8.4

2. ensure correct bulb is used (2 reports)
  3. make sure you put the replacement bulb in the correct way (1 reports)
  4. remove the seals behind lights to reduce heat (1 reports)
  5. replace turn signal sockets (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 062012

Malibu LS 3.5L V6

I CANNOT SAY HOW MANY MILES WERE ON THE CAR WHEN THE AMBER LENS BEGAN TO MELT FROM THE BULB HEAT. I noticed the lens melting when I had to replace bulb. The replacement per manual -3057 was done on both right and left front of car.I went to the car dealer and had no success. I CALLED CHEVROLET CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS AND WAS TOLD THAT G.M. CONSIDERS THIS TO BE NORMAL WEAR, AND WILL NOT COVER ANY OF THE COST. . Because of the head lamp design,the amber lens is included in the one complete headlamp assembly. The cost to replace each headlamp assembly at the dealer est. 300.00.

- , Warren, Michigan, USA

May 032007

Malibu LS V6

Turn signal light bulbs haven't lasted for 6 months ever since we bought the car, The lenses have melted down into the sockets and damaged them also.

- , Asheville, NC, USA

Aug 052011

Malibu LS V6

The amber bulb housing will melt if the incorrect bulb is used.... which is easier said than done. If you go to AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Walmart, etc. and use their reference guide to buy a replacement bulb, the reference catalog will give you the "3157" bulb reference for your car.

Problem #1: 3157 gets too hot and will melt the bulb. discoloration and condensation will short out the plug.

Problem #2: Dealers' guide AND TSBs show to replace with EITHER the 3157 or the 3157KX. SO you could buy that car and it's already outfitted at the dealer with the wrong bulb and it will melt the light.

Problem #3: 3157KX is written in the user manual. I used the 3157KX and it still overheated the dang headlight assembly.

Fix: Talk to GM, order a repair manual, link up with a Russian satelite, performe open heart surgery, take a nap and when you get back from calling 1,800 different GM points of contacts, you find out the "double-top-secret bulb" that, for some reason, no one knows about except some GM electrical engineer in a windowless room with a pull string 3157LPC bulb lighting the space. That's the bulb number you need: 3157 LPC... but there is a good chance it's too late and your housing is already melted and your socket has conensation in it and will need to be replaced.

Good luck.

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 012006

Malibu LS V6

The turn signal bulbs have to be replaced every 6 weeks. The turn signal sockets have overheated and melted and burned a big hole in the turn signal bulbs & left the outside headlight burned.

- , Macy, IN, USA

Mar 082011

Malibu ES 3.2L

my front passenger turn signal kept going out and it was melted when i would change it so im trying to change the whole socket to c if that works but this is a real pain.

- , Rockford, IL, USA

Aug 092010

Malibu ES 2.2L V4

Same old GM answer to problem, "First Time We Ever Heard of This?" Their solution is for me to pay to replace head light fixtures. Looks like they have same book in USA.

Said after oh yes looks like design problem, still cost me $40. to tell me what I had told them.

- , Waterloo, ON, Canada

Sep 162009

Malibu Sedan 2.2L 4 cyl

2006 CHEVY MALIBU. THE FRONT TURN SIGNAL LIGHT BULB RUN SO HOT IT MELTED THE ORANGE BULB COVER. THE BASE OF THE BULB STARTED TO MELT ALSO. ON EXAMINATION OF THE HEAD LAMP UNIT I FOUND IT COULD NOT BE REPAIRED. LOOKS LIKE THE COMPLETE HEAD LIGHT UNIT WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED. HAVE NOT FOUND OUT THE COST WILL BE YET.

BUT IN CANADA IT WILL BE VERY EXPENSIVE. ANY ONE KNOW WHERE A NON GM UNIT CAN BE PURCHASED IN CANADA AT A REASONABLE PRICE. EMAIL ME AT JOHNE49@HOTMAIL.COM.

Update from Sep 29, 2009: WHEN REPLAECING THE BULB FOR TURN SIGNALS BOTH FRONT AND BACK. MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE BULB IN THE RIGHT WAY. THE BULB HAS TWO ELEMENTS ONE FOR THE RUNNING LIGHTS AND ONE FOR THE DIRECTIONALS. IF YOU REPLACE IT THE WRONG WAY, THE TURN SIGNAL ELEMENT IS USED AS THE RUNNING LIGHT. BECAUSE THIS ELEMENT RUNS HOTTER THAN THE RUNNING LIGHT ELEMENT IT WILL STAY ON WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING. IT PRODUCES ENOUGH HEAT TO MELT THE PLASIC COVER.

YOU HAVE TO PUT THE NEW BULB IN THEN LOOK AT THE LIGHT TO SEE IF IT IS IN THE RIGHT WAY.

YOU CAN TELL IF ONE IS BRIGHTER THAN THE OTHER. THAT IS THE DIRECTIONAL IS BRIGHTER THAN THE THE RUNNING LIGHT.

Update from Sep 29, 2009: THIS WAS A " 2005 " CHEVY. NOT A " 2006 "

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jul 202009

Malibu LS V6

Great car, overall. The first and only problem I've had with my Malibu is the Front Turn Signal lights (Amber color) have melted their casings. They also serve as day/night running lamps, so they are on all the time. The amber plastic casing that surrounds the bulb melted at the top, and "dripped" down onto the bulb. This happened inside both front headlight assmeblies - driver and passenger sides. I noticed it when I went to replace one of the turn signals that had burned out. I checked the old factory original bulb and it was a 3157 7W bulb, same as what the manual calls for. I installed new replacement bulbs on both sides - 3157 7W Sylvania from AutoZone. If they continue to melt the casing like the factory bulbs did, I'll probably just switch to LEDs.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

May 242007

Malibu LS V6

I used to love this car and now all I want to do is get rid of it. I started having problems with the lights on the front passenger side and the back driver's side. It really suck's because I am always having to go and buy light's then I find out that it isn't covered under the warrt. because it comes as a whole unit what ever the hell that is suppose to mean. When the car was first bought in 2006 I had to take it to the dealer and this car had so many recalls that they didn't even notify me of until I had taken it there. And then they said OH yeah Mama we wanted to let you know that there was some recalls on your car but, we have already taken care of it for you. I said yeah well that is great had I not gone in I would probably be driving around with the same recalled part's. They said no we will contact you - bull sh@t because now look. this car is a piece of crap

- , San Antonio, Texas, USA

Oct 092006

Malibu 2.2L

I had this problems several times, All 4 turn signal lights have happened once, some more than twice. The light bulb is OK, socket is deformed by heat and turn to yellow and can not hold the light bulb firmly.

- , Calgary, Alberta, Canada