2005 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Aug 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the brake lights started to flash. The vehicle was repaired by the dealer in August of 2014 for the same failure. The vehicle was driven home and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Feb 122016

Malibu

My key will not turn in the ignition and I checked for recalls. I called the dealer to fix the recall on the ignition, and was notified that they would only put a piece of plastic over key and would not fix the ignition to turn. I can hardly even start my car because the key won't turn. The key is going to break off in the ignition. The horn and radio do not work either. Not having a horn for incoming traffic towards my vehicle is very dangerous. The turn signals only work at random times and that is very dangerous when switching lanes into traffic. Also, something in the back of the car squeaks for no reason when going down the road at random and when going over speed bumps. This car also drains the battery with unknown electrical problems. The drivers side back passenger window wont go down either. This car has way too many safety issues for only 137,000 miles on it.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Feb 132016

Malibu

Bought car used at 136,000 miles. Car radio does not light up or work, and horn doesn't work. Drivers side back window won't go down. First day driving the car, turn signals stopped blinking and then started blinking again. Suspension in the back squeaks badly when driving at random and going over speed bumps. Did not drive the car for more than one day and now car won't start at all (no crank, no start). These are major safety issues including serious electrical problems. The battery is only one year old on the car when purchased, so should be good. These electrical issues need to be recalled. Now I am stuck with a car that has so many problems and won't start and is definitely not safe to drive.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Feb 062016

Malibu

I'm having an issue where's I'm scared I will be in a car accident. My engine light comes on then my tc light then my car say engine power reduce in the car will just shut off.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 122015

Malibu

Takata recall. Steering locked up while driving going around a corner and took a few minutes to get it to unlock. Happened to my wife with our son in the car. This happened before we got the recall. Got the recall fixed and now the power steering warning light is coming on. Headlight are constantly blowing bulbs. The headlight will go out so I will go to replace the build and then it comes back on. Front right turn signal goes out a lot and if I tap on it then it comes back on. The same with the rear tail light goes out often. This summer the traction control would ding and the button would not turn it on or off. When did this happen question doesn't make sense. It is a on going events.

- Pittsville, WI, USA

Dec 222015

Malibu

I bought my car in 2013 and it's been a decent car. However it is the 2nd Malibu that I've owned and it's got the same issues. The running lights have an electrical error where they short out and melt the actual lights. I'm constantly having to replace the bulbs. I've gotten to where I just turn them off. The 2nd thing happened today. My first Malibu didn't have a sunroof but this one does. I was driving on the interstate when all the sudden I heard this loud explosion, like a gunshot or a semi truck tire blowing up. I look all around me and when I looked up, glass was falling on my head. My sunroof randomly exploded. And according to several mechanical engineers, it's physically impossible for an object flung by another vehicle to shatter a sunroof. Apparently manufacturers have started getting lazy with sunroofs when making cars, so if I were you, I wouldn't buy a car with a sunroof.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Sep 252015

Malibu

The park light/daytime running lights are constantly melting the amber lens. The bulb socket melts causing the turn signal not to work. Every few months I have to remove headlight lamp and fix bulb so it will work. I have seen a number of people with the same problem with their Malibu. Chevrolet needs to fix this problem. This should be a recall as many as are having this problem.

- Scranton, SC, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu

The front driver turn signal does not work, it has melted the plastic inside. I have changed the bulb several times and it continues to burn out. The passenger turn signal is now blinking very fast and then slow so I'm guessing it won't be long before that one doesn't work. Also the drivers side rear blinker and brake light do not work. All of this is a hazard when driving and could easily cause an accident. I have heard of numerous people having these same issues and this needs to be resolved. Clearly this is a manufacturer problem. I would appreciate your prompt response and resolution. Thank you.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jun 172013

Malibu

The contact owned a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While traveling approximately 35 mph, the low beam headlamp assembly failed to work. The contact applied the brake pedal, which did not respond and extended to the floorboard. The contact stated that the vehicle spun around and crashed into a guardrail. The contact was unable to confirm if the air bags deployed. The contact was unconscious and was transported to the hospital. The driver sustained head injuries, broken wrists, a punctured and collapsed lung, and additional internal injuries that required medical treatment. The contact also stated that his teeth were fractured from his mouth due to the impact of the crash. A police report was filed. The contact also received several recall notifications pertaining to NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- El Centro , CA, USA

Jul 152015

Malibu

Driver side front turn signal lamps are burning out in one to two weeks even when replaced with GM parts. Both rear turn signals lamps are also burning out quickly.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012015

Malibu

The turn signal bulbs get too hot and melts into the socket which makes the connection go bad. Even if you change the bulb the connection is bad so the socket has to be changed. This has happened on both of the front bulbs

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Jun 172014

Malibu

Head lamp bulbs and turn signal bulbs have repeatedly burnt out. Bulbs have been replaced by certified GM shop only to burn out again.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 302015

Malibu

After a few days of owning this car I noticed there was an issue with the brake lights turning on while driving. When this happens it also shuts off the cruse control too. When you first press the brakes the lights shut off. Press them again and they work for a few minutes. I searched the internet for help, and noticed GM posted a service bulletin on this issue. GM advised to clean, and grease contacts for BCM. I did just that. The cleaning was only a temporary fix because the issue returned days later. Around may of 2014 I received notice that GM issued several recalls. The car had been broke down until February of 20015, and in April it was sent to my local Chevrolet dealer to have the recalls fixed. Shortly after fixing the recall issues the brake light issues returned. I contacted GM/ Chevrolet and they contacted my local dealer who agreed to look at the car again for free. After they inspected it I was told the brake switch needed replaced. On May 28, 2015 my local Chevy dealer replaced the switch. On May 30, 2015 the brake light issue returned. This is a family car and im afraid that someone will end up hitting us. Can you please help.

- Winamac, IN, USA

Jul 312013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the front blinker bulbs were burning the bulb covers. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 8/27/15

- Modesto, CA, USA

Mar 152012

Malibu

Passenger side front turn signal bulb burns out frequently. It also will work one day and suddenly stop working the next day, then work again later without having done any intervention at all. If I wiggle the bulb just right within the socket, I can get it to work. Something as simple as running into a pothole can make the bulb unit work or cease working.

- Roaring River , NC, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet mailbu. The consumer was dissatisfied with the services of the recall. Updated 02/12/15 the consumer received two recall notices. Recall# 14V252000 and 14V224000.

- Tunica, MS, USA

Jan 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I had to buy a transmission for my Malibu and now I am receiving recalls (multiple) # 14152 & #13036 for the same car. However, on the freeway coming home from temecula, ca, South bound on the 15 highway, my transmission was not engaging. No loud sounds, or excess acceleration, nor too much weight (driver and passenger only cargo.) the engine was on and as I accelerated the engine was going but nothing was propelling us forward. I had to buy a new transmission and pay for labor which came out to a hefty expense. With everything I have read online and forums for these recalls I feel like a reimbursement should be in order if the manufacture even had a slight hesitation of a possible defect.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 072014

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer received a recall notice stating the parts for the vehicle are not in stock. Consumer would like to know if they should wait for the parts or will they be rewarded a new vehicle. Recall # 14V252000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jan 132015

Malibu 6-cyl

My front blinker lights have melted the blinker light housing (the individual plastic globe the bulb resides in). They have to be replaced at a rate of approximately 6 months and I believe it is the car not the lights as I have tried different brands to see if the problem is with the bulbs. **note: As I have not kept a record of the incidents, I have listed the last time as precise date.

- Ada, OK, USA

Oct 092014

Malibu 6-cyl

Bulb design flaw: It burns hot and melts through bulb socket. Original bulb 3157 burns plastic housing on front directional turn signals on Malibu. It is a liability issue - faulty design made for failure and possible major fire hazard issues.

- Dewitt, MI, USA