2005 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 132014

Malibu 6-cyl

While traveling home I was pulled over by a state trooper. I was told I was not using my signal lights and my brake lights were not working. For the past few weeks my ABS light has been coming on but I just had brakes put on my car. When I drive in the rain my brake petal goes almost to the floor before I can stop and my car makes strange scrubbing noises from time to time. As advised I had my lights checked by a professional and it was found my lights seemed to be burned/melted at the bottom where the bulbs connect to the base. I have replaced them several times and do not understand why they have to be replaced so often. Due to these issues I am afraid to drive in the rain and constantly check my brake and signal lights.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 172014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift from park and the key seized in the ignition. The dealer was contacted who informed him that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 98,117.

- Durand, MI, USA

Jun 122014

Malibu 6-cyl

I brought my vehicle to my local auto mechanic complaining of a steering/// front brake engaging prematurely issue. My mechanic looked at my front brake system and established that there was nothing wrong with the actually units that make up the front braking system. He then instructed me to take my vehicle to the Chevrolet dealership and have them look at the vehicle's computer to see if they can diagnose a possible sensor issue. I followed his advice. While driving at aprox 40 -45 mph, the steering wheel began to "shimmy" uncontrollably. At this same time, the front brakes began to engage independent of the brake peddles being depressed. I pulled the vehicle off the road and parked on a side street. As the vehicle sat stationary, I notices smoke eminating from both front wheelwells. Moments later, the tire valve in my front left tire blew, causing the tire to deflate. I then had the vehicle towed to the dealership. I told them what had happened. I also informed them that I had already taken the vehicle to my local mechanic, describing the reason why; this was 06/12/14. On 06/13/14, the dealership informed me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the front braking system. I then reminded them that I had already told them that my mechanic had already established that fact, and that it was his recommendation that I bring my car to the dealership service center for a more detailed diagnosis. As it stands right now, the dealership still does not know why the issues I highlighted are happening. Please note - 05/21/14 I had brought my vehicle in for the ignition switch recall. This problem began to manifest itself soon after that recall was completed.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Sep 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

The brakes lights on my vehicle come on without pressure applied to the brakes resulting in the cruise control to kick off. The brake lights will go off once the brakes are pressed. This presents an unsafe situation as it is never known when it will happen. This resulted in my vehicle being rear ended while at a stop sign coming off the off ramp from the highway. I have had to have this issue fixed several times and it keeps reoccurring. The power steering goes completely out on the vehicle while driving at random times. I have had to have this fixed at least two times. I know that there have been recalls on both issues for my make, model and year however I keep getting told that my vehicle is not on the list.

- Alma, MI, USA

Mar 062014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights remained illuminated when the contact was not depressing the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the BCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 119,000.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Dec 252013

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicles brake lights stick on while driving. Sometimes they flash when going aprox 65 and up. It appears the brake lights also flash when car is changing gears. The car once would not shift into drive while reversing and lost all power steering. Also the brakes or something at front of car shakes rapidly when accelerating and even worse when going down hills.

- Oakdale, PA, USA

Jul 162013

Malibu 6-cyl

Intermittent brake lights; go on when not braking; also cruise control intermittent I understand that this is a common problem with this make/model. Suggest recall as this problem has made the press.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

May 082009

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights come on while driving the car. Some times the lights will come on and after a while go off, or they will flicker on and off. This is most noticeable while driving at night. Neither foot is on the brake pedal. Also the cruise control will not work while brake lights are on. During this condition, when I do apply pressure on the brake pedal, the brake lights go off so a driver behind me doesn't know I am stopping. I have had the dealership, GM, look at this problem 3 times starting at the 35572 miles. They replaced the brake light switch all 3 times which cured the problem for a short period of time, but then the said problem reappears. Last time they "fixed" the problem was at mileage 110,536 on March 9, 2012. I am currently not driving the car often because of this problem has returned.. one good thing though - with the light going on and off, it does keep tailgaters back as they have on idea what I am upto. A silver lining in a dark cloud. I purchased the car used with 7660 miles on it.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 102013

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights do not light up when brake pedal is pressed. This is inconsistent. Also, the cruise control works intermittently - this problem has been occurring for at least the past six months.

- Brandon, MS, USA