2005 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 292016

Malibu

Had M Y car in for recall work now it shows reduced engine power or something like that and dies I replaced throttle body and no change still does it now it is throwing a code of P0826

- Salem, OR, USA

Jun 242016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Four days after purchasing the vehicle, the check engine light illuminated while driving at an unknown speed. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that there were "156 issues with the vehicle". the technician advised the contact to return the vehicle to the dealer. The contact stated that the dealer refused to take the vehicle back, stating that it was sold as is. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The contact reported the matter to the ftc, but was advised to file a complaint with NHTSA. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Charlestown, IN, USA

Jun 192016

Malibu

My 2005 Malibu is extremely hard to start. It also cuts off without warning. This is very dangerous, as well as frustrating. In cold weather, it will crank after only a few tries. In warm weather or after driving the car, it can take up to 30 minutes to crank. It spins but does not start without a major hassle. When the car finally starts, I have to hold down the gas pedal to prevent it from cutting off again. Frequently, it still cuts off when I put it into gear & I have to go through the starting process repeatedly. It is not reliable & has resulted in my being late to work, as well as leaving me stranded. A female being stranded is not safe. If it should happen to cut off in traffic, I will have no control of the vehicle which could result in an accident. I have tried the suggestions related to this common issue which is blamed on the theft deterrent system, but I continue to have the same problems. This is an every day occurrence, forcing me to start cranking my car 30-45 minutes before I have to leave for work & causing me to sit alone in parking lots trying to start my car so I can go home. The check engine light is on and I had it connected to a computer to be tested. The code number said "no part, no fix" & the mechanic who checked it said he had never seen that so had absolutely no idea what it meant. Reading online forums, I have found that this is a very common complaint from Malibu owners, yet nobody knows how to fix the problem. Chevrolet needs to recall and resolve this issue before someone dies due to it.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Jun 172016

Malibu

I have to replace my signal lights every 2 to 3 months and they look like they melted inside also I have problems with my fuel like my car is not getting fuel while driving. And I'm angry because I've had my car for about 9 years and no one has ever mailed a recall to my home for anything on my car and I may be putting my life in danger. I learned about these recalls from my insurance company.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Apr 082016

Malibu

I was driving home with my daughter on interstate route 80 when I noticed my car was emitting a thick black smoke trail. I immediately took the next exit and pulled into a parking lot. My daughter and I then jumped out of the smoke filled car. We then ran away as we watched the inferno take over and then the car suddenly exploded. Blowing back the hood and smashing the windshield.

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Mar 252016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. After the vehicle was filled with fuel, the contact had to make several attempts to start the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and failed to start the following day. The check engine warning indicator illuminated permanently and the fuel gauge fluctuated between empty and full. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but did not register any failure codes. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Tifton, GA, USA

Feb 062016

Malibu

I'm having an issue where's I'm scared I will be in a car accident. My engine light comes on then my tc light then my car say engine power reduce in the car will just shut off.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 022012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While parked, the vehicle was not able to start. The contact mentioned that it took two attempts to start the vehicle. In addition, after switching off the vehicle, the key would get stuck and the vehicle had to be restarted in order to remove the key. The failure recurred intermittently. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000. Updated 01/27/16 the ignition switch tumbler was replaced. Updated 02/09/16

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 022008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, after starting the vehicle the contact was unable to shift into gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission shift cable failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The contact also indicated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the fuel cap needed to be replaced. The fuel cap was replaced but the check engine warning light continued to illuminate. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jan 122013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to start the vehicle, it would not start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Campbellsville, KY, USA

Feb 102015

Malibu

I was driving as normal with no incident, parked went into home and came out 10 minutes later, car would not crank, as if battery was dead.. went back in to get a multi-meter and checked battery, showed 12.3 volts. Went back into car and it cranked right up, no hesitation. Next day went to get my grand-daughter (2 years old) and parked at her home. Loaded the baby-seat, and went to start car, dead battery symptom again. Jumped the car from my daughter and went tom walmart to have battery checked. Battery and charge system checked fine. Tried to start the car after test, acted like a dead battery again. Walmart tech said looks like a bad starter motor. I purchased a new starter and installed. Cranked on first hit. Checked charging amps while running, 13.4 volts. Went 25 miles to town. Parked and after 2 hours came back to car and would not crank. (turned motor once then click click. Click.) got a ride home and checked internet for probable cause, seems like hundreds (thousands) have the same situation. I feel the anti-theft system is cutting off power to car. I tried the fix that I found, lock, unlock, lock unlock car with key then wait 10 minutes and crank the car. It worked. I pulled away from my lodge and went down the road. Stopped, made a right turn heading for a traffic light and the car died in the middle of the road. Could not turn the steering wheel, no electrical signs other than anti theft light flashing on dash. Tried repetitively to start the car but again just click click. Click. If I had been on the thru-way, it would probably been an accident. Further search on internet shows this a major problem, but no recall is found. Why"?"

- Guyton, GA, USA

May 182015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 50 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the engine after multiple attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and diagnosed for electrical code failure. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Litle Rock, AR, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle would overheat and failed to turn off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was repaired; however, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control); however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 139,855.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

My wife and I have contacted Chevy dealer a long time ago about safety recalls on this vehicle a long time ago and have not received any info. On when these recalls can be done. Most of these recalls state that the parts have not been sent. What can your company do about getting these resolved.

- Camron, NC, USA

Mar 222015

Malibu 6-cyl

Filled 2005 Malibu with gas. Fuel read full. Pulled off from gas station fuel gauge went to empty. Fuel light and check engine light came on car turned off while at the light. I am not trying to die due to a corporation negligence!!!!

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 112015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag, check engine, and tire pressure warning lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Aug 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

Had been experiencing failure to start and stalling of vehicle while driving, on occasion. Took it in for service at a local, reputable shop in madison heights, mi. Was informed it needed a fuel pump. Job was completed. Upon picking up car about August 5, 2014, drove it away but returned to area of shop to ask mechanic a question. About 1/8 mile from shop and at about 35 mph, the engine completely shut off. All automatic systems--brakes, steering, dashboard lights, etc.--failed as well. Engine did not falter prior to this; it simply shut down. We were able to coast into the shop's parking lot, thankfully! shop had car for several days afterward due to a major flood in SE Michigan about that time. Upon their resuming work on it, they also experienced the engine failure during a test drive. We then took car to serra Chevrolet in southfield, mi, where we had purchased it some months earlier. We were informed it was the ignition switch--out of warranty and no recall existing--and the job was completed, at our expense. We followed up this repair with a request to General Motors for a refund of the $578.38 charge. GM refused, stating the car was out of warranty. We object to this! this appears to be the classic engine failure/ignition switch problem GM has experienced on hundreds of thousands of cars, in and out of warranty. We note that in their refusal, GM did not use the word "recall, " making us believe they are dodging that issue until such time, as we expect, the recall of their cars with the classic engine failure/ignition switch problem will extend back to 2005 models! any assistance or advice you can extend in this matter would be appreciated.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jan 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle decelerated and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed the canister vent solenoid needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,635.

- Millboro, DE, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the instrument panel lights failed to operate and the vehicle stalled. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a ditch. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained cuts and bruising which did not require medical. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 11/24/14 updated 10/1/2015

- Hayden , AL, USA

Sep 082010

Malibu 4-cyl

My vehicle stalled on railroad tracks I did have a heavy load on the key chain and when it would not move I kept hitting the gas pedal but it would not move when in the process of raising my leg up and down on the gas pedal I hit the ignition switch the engine failed I then put it in reverse and nothing I said to myself I have got to get out of this car the train is going to hit so I was able to unleash my seatbelt and open the door that is the time when the union pacific train hit right in front of my driver S front door I was thrown 30 feet from the vehicle and of course the car was totaled. I was airlifted to the hospital when they finally found me in a rice field. I almost died from this accident. I did not receive a letter from GM stating the problem with the vehicle that it would cut the engine off as I stated before. It took me 2 1/2 years to recuperate. And I still live with problems to my neck and shoulder. I had my spleen removed, contusions to my head, which to this day I stutter, I also had my spine twisted, I suffer with that also. Anyway I just found out about the recall from a total stranger, last week the next day I entered my VIN number on the GM website and it is a vehicle that is on the recall list.

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA