2005 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 062015

Malibu

My traction control engages everytime I put the vehicle in drive and it disengages when the vehicle is put in reverse. I had the recall done on my vehicle and I thought that would coprrect the problem but it hasn't and the dealer would not correct the problem they said it was not part of the recall what am I to do?

- Fort Polk, LA, USA

Sep 022008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, after starting the vehicle the contact was unable to shift into gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission shift cable failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The contact also indicated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel cap needed to be replaced. The fuel cap was replaced but the check engine warning light continued to illuminate. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Aug 142015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the shift lever failed to shift out of gear. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal had to be depressed in order to shift out of gear but now it's failing to do so. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. Also, the contact stated that the vehicle was repair under the NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Benton, AR, USA

Jun 222015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the anti-theft warning lamp flashed up to three times and that the key would not turn over to start the vehicle. The contact indicated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the anti-theft module, ignition switch, BCM, and additional components needed to be replaced due to the failure. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train), but the contact had not received notification of the safety recall to schedule the repair. The vehicle was not repaired and the contact was not able to get the key to turn over to start the vehicle. The anti-theft warning lamp continued to flash three times or more and the vehicle was unable to be driven. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 185,445.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jun 212014

Malibu

I was on my way to school. When I took my exit (23 on route 2), the car simply turned off, locking my steering wheel. I lost control, spung twice and landed on the ramp of that exit. The car has been useless since then. I called the recall hotline to get support and they did nothing for me. I'm left with no car and no support by the GM team that forward me endless recall letters. I've had endless issues with this car since I financed it. Endless repairs, close accidents encounter because of car sensor issues. Brakes no properly working. Traction failing. It has been a nightmare. How can I get support for a vehicle which I loved so dearly and yet nearly cost me my life?

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Sep 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the key was difficult to turn over to start the vehicle and that the vehicle stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer six months ago and was repaired according to NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14V224000 (power train), but the contact indicated that the dealer stated that the repairs were not sufficient. The contact was waiting for the repair for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V224000 (electrical system) and was unable to determine when the recall would be performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the shift lever shifted out of drive independently and the vehicle decelerated. The contact mentioned that vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train); however, the repair failed to correct the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Pascagoula, MS, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet mailbu. The consumer was dissatisfied with the services of the recall. Updated 02/12/15 the consumer received two recall notices. Recall# 14V252000 and 14V224000.

- Tunica, MS, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to transmission recall notice. The consumer was informed the part was not available.

- Little Canada, MN, USA

Jan 282015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While the vehicle was parked in a residential driveway, the lever shifted out of the park position independently. As a result, the vehicle rolled away and crashed into the neighbor's fence and a cement pillar. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer verified that the VIN was affected by NHTSA campaign number: 14V092000 (power train). The technician denied that the potential recall failure was the cause of the crash. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Jan 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I had to buy a transmission for my Malibu and now I am receiving recalls (multiple) # 14152 & #13036 for the same car. However, on the freeway coming home from temecula, ca, South bound on the 15 highway, my transmission was not engaging. No loud sounds, or excess acceleration, nor too much weight (driver and passenger only cargo.) the engine was on and as I accelerated the engine was going but nothing was propelling us forward. I had to buy a new transmission and pay for labor which came out to a hefty expense. With everything I have read online and forums for these recalls I feel like a reimbursement should be in order if the manufacture even had a slight hesitation of a possible defect.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jun 032014

Malibu

After daughter stopped at red traffic light car would not go forward. Only gear was reverse. Drove backwards to safe location. Car would not go into any other gear. I am on disability so I did assume my transmission went out. So I did replace. My ex-husband doing all work in my driveway, as I can't afford mechanic. Long and short of it still wouldn't go into park. Discover it was the shift cable. Order shift cable directly from dealership. Replaced and everything works fine. Nothing was even mentioned when I would call dealership to ask question about getting the right transmission for my car, because I guess there was three different ones. Nothing was even mentioned when I order my cable through the dealership that there was a recall. Problem is GM doesn't want to reimburse because I didn't have the work done by a licensed mechanic. I had talk to a senior advisor and this is the information she had given to me. I feel this is not fair just because of my financial situation. I received my recall letter in July 2014 about recall and another letter January 16, 2015 letting me know that work could be done. I am hoping you can help me with this issue or I can try legal aid. Thank you.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Aug 152014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle did not exhibit any failures before the recall repairs were performed for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14V224000 (power train). The vehicle was also included in a third safety recall, but was unable to confirm if the manufacturer performed the recall repair for NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that after the repairs, the key was difficult to remove from the ignition, various warning lamps illuminated, and the gear lights did not illuminate for the gear box when the driver changed gears. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer and the contact waited for longer than two weeks for the vehicle to be further inspected and diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Stamford , CT, USA

Dec 222014

Malibu 6-cyl

NHTSA recall # 14V224 (manufacturer recall # N140152) car has been on recall since May 16, 2014. Brought car to paul conti cheverolet, freeport on 12/22/2014 to be serviced and was told again "part not available."

- North Bellmore, NY, USA

Dec 102013

Malibu

After the vehicle has warmed up after driving 10 miles, the gears do not shift appropriately. The transmission stays in 2nd or 3rd gear causing loss of acceleration from a stopped position (such as a red light) mechanic ruled out any problems with the transmission by itself. GM dealer told me about this recall.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 082013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new transmission. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 116,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Eflin , NC, USA

Nov 212014

Malibu 6-cyl

On 11/21, I took my 2005 Malibu to the GM dealership for a recall on the "steering" to replace the torque sensor assembly. NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000. When I left the dealership and driving for awhile, I noticed my car would partially stall at traffic lights or stop signs. I called the dealership when I got home and they told me to bring it back the next day, but I had to work. Today, 11/26 I took my car to the GM dealership because the car continues to partially stall at traffic lights or stop signs. I informed one of the reps what was happening and that I had no signs of this issue before the recall replacement. I was told they never went under the hood of my car during the recall replacement. It was all done at the steering column; that this issue is something that just happens without any warning at all. He informed me that other folks have come in with the same issue...not sure if this was after they also had the recall done. I tried telling the service dept., I had no other issues before bringing my car to them for the recall, but instead was told this was not their fault and I would have to pay for whatever is wrong with the car. I didn't let them touch it again. I will take it to my mechanic, who I never had an issue with after working on my car. I noticed there was a recall in 2011 for component(s): Fuel system, gasoline; NHTSA campaign number: 11E009000 and never received this recall. I bought this car from car max in 2011. Just speculating if this may be my problem. I also never received the recall for NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 component(s): Power train. More work to do to find the answers.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts needed to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Freeport, ME, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle experienced several failures after the repair. The steering wheel locked, the windows did not open or close, and the vehicle jerked while driving and when changing gears into drive or reverse. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,600.

- Washingotn , DC, USA

Nov 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact stated that the parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle under the recalls. The dealer was unable to inform when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA