2005 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Dalton, OH, USA

Nov 292012

Malibu 4-cyl

The ignition switch to start the car is defective. The cylinder does not turn with the key at the first try nor the second try.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Apr 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

My 17 year old son was practicing driving on a main road when the car starting going less the 10mph while we were do a little over 45mph. We put on our hazard lights and sat on the road for about 10 minutes I then got behind the drivers seat and drove to the nearest gas station which was less than a mile away and called aaa. Not sure if I will have my now 18 year drive the car to back and forward to college because I'm in fear that if the car stops in the middle of the street someone may hit him or he may get out the car and get hit. Signed worried parent.

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Sep 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the engine stalled and the vehicle spun out of control. The contact crashed into a wall and the driver side air bag failed to deployed. The driver was knocked unconscious and medical attention was required. A police report was failed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and believed that the recall was related to the crash. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- North Las Vegas , NV, USA

Jul 132011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle restarted after forty five minutes. The failure occurred twelve times. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact stated that the ignition switch was replaced, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000.

- 5017 Nash Dr, TX, USA

Aug 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). While the vehicle was at a complete stop, it jerked violently. The contact had to exert force on the brake pedal to keep the vehicle at a stop. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The problem that I am having with my vehicle, is with the ignition switch. The key will not turn, I have to shake the key and push on the gas a couple of times before the key turns on the switch. I do not know if my vehicle will be covered under the recall list, but if it is and I pay to have my vehicle repaired, can I be reimburse for the repair cost?

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Sep 242007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration while on an incline. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but the repairs were unknown. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Terrell, TX, USA

Jun 202014

Malibu

In the middle lane of I-85 atlanta, 3:30 P.M.. we were in bumper to bumper traffic, stop and go, very slow traffic. Suddenly, my car shook and then cut off. After putting on hazard lights, I tried several times to start it back and it would start, shake and shut off. I finally got it started and turned off ac and traveled the rest of the way. Needless to say, it was very frightening and dangerous in the middle lane of rush hour traffic.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the fuel gauge indicated that the fuel tank was empty although the contact had refueled. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the vehicle veered to the left. Also, the contact stated that the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was turned off and restarted before it resumed normal operation. Approximately five minutes later the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. There was no diagnosis completed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 60,300.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 212014

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle disabled itself while driving. Pass-lock will not allow car to restart. On going problem.

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Apr 182014

Malibu

I went to school to drop off kids I went to start the car an all the lights in the dash board goes on but wont crank.

- Coamo, PR, USA

Jun 062013

Malibu

Like the current GM cobalt problems, car stalled while traveling on interstate. Luckily we were able to pull to side of the road and get towed. It was in the garage for a week and they could not find problem even with driving it 50 miles a day. Local dealer said they had not had problems, but I could bring it in. Lots of complaints on internet about this, but no service bulletins or recalls. Car has 35K miles on it, but my wife will no longer drive it.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Jul 142010

Malibu 4-cyl

The car in mention above has stalled for no apparent reason, when stalled steering becomes difficult this has happened several times over the past 5 years. When the dealer was called they said there was no recall, and if there was no trouble light on, it would be hard to detect cause unless it stalled while they had it in the shop. When it stalls everything just shut off. Upon pulling the car to the side of road with horns blaring putting it in park it then restarts like nothing ever happened until next time it decides to shut off. What I'm getting at is there a possibility that GM will expand there ignition switch recall to include the 2005 Malibu which in my opinion is experiencing the same symptoms of suddenly shutting off or stalling the car now has 100,000 mile runs good other then the stalling.

- Moosup, CT, USA

May 182010

Malibu 6-cyl

Started 2013, traction control remains on for a 10 mins of driving then turns off, and back on again once restart of car. When traction control light is on unable to turn off by pressing the button. Car drives like the rear breaks are engaged. This started in 2010 and still happens to the present day the car has times where it doesn't start up, it turns over but doesn't catch. I have had a fuel ejection service, and regular oil changes at a Chevrolet dealership. This started 2013, engine light is on and it won't go off. Car is at 115,000 miles. This started 2012, the changing of gears is very rough, hard changes. This started in 2010, my last change was 2012, my head light turn signal continue to blow out and burst. In 2011 my mirror visor on the driver sides has broken again after getting it replace with the recall.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Jul 112012

Malibu

It dies when I stop and it sometimes loses fuel power then all of a sudden boosts up to 4000 rpms like it got a rush of power. Sometimes it wont even start.

- Paintsville, KY, USA

Jan 042013

Malibu 4-cyl

The vehicle would not start after work in the parking lot. Arranged a ride home and did some research. Went back to the vehicle and got it started with suggestions on how to reset the passlock system (security light on dash was on). The next day the vehicle won't start even after going through the reset procedure several times. This problem can leave one stranded anyplace at anytime. We live in mininesota and that can be a real problem at -20 deg. After reading about many people with the same issue, I was motivated to share this in hopes of initiating a recall for this problem.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

May 112012

Malibu 6-cyl

I was at a stop sign went to press gas pedal to turn onto road and the car just shut off no warning lights came on nor did it show any codes. Got out of car popped trunk pulled relay fuse out put it back in and it cranked up, then on my way home from work, going about 25 mph and it just shut down again, I repeated pulling out relay fuse and put it back in then waited a minute then it cranked and I drove straight home.

- Newnan, GA, USA