeats itself frequently once it happens for the first time. There has been a motion for a recall, but they still have not recalled this model. This is a very serious issue and could very easily cause injury or death depending on the situation you are in when the malfunction happens. I appreciate your time researching this matter.

- Republic, MO, USA

Aug 202013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering failed as the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the internal steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

- Manville, NJ, USA