2005 Chevrolet Malibu miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Feb 282016

On 28 Feb 2016 around 11:50 am, me, my two daughters and my mom was headed North on I-185. While riding we were talking about what we was going to put in the house we had just gotten approved for that Friday and in mid conversation as I'm going around the curve my car goes over the fog line and I couldn't get the car back into my lane and before I knew it I hit the median (wall) on the left side, my hood flew up and the car bounced off the wall and all I really remember from that point is smashing on break but apparently the car kept going, hit the right side of the wall and came to a stop there. Next thing I know a man was waking me up asking am I okay and said help was on the way. I heard my daughter crying for her sister because she wouldn't move so I get out the car and began to get them out to assure they're okay and everything else is really a blur. I remember a man helping my mom out the car as me and my kids sat on the ground waiting for help and I remember going to the hospital with my kids.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jun 292016

My car theft system light keep coming on. One day it came on while I was driving and the car cut off in the middle of the high way I was struck there for 20 minutes until the light stop blinking. This is very very dangerous this is going to cause someone to get into a bad accident. U don't know when the light will come on but it do U will be stranded somewhere this need to recalled. I have research the internet and this have been going on with Chevy cars for a while now this doesn't make any sense. I have put and new fuel pump in the car and spstk plugs. If this don't get recall I will never never never get an Chevy car again and I will make sure my family and friends and their family and friends don't either.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 192016

My 2005 Malibu is extremely hard to start. It also cuts off without warning. This is very dangerous, as well as frustrating. In cold weather, it will crank after only a few tries. In warm weather or after driving the car, it can take up to 30 minutes to crank. It spins but does not start without a major hassle. When the car finally starts, I have to hold down the gas pedal to prevent it from cutting off again. Frequently, it still cuts off when I put it into gear & I have to go through the starting process repeatedly. It is not reliable & has resulted in my being late to work, as well as leaving me stranded. A female being stranded is not safe. If it should happen to cut off in traffic, I will have no control of the vehicle which could result in an accident. I have tried the suggestions related to this common issue which is blamed on the theft deterrent system, but I continue to have the same problems. This is an every day occurrence, forcing me to start cranking my car 30-45 minutes before I have to leave for work & causing me to sit alone in parking lots trying to start my car so I can go home. The check engine light is on and I had it connected to a computer to be tested. The code number said "no part, no fix" & the mechanic who checked it said he had never seen that so had absolutely no idea what it meant. Reading online forums, I have found that this is a very common complaint from Malibu owners, yet nobody knows how to fix the problem. Chevrolet needs to recall and resolve this issue before someone dies due to it.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Feb 122016

My key will not turn in the ignition and I checked for recalls. I called the dealer to fix the recall on the ignition, and was notified that they would only put a piece of plastic over key and would not fix the ignition to turn. I can hardly even start my car because the key won't turn. The key is going to break off in the ignition. The horn and radio do not work either. Not having a horn for incoming traffic towards my vehicle is very dangerous. The turn signals only work at random times and that is very dangerous when switching lanes into traffic. Also, something in the back of the car squeaks for no reason when going down the road at random and when going over speed bumps. This car also drains the battery with unknown electrical problems. The drivers side back passenger window wont go down either. This car has way too many safety issues for only 137,000 miles on it.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Feb 132016

Bought car used at 136,000 miles. Car radio does not light up or work, and horn doesn't work. Drivers side back window won't go down. First day driving the car, turn signals stopped blinking and then started blinking again. Suspension in the back squeaks badly when driving at random and going over speed bumps. Did not drive the car for more than one day and now car won't start at all (no crank, no start). These are major safety issues including serious electrical problems. The battery is only one year old on the car when purchased, so should be good. These electrical issues need to be recalled. Now I am stuck with a car that has so many problems and won't start and is definitely not safe to drive.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 262015

I took the car in for the ignition recall and all the dealership did was charge me for a replacement key. The key was working fine for a few days and now the ignition is hard to turn over and the car has actually not turning over and the anti theft lights came on while the car was at a car wash getting detailed and I had to tow the car. When I called the irving Texas dealership I kept getting asked the same questions and then no one returned my call. The car had been working fine and was stopped when all this happened.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Dec 222015

I bought my car in 2013 and it's been a decent car. However it is the 2nd Malibu that I've owned and it's got the same issues. The running lights have an electrical error where they short out and melt the actual lights. I'm constantly having to replace the bulbs. I've gotten to where I just turn them off. The 2nd thing happened today. My first Malibu didn't have a sunroof but this one does. I was driving on the interstate when all the sudden I heard this loud explosion, like a gunshot or a semi truck tire blowing up. I look all around me and when I looked up, glass was falling on my head. My sunroof randomly exploded. And according to several mechanical engineers, it's physically impossible for an object flung by another vehicle to shatter a sunroof. Apparently manufacturers have started getting lazy with sunroofs when making cars, so if I were you, I wouldn't buy a car with a sunroof.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

May 252007

Malibu 4-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle veered off the road, into a ditch, overturned and ejected the driver. The consumer wrote in on behalf of his deceased daughter, who was driving the vehicle. According to the police report, the driver may have been sleepy.

- Moore, OK, USA

Oct 012015

My car has electrical problems!!! kicking off all kinds of sensor alarms I.e map, tps, maf... just to name a few I've replaced all of them about 6 times now!!!! my car feels like it's in "limp" mode it keeps losing power and won't allow me to go over 20!!! it's been burning through oil and I know it's slowly going destroy my engine!! this wiring issue need fixed asap!

- Sidney, OH, USA

Jan 242014

Malibu 6-cyl

My daughter-in-law was driving the vehicle to work, lost control of the car, went off the road and hit a tree. Her brakes would not engage and she lost power in the steering forcing her to go off the road and hit a tree. There have been several recalls on the vehicle but it is not drivable, I still have the vehicle at my house.

- Cheboygan, MI, USA

May 162014

Malibu 6-cyl

The transmission shift cable may fracture at any time. No remedy available. No parts available. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle, especially with my 2 year old. The us national traffic and motor vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the us National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time. Recall in may, no fix still in September?? that is not a reasonable amount of time.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Mar 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

Loss of power steering. Front wheels sound like they're about to fall off. Popping noise in steering column.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 032010

Driving down the NJ turnpike the warning bell chimed and a message stating "power steering" came up. At that point my power steering failed. Once I arrived at my destination and turned the car off and on again, the power steering once again engaged. However on the return trip, with my 82 year old mother in the car the power steering once again failed. Dealer informed me that there was a failure of the power steering control module/motor assembly and electrical. Chevrolet has acknowledged a failure of the power steering in this model, this year and within the range that this VIN falls. However the technical service bulletin only applies if the failure is within the steering column. According to the regional manager I spoke with, the Chevrolet warranty dept. Feels that this problem is just one of the issues you will face when owning a car!!! total and complete failure of the power steering system with no warning and no maintenance ever is just one of those things"?"

- Boonton, NJ, USA