2005 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Mar 302005

Malibu

I first purchased the vehicle in March 2005. After a month I started having difficulties with starting it. I would turn the key in the ignition and nothing would happen there would be no power, I would turn the key again and there would be power but the info station would reset. I have a friend who drove it sometimes and the same thing would occur for him. We took it back to the dealership it was purchased from three different times, they couldn't locate the problem but would reset the computers to factory, one time they installed an update. It would stop for a few months and then start back up. A year after purchase I found a different dealership(2006), they said it was the headlight and replaced it, they also updated and reset the computer. It stopped for several months and then restarted. Then one day the cd player wouldn't quit working, it showed I needed to eject cd but there was no cd to eject, it would whir constantly. Then one morning last fall(2007) there was absolutely no power, we got it jump started and took it to the dealership, they discovered something with an ignition connection being plastic instead of metal. They replaced the entire steering column under a goodwill warranty. Now my vehicle is doing the same thing, you turn the key and there is no power, the second time there is power, but the info station is reset. We took it to the dealership and we are over the 12000 warranty miles on the new part, so there is no goodwill warranty on this one and it will cost around $600 and that it probably isn't the same part anyway. This is the same problem I have had from day one of owning this vehicle. I have had it in and out of dealerships who couldn't truly discover the problem. I don't think that I should have to pay to fix something that I have been trying to get fixed from day one. I would think that if it was something different there would be different problems than always losing power.

- Marion, IA, USA

Sep 102008

Malibu

The anti-theft system in my 2005 Chevy Malibu ls keeps coming on while I'm driving. When that happens everything on the dash stops working. Mph, fuel engine light comes on. When anti-theft light comes on the car will not start. So that leaves me and my daughters stuck. Now when I stop and park the car for any length of time the anti-theft system activates. I am so scared to drive this car because I never know if it's going to start. Me and my daughters have been stranded in dark parking lots for up to 6 hours. Also the break light are a mess. When I'm driving the are on and when I push on the break the go off. Someone please help us with this horrible car. I will never buy another american made car again.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 082005

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Since purchasing the vehicle, the anti theft device has failed repeatedly, the engine makes a ticking sound, the steering wheel is slipping or loose, and oil leaks from the engine. While driving 45 mph, the dashboard. Vibrates. The contact hears a noise in the radio when the vehicle is turned on, the engine service light is illuminated on the instrument panel, the interior lights failed, the remote start would not start the vehicle, and the engine shakes roughly. The current mileage was 12,030 and failure mileage was 100. Updated 09/24/08. The consumer stated there was a problem with the entire suspension. The shocks and bearings made a noisy. The hazard lights failed. Updated 09/30/08.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Oct 022007

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 65 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact had to use both hands to steer the vehicle with excessive force. The vehicle was shut off for approximately sixteen hours to reset the steering. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they performed a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that there was a short in the electrical system. The current and failure mileages were 51,000.

- Delta, LA, USA

Jun 172007

Malibu 4-cyl

I owned the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu for almost 2 years. During that time I had to replace the rear turn signal once, and the front turn signals about 3 times each. Somethingwas definitely wrong with the electrical part of this vehicle. The warranty has now expired, so I can get nothing done about it from GM or Chevrolet. A second complaint concerns the fan for the airconditioner/heater. It rattles constantly. Before the warranty expired I took it in twice to the dealership and had repairs done on the vehicle. Once the motor was replaced... was told their was something lodged in the fan. A week later the same noise. Nothing has been resolved.

- Etowah, TN, USA

Aug 182005

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2005 Chevrolet Malibu, sometimes when trying to start the vehicle, it fails to start until attempting 2 to 3 times before vehicle engine starts, this is a continual problem. Turn signal today did not work, until after I had to shut engine off and restart it before turn signals would work. Vehicle has a tendency to pull to the left. Starter doesn't engage properly.

- Isanti, MN, USA