2005 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Apr 012014

Malibu

The drivers side turn signal bulb keeps burning out. I have replaced the bulb twice but it continues to burn out. There are many other complaints about this issue.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Apr 192012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle would fail to start after numerous attempts. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the ignition switch failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 252013

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicles brake lights stick on while driving. Sometimes they flash when going aprox 65 and up. It appears the brake lights also flash when car is changing gears. The car once would not shift into drive while reversing and lost all power steering. Also the brakes or something at front of car shakes rapidly when accelerating and even worse when going down hills.

- Oakdale, PA, USA

Apr 272014

Malibu

I started my car and my empty light started blinking and dinging saying that my car had no fuel despite that I had put in $30 the day before, but when I looked at my miles to empty option on my radio it said 331 miles to empty. I decided once I got to work I'd try restarting it to see if that worked, well while I was driving down the street I realized none of my gauges were working I was going at least 35-40 and my car was reading 0 rpms and 0 mph which made me panic thinking well if my car is reading that im not driving and that I have no gas what if it just shuts off on me? so I pulled over afraid that it could cause my car to shut off it took five times of me starting the car and turning it back off for it to work. The only gauge that was doing anything during this time was the hot cold sensor for my coolant which would go the middle and then immediately fall back to cold. This is the first time this has happened and it makes me feel extremely upset and afraid to drive my own car! since it has stopped doing this I don't know what taking it into a shop will do since they can't diagnose a problem if it isn't occurring at the time.

- Henderson, KY, USA

Apr 022014

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu it has all of the symptoms as the recall for the ignition switch, the power steering goes out when it wants to, it shuts off sometimes when you come to a stop and the air bag light is on, it has not occurred since we put the key on a ring by itself, but they won"T honor it says it's not on the list but the 2005 Malibu maxx is on the list! the maxx is the same car but with a hatchback instead of a trunk, can U please look into this and tell me what if anything can I do?

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2005 Chevy Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to being stranded several times and having vehicle towed. Consumer found many complaints on line for same problem.

- Newtown, CT, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

I have to turn my steering wheel back and forth and my shifting gear in order to start the car then when going down the highway computer goes off steering becomes harder. A light comes on showing a car and a lock. A message comes on the computer "steering". it does randomly. Is there a recall on this?

- Fort Scott, KS, USA

Apr 182014

Malibu

I went to school to drop off kids I went to start the car an all the lights in the dash board goes on but wont crank.

- Coamo, PR, USA

Mar 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to ignition lock cylinder recall. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled, as she was arriving at a busy intersection. The vehicle had to be towed, because the she was unable to re-start the vehicle. According to the invoice, the ignition cylinder was replaced.

- Holland Patent, NY, USA

Mar 302014

Malibu 6-cyl

Door locks go up and down continuously while driving the car. When the car is parked and not locked (inside a secure garage), the factory alarm goes off when opening the doors. The electric lock switch on the driver door will not always unlock the other car doors. The key-in-ignition chime has started chiming even when the keys are not in the ignition. This all started Sunday, March 30th, 2014. It has continued daily from then until now (Wednesday April 2nd) and is still happening.

- Walnutport, PA, USA

Jun 062013

Malibu

Like the current GM cobalt problems, car stalled while traveling on interstate. Luckily we were able to pull to side of the road and get towed. It was in the garage for a week and they could not find problem even with driving it 50 miles a day. Local dealer said they had not had problems, but I could bring it in. Lots of complaints on internet about this, but no service bulletins or recalls. Car has 35K miles on it, but my wife will no longer drive it.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Jan 222013

Malibu 4-cyl

I consider us lucky. We were in a wal-mart parking lot 25 miles from home, and the car wouldn't start. I played with the ignition off and on for half an hour, and a connection was made, and the car started. I was careful to keep it running, and made it home. The next day, the same problem. The electrical connection to the fuel pump was missing. I had it towed to my repair shop, and they replaced the ignition switch. Cost $620.54. On 2/7/2013 the fuel pump was replaced. I feel that the incidents are connected. I think the loss of electrical feed to the fuel pump harmed the pump, and caused it to fail. Cost of fuel pump replacement was $635.11.this adds up to $1255.65 repair bills which should have been unnecessary. I feel there are more cars out there that GM should be made to recall and repair with better parts. I was lucky! others were not, and we don't need more unnecessary deaths on our highways.

- Sayre, PA, USA

Feb 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact indicated that the engine and all of the electronics in the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer and the contact was informed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 40,600. Updated 4/4/14

- Covington, KY, USA

Dec 122011

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering quit working. Here in 2013, with 175000 miles, GM will not honor their "service policy", due to miles! it only covered up to 150000 miles! absurd!

- Monaca, PA, USA

Jan 112011

Malibu 4-cyl

The fuel gauge suddenly started to jump up and down and vehicle engine gets off and on.

- Hunt Valley, MD, USA

Mar 122013

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle down I-680 in northern ca's bay area. While I was on the freeway in the slow lane and my power steering warning popped up on my car stereo display and a split second later I lost the ability to steer my car. I slowed the vehicle as fast as I could without slamming on the brakes. All of the cars behind me slammed on the brakes and I thought I was going to cause a pile-up. A nice man behind got out of his truck and helped me force the steering wheel to the right so I could pull the car off of the road. I then called my brother and he came and towed the car home. There has never been a warning to this issue. It never acted up and I have never been instructed to do a safety check on the power steering.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jan 042013

Malibu 4-cyl

The vehicle would not start after work in the parking lot. Arranged a ride home and did some research. Went back to the vehicle and got it started with suggestions on how to reset the passlock system (security light on dash was on). The next day the vehicle won't start even after going through the reset procedure several times. This problem can leave one stranded anyplace at anytime. We live in mininesota and that can be a real problem at -20 deg. After reading about many people with the same issue, I was motivated to share this in hopes of initiating a recall for this problem.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

Aug 292008

Malibu 4-cyl

We bought this car 4 yrs ago in Aug 2008 at only a few yrs old we were very optimistic that the $ we were spending on it would be worth the less upkeep than that of the 1994 crown vic that we traded in (& my husbands 78 olds that has always required more work than it put out since he purchased it when we met back in 06). Since it was a few yrs old we thought that even though there was no warranty on our new "used" car, we would be ok. We were wrong. The first problem we noticed was the alignment which makes the car shake/vibrate at speeds 60+ & our first vacation we took it on which we only drove 4-5 hrs there & we ended up with 2 flat tires on the way. Then the headlights & blinkers had to be replaced (full units) bc both of them kept giving out & the bulbs weren't the problems & I kept getting traffic tickets bc I wasn't always aware when one would go out. Our 2 biggest problems to date have been our fuel sensor/electrical problems which quit working after 1 yr & I have run out of gas 10 times bc it isn't easy to keep up with miles/dates & I have kids so filling up every day isn't easy either as well as the locks/buttons on the drivers door that do not work & I have to open my trunk with a key & had to pay $ to get auto lock so that I don't have to manually lock the doors w/ the keys & the transmission/motor we had to pay $2750 to replace bc the last one completely gave out resulting in the car not being able to run whatsoever & my husband having to literally push my neutral car with his bc we didn't have the $ at the time to fix it.. besides these problems there are the seats (plastic panels) falling/cracking apart, we had to replace the windshield bc anytime it rained our seats would be completely soaked.. & many other problems I still deal with. Keep in mind for the 4 yrs I have owned this car I haven't wrecked it & my husband keeps it up (changes oil, brakes, etc).

- Waco, TX, USA

May 112012

Malibu 6-cyl

I was at a stop sign went to press gas pedal to turn onto road and the car just shut off no warning lights came on nor did it show any codes. Got out of car popped trunk pulled relay fuse out put it back in and it cranked up, then on my way home from work, going about 25 mph and it just shut down again, I repeated pulling out relay fuse and put it back in then waited a minute then it cranked and I drove straight home.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Oct 102011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed, fuel would not pump properly into the vehicle, the fuel gauge displayed improper readings, and the speedometer was inoperative. The local mechanic repaired the fuel system. Neither the dealer, nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000 and the current mileage was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA