2005 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Dec 012008

Malibu

Loss of function of headlights, brake lights, turn signals and tail lights on 2005 Chevy Malibu ls model. The light bulbs in the signal are constantly blowing out. I have the change the bulbs at least every month. I have no use of my tail lights and turn signals as a result of this. Failure of the bulb has not resulted in heat damage to the bulb socket.

- Markham , IL, USA

Aug 151995

Malibu

As of this date, Feb. 17, 2009, the part in question has not failed, causing any crashes or injuries. Shortly after I purchased the vehicle, I noticed a thumping whenever the steering wheel was turned sharply to the right or to the left. While under manufacturer's warranty, I had it checked out at least 3 times, and each time the dealership service department assured me there was no recall on the part, the boot of joint somehow connected to the steering. Since that time, I have had my personal mechanic check out the problem and he has diligently checked for a recall or a corrective measure from Chevrolet, but there has been none. The mechanic has greased this joint several times, and it helps the thumping, but eventually it returns over time. I have read where others have experienced their steering totally going out because of this issue. I am afraid for my family's safety due to this problem that Chevrolet has constantly refused to address. Component #2: I was constantly having to replace the front turn signals as the bulbs were constantly burning out. Component #3 the fan which controls the inside air flow has constantly rattled unless the fan is turned on the highest setting. The dealership even replaced that fan, telling me a broken part had fallen down into it. I returned the car to the dealership at least 3 times, but they finally said they could not find anything else. It still rattles horribly.

- Etowah, TN, USA

Apr 202005

Malibu

On our 2005 Chevy Malibu we have changed the front turn signal lamp numerous times since we purchased it new in 2005, the first time being only a month after we purchased the car. In Nov. 2006 at our expense we had to change the turn signal lamp sockets because the dealer said the reason for the lamps burning out was due to the sockets being corroded. After that we have still had to change the lamps as frequent. I would say in all we have replaced either the left or right lamp about 12 times since the purchase date of March 2005. Recently we have noticed that the lamp housing has actually melted above where the lamps are located. We currently have the local dealer looking into the problem again. Every time I see a Chevy Malibu from the year model of 2005 to 2007, most often one of the front park/signal lamps is burned out. I think this is a safety hazard due to not having a properly working turn signal could cause an accident. Also if the housing is melting, then it could result in the car catching on fire I believe.

- Elberton, GA, USA

Nov 302008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact previously experienced failure with the driver's side headlight bulb constantly burning out. Six months later, the plastic headlight covers burned. The steering shaft has been replaced three times. The dealer stated that the plastic cover failure was a factory defect; therefore, they were unable to correct the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000 and current mileage was 78,400. Updated 02-23-09 updated 02/24/09.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Dec 202008

Malibu

On a 2005 Chevy Malibu our brake lights, on the rear of the vehicle, often work in reverse. In other words, the brake lights are on when you aren't hitting the brakes, and they are off when you are hitting the brakes. This seems to pose a safety concern since vehicles behind you do not know when you are hitting the brakes. I am reporting this because I have seen on many forums that other people have the same problem so this should be a factory recall instead of something we have to pay for to get it fixed. Here are some links that prove this problem isn't isolated: www.fixya.com/cars/T822542-brake_lights_wont_go_off www.2carpros.com/forum/2005-Chevy-Malibu--brake-lights-will-not-go-off-VT181519.html www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Malibu/2004/lights/brake_lights_blink_on_by_themselves.shtml www.cardealercheck.com/forum/thread15599.html.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Oct 112008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact smelled something burning. He noticed a V-shaped burnt pattern in the front driver's side headlight. Approximately one month ago, the front passenger side headlight failed. The current mileage was 102,000 and failure mileage was 101,000.

- Joshua Tree, CA, USA

May 152005

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Within a series of months, both the front and rear turn signal bulbs have all needed to be replaced. The dealer found the vehicle to be operating normally. The failure has occurred ever since the vehicle was purchased. The current mileage was 27,000 and failure mileage was 6.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 282006

Malibu

Headlights and taillights keep burning out on my 2005 Chevy Malibu at the base of the bulb. This is an 05 and the dealers keep telling me it is the bulb I use - that I need to use an oem bulb, when I let them change it they used the same bulb and the base of the bulbs turn black and only last about a week or so.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Malibu

Noticed both front turn signals/daytime running lamps yellow covers were melted. It had discolored light lens due to apparent extreme heat.

- Bowling Green, MO, USA

Dec 152007

Malibu

The blinker will always fail to work. The bulbs are just fine and intact, but the blinker will stop working. There is some electrical problem with the headlights. This has caused other vehicles to get in close contact with me, and almost in crashes. I have heard many different cases of this problem with other 2005 Chevy Malibu's as well.

- Fargo, ND, USA

May 062008

Malibu 6-cyl

I just replaced the front driver's side flasher light in my 2005 Chevy Malibu and the plastic base of the bulb was melted. This appears to be a possible fire hazard.

- West Point, GA, USA

Oct 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

Email (in) requesting an investigation of General Motors re their dangerous & defective products. Updated 2/15/2007 - the consumer smelled antifreeze coming through the air vents. The driver's side headlight had to be replaced. Problem with brakes. A steering gear associated with the rack and pinion was replaced. The transmission hesitated. The consumer heard a knocking noise when turning the steering wheel. Passenger side front turn signal failed. The dash light and tail light failed.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Aug 082006

Malibu 4-cyl

Since purchase of 05 Malibu I have had breaking vibration and vibration in turns to the right. Have had 2 sets of pads and rotors turned once. I am on the third set of tires with rotations every 6000 miles but still get uneven wear. 43,000+ miles and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with the breaking or wheels. Drivers side daytime running light and turn signal has blown 3 times.

- Franklin, NC, USA