2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 33)

Sep 052013

Malibu

I was driving to a doctors appointment when all of a sudden my power steering went out while I was driving during rush hour traffic. Very scary incident considering the fact that there was no warning and I was in mid-turn. I have been researching and apparently this has been an issue. I turn the car off and looked it over and nothing seemed to be obviously wrong, so I restarted the car and the service lights on the dash disappeared and the vehicle was running as if nothing had happened and the power steering was back to proper function. I am now a little nervous driving the car, because I have read a lot of peoples input and stories and it repeats itself frequently once it happens for the first time. There has been a motion for a recall, but they still have not recalled this model. This is a very serious issue and could very easily cause injury or death depending on the situation you are in when the malfunction happens. I appreciate your time researching this matter.

- Republic, MO, USA

Aug 202013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering failed as the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the internal steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Jul 192013

Malibu 6-cyl

Entering expressway from ramp and merging onto expressway, then with left turn signal on I had a clear lane to merge left and when I did this the steering column locked up. Luckily, I was in the lane I intended to be it, but it scared me half to death. Still driving forward, and unsure if the steering would be ok again, then the steering column seemed to ease up and "unlocked" and I was able to steer it and turn it normally again. It was only for a few minutes the first time it happened and I was able to drive it normally and eventually turned back into the right-hand lane to exit the expressway to get to my destination. Unfortunately, this same issue with the steering wheel/column "locking up" happened again about a week later, when I was again entering an expressway from a ramp and trying to merge onto the expressway and trying to merge left to get into the moving traffic. I took the car to a Chevy dealership but they couldn't find a "code" registered for the steering wheel/column locking up and the mechanic drove the car and it didn't happen with him. Is anyone at GM or the Chevy engineers or the NHTSA looking in to this" I'm just now checking the NHTSA website to find out if anyone else is having this problem. I see a few reports, but no real answers for owners who are experiencing this serious and very dangerous problem. A steering wheel/column locking up even for a few seconds can cause a very serious accident and possibly a fatality. Please let me know what is being done to correct this and what can I tell my Chevy dealership to get them to "fix" my car so I feel safe in it again?"

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 142013

Malibu

I was driving heard a pop and then the airbag light came on. I then noticed the wheel was turned half way and I was still going straight. This was very dangerous thank god I was on a street alone. I took it to the dealer (hove) they told me my extended warrant had expired due to mileage and it was $1300 to fix. On top of the issue of safety I also don't have the cash and I need my car. I have seen all the reports from this problem and strongly feel this should be a recalled piece.

- Bourbonnais, IL, USA

Jul 232013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became very loose. The failure recurred several times before the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the power steering and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic however, the technician was unable to diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Aug 152012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and it became hard to turn. The power steering warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The contact stated that the front drivers seat became lower and they were unable to adjust the front or back. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for both failures where the failures were unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000. The current mileage was 95,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving down the interstate and all of a sudden, steering got stiff and my dash light (wrench) lit up and chimed. I'm glad I had both hands on the steering wheel or else it could have taken me for a joy ride. Had my wife and my infant son at the time with me. This definitely needs to be attended to because it's a serious safety issue. Now, I have 100,000 miles on the car and it's still doing the same thing. I don't have the money to replace such a thing. This needs to pushed with GM to have recalled!

- Pierre, SD, USA

Jun 272007

Malibu 6-cyl

We bought the car used with 34,000 miles on it in 3/2006.there was a clunking in the steering when the steering wheel was turned. The dealership replaced the steering column on 12/2007 with 66,000 miles. The clunking was still there and we were told that this is normal. Since then the steering has gotten worse. The dealership has tried to find the problem but says it can find nothing wrong. Yet sometimes the steering will lockup at low speed when backing up or turning while stopped. It has not done this while driving at road speed (or I would not drive it). However at road speed the steering is very vague. It requires an almost quarter turn of the steering wheel to get the car to respond to a steering input to turn left or right. This is not safe. There is also warning lights that come on the dash, and warning bells that sound, and sometimes they go back off other times car needs to shut off and restarted and it is ok then. Check engine light stays on most of the time, again dealership can not find the problem. Sometimes the whole dash cluster goes out, the car stays running and they come back on after a time and again if you cut off and restart the car it is ok again for a while. The car currently has 150,000 on it and I have an independent mechanic checking it over to see if he can find the problem. The Chevrolet dealership can't find what is wrong to fix it, or so they say.

- Edinburg, VA, USA

Jun 192012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited a strange noise when driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Dec 282012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while parking, the steering wheel failed with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the motor and the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and became hard to turn. The power steering warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed, which located the failure at the power steering motor and column. The steering rack and pinion were previously repaired, however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired for the recent failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,900 and the approximate current mileage was 29,000.

- Yonker , NY, USA

Jun 102013

Malibu

While pulling out of a business parking lot with my mother in the vehicle, I turned the steering wheel to back out and it wouldn't turn at first. I cut the car off and restarted it once again, this tie the steering wheel turned for about half a turn and the just kept on turning with a knock every full rotation. The wheels were not moving at all.no matter how many times I restarted the car it never worked. So I was forced to block half of the parking lot until my car was flat-bedded back to my house. Previous to this incident I had experienced the wheel stiffen up at low speeds but it always went right away, I have seen countless people online posting stories about this happening to them, and I was just driving on the freeway minutes earlier and this could've happened then and been a tragedy, why has this not been recalled"???"

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 092013

Malibu 6-cyl

This happened a few times throughout may, happened a few times this week (May 29- June 5, 2013), and happened almost twenty times today - within a half hour period! I will be driving and then out of nowhere the steering wheel locks up, making it unable to turn in either direction. The screen reads 'power steering' when this happens. This is incredibly dangerous. It has happened to me most frequently either right after turning or in the middle of a turn, which is unfortunate since the state I live in has rounded exit and onramps - exactly where it happened to me today. It has happened on the highway multiple times today, while waiting at a red light, and while driving in city traffic. There needs to be a recall on this, because I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to my getting in a serious accident due to how often it is happening.

- Henrico, VA, USA

May 212013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while making a turn at 45 mph, the power steering malfunctioned and it extremely difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column and the power steering modular was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 142,000.

- Greenville , OH, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu max. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed and could not be turned. The failure was experienced numerous times. The steering wheel returned to normal function after the engine was shut off and restarted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 130,000. Updated 07/16/13

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

May 302013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 3 mph, there was a complete loss of powering steering with an illumination of a warning message. The engine was turned off and then restarted in order to reset. The vehicle was able to resume normally. The failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000....updated 07-29-13

- Poland, OH, USA

Mar 182010

Malibu

First started in March 2013, my power steering will occasionally go out while driving, making it very difficult to steer. The only to get it to work is to shut the car off and restart it. I feel very unsafe driving myself and my children!

- Whitehall, NY, USA

May 262013

Malibu

Power steering stops intermittently. Warning light comes on. Then goes away if the car is re-started. Near accident because I couldn't steer.

- Havre, MT, USA

May 232013

Malibu 4-cyl

My daughter was driving to school this morning, and everything seemed to be fine. She pulled out of our neighborhood and into the turning lane on a fast moving street to turn into her school parking lot. As she went to turn, the steering wheel locked up right as she was turning into oncoming traffic. She said it took everything in her to turn the steering wheel enough just so she could get onto the curb and out of the way. She then went to park and could barely make it into a parking space. She said when she first started to turn, a sound went off; and a gold wrench sign appeared underneath her rpms. She turned off the car once in her parking space and then turned it back on, and the steering wheel was still locked. She did it one more time, and it finally unlocked. Her, my other daughter, and my friend's two kids who were also in the car, were extremely shaken and on the verge of tears. It was a terrifying experience for them all. My most precious things in life were almost in a serious (perhaps even deadly) accident because of this power steering failure. I know this is not the first time this has been reported because I found numerous accounts of this exact same thing happening online. It's time Chevrolet finally steps up, takes responsibility for this, and recalls all these vehicles to get this power steering failure fixed before it takes a life (or lives)!

- Ammon, ID, USA

May 172013

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering locked up while driving.

- Westminster, CO, USA