2.3

2005 Chevrolet Malibu fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 302016

Malibu

Fuel gage doesn't work causing a safety hazard in traffic

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Jun 172016

Malibu

I have to replace my signal lights every 2 to 3 months and they look like they melted inside also I have problems with my fuel like my car is not getting fuel while driving. And I'm angry because I've had my car for about 9 years and no one has ever mailed a recall to my home for anything on my car and I may be putting my life in danger. I learned about these recalls from my insurance company.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Mar 012016

Malibu

I currently have several mechanical issues with my 2005 Chevy Malibu as described in the NHTSA and manufacturer's recall numbers: NHTSA #09E012000; NHTSA #14V224000; NHTSA #11E009000; 10032206; 10019020; 10030685; and 10059101. The problems with the vehicle exist whether the car is stationary or in motion, however, they are most noticeable when driving.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 252016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. After the vehicle was filled with fuel, the contact had to make several attempts to start the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and failed to start the following day. The check engine warning indicator illuminated permanently and the fuel gauge fluctuated between empty and full. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but did not register any failure codes. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Tifton, GA, USA

Jan 122013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to start the vehicle, it would not start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Campbellsville, KY, USA

Apr 232015

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving on freeway and my vehicle stalled and shut down. I had no acceleration from gas pedal, so I had to signal over to the right shoulder of road and coast to a complete stop. Tried starting the vehicle a few times, it would start but would not rev up, even when gas pedal was pressed. Utah road incident management helped by putting one gallon of gasoline in tank since the tank was close to empty, but still would not start. Also, tried using carburetor spray to start the vehicle but, still did not work. Had to be towed to a service shop, where they performed tests to figure out what was wrong. After tests diagnosed that it was the fuel pump and filter. I looked up whether or not there was a recall on this model and year of vehicle. There was a recall for aftermarket fuel pumps, but I believe that recall has closed. I hope to have my vehicle fixed under the same recall.

- Kearns, UT, USA

Mar 222015

Malibu 6-cyl

Filled 2005 Malibu with gas. Fuel read full. Pulled off from gas station fuel gauge went to empty. Fuel light and check engine light came on car turned off while at the light. I am not trying to die due to a corporation negligence!!!!

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jan 302015

Malibu 6-cyl

The current issue I am having is every time I get gas, which is often because I drive 80 miles a day for work, my gauge will drop to empty and low fuel/ light comes on! next day low fuel light on still, goes off on my drive eventually, but the check engine light is now on! that goes away as well. I went to get the codes check at autozone and they are as follows: P0463.

- Springfield , IL, USA

Oct 092014

Malibu 6-cyl

My power steering keeps locking up on me and will not allow me to turn. It locks up while im driving on the highway and it locks up some time when I start the car up. Also my fuel pump failed. It does not read telling me how much fuel I have in my tank.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

For the past 4-5 months, every time we fill up with gas and then start the car, the fuel gauge jumps up to full, stays there for a few miles, then drops to empty and low fuel message comes on. The check engine lamp also comes on and stays on. After about 20-30 miles, the fuel gauge goes back to full and at the point, the check engine light goes off. This doesn't always happen. Sometimes the check engine light stays on until the next fill-up, then the same thing happens all over again.

- Dickson, TN, USA

Jul 092014

Malibu

Gas tank full, yet the gas gage says empty and the bell rinngs ofr low gas.

- Hood River, OR, USA

May 172011

Malibu 6-cyl

Every 18 months I get a error code of P0463 and P2119. Fuel system was replaced twice and now possibly a third time. Car wants to stop on its own after a few miles of driving. Secondary problem also includes low fuel level warning even when fuel is at a full tank.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 202014

Malibu

In the middle lane of I-85 atlanta, 3:30 P.M.. we were in bumper to bumper traffic, stop and go, very slow traffic. Suddenly, my car shook and then cut off. After putting on hazard lights, I tried several times to start it back and it would start, shake and shut off. I finally got it started and turned off ac and traveled the rest of the way. Needless to say, it was very frightening and dangerous in the middle lane of rush hour traffic.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the fuel gauge indicated that the fuel tank was empty although the contact had refueled. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the vehicle veered to the left. Also, the contact stated that the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was turned off and restarted before it resumed normal operation. Approximately five minutes later the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. There was no diagnosis completed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 60,300.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 062013

Malibu

Like the current GM cobalt problems, car stalled while traveling on interstate. Luckily we were able to pull to side of the road and get towed. It was in the garage for a week and they could not find problem even with driving it 50 miles a day. Local dealer said they had not had problems, but I could bring it in. Lots of complaints on internet about this, but no service bulletins or recalls. Car has 35K miles on it, but my wife will no longer drive it.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Dec 072012

Malibu 4-cyl

My car has a sensor code of po 463. My car will no start, unless jump started.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 112012

Malibu

It dies when I stop and it sometimes loses fuel power then all of a sudden boosts up to 4000 rpms like it got a rush of power. Sometimes it wont even start.

- Paintsville, KY, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, it would immediately stall without warning. The contact would have to wait several minutes before the vehicle was able to be started. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who advised her that the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 146,000. The current mileage was approximately 146,695.

- Terrell, TX, USA

Apr 232012

Malibu

When I filled up the tank, and would drive awhile, the fuel gauge would read low fuel. I was told it was the gas cap. However, I replaced that and it still happened. How it is to the point, where the fuel gauge either reads full or stays at low fuel. This also causes the engine light to stay on. My service tech has advised me that this is a ongoing problem with the model.

- Reading, PA, USA

Aug 292008

Malibu 4-cyl

We bought this car 4 yrs ago in Aug 2008 at only a few yrs old we were very optimistic that the $ we were spending on it would be worth the less upkeep than that of the 1994 crown vic that we traded in (& my husbands 78 olds that has always required more work than it put out since he purchased it when we met back in 06). Since it was a few yrs old we thought that even though there was no warranty on our new "used" car, we would be ok. We were wrong. The first problem we noticed was the alignment which makes the car shake/vibrate at speeds 60+ & our first vacation we took it on which we only drove 4-5 hrs there & we ended up with 2 flat tires on the way. Then the headlights & blinkers had to be replaced (full units) bc both of them kept giving out & the bulbs weren't the problems & I kept getting traffic tickets bc I wasn't always aware when one would go out. Our 2 biggest problems to date have been our fuel sensor/electrical problems which quit working after 1 yr & I have run out of gas 10 times bc it isn't easy to keep up with miles/dates & I have kids so filling up every day isn't easy either as well as the locks/buttons on the drivers door that do not work & I have to open my trunk with a key & had to pay $ to get auto lock so that I don't have to manually lock the doors w/ the keys & the transmission/motor we had to pay $2750 to replace bc the last one completely gave out resulting in the car not being able to run whatsoever & my husband having to literally push my neutral car with his bc we didn't have the $ at the time to fix it.. besides these problems there are the seats (plastic panels) falling/cracking apart, we had to replace the windshield bc anytime it rained our seats would be completely soaked.. & many other problems I still deal with. Keep in mind for the 4 yrs I have owned this car I haven't wrecked it & my husband keeps it up (changes oil, brakes, etc).

- Waco, TX, USA