2005 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Nov 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle has failed to start after driving and then parking. First time had vehicle towed to S repair shop. They replaced fuel pump and installed a new fuel filter. Vehicle still did not start. I researched the problem on the web. I found several complaints. I found that the problem was the vehicle anti- theft device. It malfunctions and shuts the fuel injectors down. I found a fix on the web, you have to turn the key on for 10 to 15 minutes until the vehicle theft light quits blinking turn key to the off position remove the key wait 1 to 2 minutes and then start vehicle it works. This is a temporary fix it will happen again. It has happened to me two more times. I called the local Chevrolet dealership and inquired to see if they had heard or have seen this problem I was told that the problem has been around since 2002 and there has not been a re-call for the problem. I called Chevrolet and informed them of the problem. Their response was that they were not aware of the problem. According to the dealership GM has been aware of the problem for years. And they have not done a thing to correct the problem. According it will cost $500 to replace the defective parts. This in my opinion is totally unacceptable. This is a potential safety hazard putting people in danger.

- Barling, AR, USA

Dec 202010

I purchased this 2005 Chevy Malibu used. Shortly after had the right turn signal bulb blow, then left turn and both headlights at the same time. While replacing the bulbs, I noticed that the plastic surrounding the turn signal bulb had a large hole in it from melting. The other assembly had the same hole burnt in the turn signal light bulb cover. I have replaced the bulbs at least 2 more times this year. The problems with bulbs failing seems to happen in wet weather more frequently than dry weather. So I believe water is getting into the headlamps through these holes. The extreme heat is causing the headlight to become extremely cloudy. Replacing the headlight assembly does not fix the problem because others have said it soon starts to melt again. Please NHTSA these lighting systems that are failing are vital for nighttime driving, please get Chevy to do the right thing and fix this dangerous issue.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Oct 052010

Malibu 6-cyl

I had my first problem when I purchased the car. It would jerk & felt it was moving on it's own. Then the lamps would go out and I was replacing the bulbs every month. Then my key starter has failed two times after replacing them. The driver seat has calapsed on the left hand side. The rear seat handle to raise the seats up and down has broken on both passenger side. My lights have burned out on the front driver's side you can see the residue on the cover. The chairs was not scotch guard protected as stated they are very stained even when I tried to was them. In ready some of the others it appear as though mu care had all the defects of my counter parts.

- Roxbury, MA, USA

Sep 012008

Malibu 6-cyl

Front left turn signal repeatedly burns out, amber casing has melted hole, changing bulbs does not fix problem.

- Needville, TX, USA

Jul 272011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the bulb for the driver side turn signal burned out. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where failure diagnostic testing indicated possible bad wiring in the driver side turn signal and there was hole burned into the bulb. The manufacturer was contacted and the contact was advised to bring vehicle to a local dealer so they could perform a failure diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 85,000.

- Bedford, VA, USA

Jun 072011

Malibu 4-cyl

I own a 2005 Malibu with 160,000 miles on it. On June 16, 2011 I took my car to the dealer's service center because a week prior my car doors unlocked and my engine shut down as I was driving down the street. This happened twice about four days apart. They replaced the oxygen sensor. Aweek later it started doing the same thing but about every two to four days. I took it back on July 16, 2011 and they could not find anything wrong and told me to bring it back when I could leave the car there. Now this has become a daily occurrence, even happening two to ten times a day doing it 6 times within driving less that a mile at times. Luckily it starts right back up and that I still have control of the steering and brakes.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

May 142011

My 21 yr old son was driving his car on a city street when he started to smell a bad odor, possibly melting plastic. Within 15 seconds, flames shot up the front seat center console on the passenger side. He quickly pulled over and tried to put out the flames. Burning his hand in the process and realizing very quickly this wouldn't work, he quickly and urgently left the vehicle and called 911. Within 30 seconds of leaving the vehicle, the flames spread and completely consumed the vehicle. This vehicle was in excellent condition, nothing changed/tailored from the factory (ie. Stock parts including the radio), and no recent maintenance. If there had been a small child in a car seat, etc., this situation could have resulted in serious injury, even a death.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Nov 062010

• miles 2005 mailbu has been failing to start when I turn over the engine. My remote car starter went out. 2.I bought it in Nov,2010 until now Feb, 2011 it has had about 5 failures to start. 3.I bought a new battery and so far it has worked but my remote control start does not work still or any of the remote control features.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Aug 182010

Power steering failure.

- Mcleansville, NC, USA

Jul 232010

Malibu 6-cyl

Purchased 2005 Chevrolet Malibu in may, 2009. Ongoing problems with brake and turn signal lights not working. Attempted replacement and repair by mechanic. Lights remained inoperable as did fuel gauge by 80,000 miles. While parked, car ignited from under center console, door locks engaged, and interior burned. Total loss of auto and contents.

- Narrows, VA, USA

Nov 012009

Malibu 6-cyl

My friend, Mrs. X., a widow and mother of two children attending college, has been plagued by a recurring problem with repairs performed by johnny londoff Chevrolet. Her car, a 2005 Chevy Malibu with 68,000 miles, has been in for repairs four times... londoff has extracted over $1400 from this widow woman, continuing to replace part after part which has done nothing to alleviate the complaint. They do not know what the problem is !!!! the internet reveals thousands of identical complaints! essentially, Ms. X's Chevy stops running, or slows to 15 mph while in the fast lane of the interstate highway where the speed limit is 60 mph with no warning! the last time the car was taken into londoff, the service manager, Mr. B w. advised that after taking $1400 from my friend for "repairs" that did not effect a repair, that londoff was going to replace the "powertrain control module" under factory warranty, to complete the repairs which the previous repairs did not fix. To make the story short, londoff replaced the PCM and throttle body / pedal for Mrs. X, and now 30 days later, the car once again stalls in the fast lane - in the rain, as huge tractor trailers came barreling down on her at high speed at night. I fear for both my friends life and her safety in this ' 05 Malibu. We took the car in again today for the 4th repair opportunity for londoff, and "Mr. W" refused to guarantee to make good on the 12 month, 12000 repair warranty, and refused to provide either a loaner or a rental at GM's cost so Mrs. X could make it to work next week. Essentially, these men continue to "jack up" this poor widow woman, taking more and more of her meager sustenance without effecting repairs!!!! Mrs. X's life, her job, her home, her credit, her children's college education is threatened by GM / londoff's failure to properly repair this vehicle. In addition, time after time this car has broken down in the fast lane in heavy traffic during a thunderstorm. Obvious recall !!! updated IVOQ 12/01/10

- Florissant, MO, USA

May 192010

The power steering light comes on and sometimes the steering wheel won't turn at all. There is a knocking noise in the steering wheel when I turn. It was fixed only to start again a few weeks later. GM won't repair cause they say I'm over the mileage. The gas hand jumps up an down.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

May 052010

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu, bought brand new, I've had problems from the start with this car. The rack & pinion has been replaced twice. The hub bearings have had to be replaced, the rear stabilizer bar needs replacing. I have a gas cap issue, now to top it all off, I've been having issues where I am driving and I start to accelerate and the steering wheel locks up, I have been on the freeway several times when this happens. This is a very dangerous situation, GM will do nothing about this. They know that the 2005 Malibu is a dangerous car but will not recall at all.

- Maple Heights, OH, USA

Apr 132010

I have read alot of reviews on customers that are having problems with there Chevy Malibu's from 2004-2008. The main complaint is the steering column locking up with out warning. I experienced that myself and luckily I was driving at a low speed. My steering wheel vibrates after the car has stopped and threatens to lock up again. There should be a recall on cars from those years.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Jan 012010

2005 Chevy Malibu. Have told the dealership many times about the "bumping/thumbing" while the car is turning. And found out that there is no place for powering steering fluid...thank god for purchasing extended warranties!!!!!!!!!!!

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Oct 122009

I have a 2005 Malibu, and have had a clunking noise in the steering since approx. 40,000miles. I have taken it to the garage several times and they have told me that Chevrolet did not make a place to lubricate the joints inside the column so that they dry out quickly, and are banging together and it is nothing to worry abouti do not agree, anything constantly clanging against another object is eventually going to wear out. I also just had my fuel tank, fuel sensor replaced, at the cost of 600. It started giving false readings and then got increasingly worse until it did not work anymore. My exterior lighting is also messed up. I have to replace bulbs frequently and it looks like the base of the bulb is melted when they take them out. I had contacted my local dealer on these issues and they stated no recalls.

- Beacon, NY, USA

Feb 052009

The contact owns as 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph; proceeding to make a right turn, the right turn signal switch began blinking at a rapid pace. An authorized technician stated that the failure was due to the turn signal bulb socket overheating which caused the plastic to melt. The vehicle was repaired; however, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on four separate occasions for the identical failure. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 118,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Lake Odessa, MI, USA

Jun 192009

I stopped to air up a tire and wash my car. I noticed smoke in the back portion of my car. I looked in the trunk but couldn't tell the origin of the smoke. Smoke continued to fill my car from the back and I opened the trunk again. I placed my hand on the left fender and immediately noticed how hot it was. Another costumer came over and jerked the trunk liner back to reveal that the fuse panel was on fire.

- Lawrenceburg, TN, USA

May 302008

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power windows, locks, linkages, and ignition switch sporadically become inoperative. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the ignition switch at the cost of $495. The manufacturer stated that they would not assume responsibility for any repairs because the vehicle exceeded its mileage. All remedies as of March 31, 2009 have been insufficient in correcting the failures. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 51,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 302005

I first purchased the vehicle in March 2005. After a month I started having difficulties with starting it. I would turn the key in the ignition and nothing would happen there would be no power, I would turn the key again and there would be power but the info station would reset. I have a friend who drove it sometimes and the same thing would occur for him. We took it back to the dealership it was purchased from three different times, they couldn't locate the problem but would reset the computers to factory, one time they installed an update. It would stop for a few months and then start back up. A year after purchase I found a different dealership(2006), they said it was the headlight and replaced it, they also updated and reset the computer. It stopped for several months and then restarted. Then one day the cd player wouldn't quit working, it showed I needed to eject cd but there was no cd to eject, it would whir constantly. Then one morning last fall(2007) there was absolutely no power, we got it jump started and took it to the dealership, they discovered something with an ignition connection being plastic instead of metal. They replaced the entire steering column under a goodwill warranty. Now my vehicle is doing the same thing, you turn the key and there is no power, the second time there is power, but the info station is reset. We took it to the dealership and we are over the 12000 warranty miles on the new part, so there is no goodwill warranty on this one and it will cost around $600 and that it probably isn't the same part anyway. This is the same problem I have had from day one of owning this vehicle. I have had it in and out of dealerships who couldn't truly discover the problem. I don't think that I should have to pay to fix something that I have been trying to get fixed from day one. I would think that if it was something different there would be different problems than always losing power.

- Marion, IA, USA