2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 14 of 17)

Feb 202010

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Malibu ls V6. Power steering failed making the steering very stiff. It was cold, 31 degrees. The power steering warning come on the stereo. I restarted the car and the problem went away. Prior to this, the steering has pulled to the left, even after a realignment. There have long been knocking noises when I turn the wheel.

- Georgetown, SC, USA

Jun 082008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering locked and made it difficult to turn the steering wheel. When the vehicle was turned off and back on the power steering failure reset itself. The failure continued to reoccur at slow speeds and when the contact was trying to make a left or right turn. The contact also noticed that when the failure occurred, the rpms were approximately 1500. The failure mileage was 45,000. The VIN was not available. The current mileage was 75,000. Updated 3/16/10 updated 05/06/10.

- Danville, KY, USA

May 012009

Malibu

I was driving on a side street at about 30 mph when the chimes sounded, the power steering light came on, and steering became very difficult. I had to stop, turn the car off and then restart it before I could steer again. I understand that this is an ongoing issue with my model car (2005 Chevy Malibu) and that Chevrolet has a technical service bulletin (#07126) on this issue, but my car is outside the maximum mileage to be covered under this tsb. I also understand that there were some NHTSA defect investigations into this issue (primarily the 2004 model), but they have since been closed because the number of reported failures was within an "acceptable range". I guess my response to that is, how many accidents do there have to be and how many people need to die before this issue is taken seriously? while my personal experience was not life-threatening, if this had occurred in heavy traffic at high speeds it very well could have resulted in a fatal accident. I saw today that federal regulators have opened an investigation into complaints that power steering systems in the Chevrolet cobalt can fail, making it more difficult to control the car. I'm sure this is the same issue that is still occurring on the Malibu. I implore you to reopen the investigation on the Malibu (a simple google of "Malibu power steering problems" will show that it is still a major issue) and do whatever is necessary to have this problem corrected.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Sep 272007

Malibu

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu. On several occasions the power steering has failed, usually when making a sharp turn. I first noticed this around two years ago and complained to GM, in which they stated that other cars like mines had, the same issues, but my car did not qualify for a fix since I had already had too many miles on it.

- Mc Leansville, NC, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated as she is driving the power steering goes out. The contact stated she has to steer the vehicle off the road, turn it on and off and it will reset itself. This happens continuously. The contact call the manufacturer and she was told to take the vehicle to the dealer for them to see what repairs can be done. The manufacturer also stated that the contact may be charged for the repairs. The contact will be taking the vehicle in to the dealer to be repaired. The failure mileage was 92,504.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering issue. There is a thumping noise in the steering column when turning. Our daughter's 2006 Malibu was doing the same thing which she took in under the original warranty. They said the column just needed to be lubed which they covered for her. Ours was under the extended warranty which was getting ready to expire with a $200 deductible. The amount they would charge for lubing the column was $90. We have not had it done yet, but after reading the other complaints, I am not sure the lube will ultimately solve the problem, even on our daughter's 2006.

- Waterloo, IL, USA

Malibu

12/2006 I purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. On three occasions in 2007 I experienced a "loud knocking noise" in the steering column of my vehicle and the first two times, it was not completely fixed and finally after the 3rd time they said it was fixed. Until 12/11/2009 when while I was driving, my "power steering" warning flashed across my clock screen and my steering wheel suddenly locked up and I was unable to turn my vehicle. Then on 12/21/2009, I was pulling out of a parking lot and again, the same thing happened 3 times within an hour. I found out from aaa that Chevrolet(GM) had printed a service bulletin regarding this particular problem with the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu and I immediately took my car to steve moore Chevrolet at 9325 South boulevard, charlotte, nc -- at which time they informed me after inspecting the car, that my whole steering column had gone bad. On 1/13/2010, I had to pay $792 to have this repaired and I feel that since this was a problem that GM was aware of, I should be reimbursed for the expense that I've incurred as well as the inconvenience I was caused due to GM not being willing to extend coverage for this repair.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 112010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 35 mph the power steering warning light illuminated and the power steering shut off. The contact turned the vehicle off and after restarting the vehicle the power steering began working normally. The dealer informed the contact that the entire power steering system needed to be replaced. The contact is aware of the safety risk and the possibility that a crash could occur and cause serious injuries. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Malibu

2005 Chevy Malibu. Have told the dealership many times about the "bumping/thumbing" while the car is turning. And found out that there is no place for powering steering fluid...thank god for purchasing extended warranties!!!!!!!!!!!

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Dec 122009

Malibu

The steering wheel pops and jerks in an erratic motion to the left and right. Over the past week it has progressively worsened to the point that it will actually cause the wheels to turn and steer with the wheel. And without no particular reason the power steering will cut out and stop working. While I have yet to take it into a mechanic I have an appointment in a week.

- Portage, WI, USA

Malibu

Steering column shakes and moves on its own then power steering pulled to the left and power steering went out almost crashing into highway barrier. If it happened to my wife she would not have been able to recover and would have hit the barrier at highway speeds, probably killing her and the kids. Power steering comes and goes at any time I never know when it will go out. Dealership will have to replace the entire steering column for about $2,000. This is an obvious issue since there are several complaints on this year of Malibu and there has been 2 tsbs on this particular issue and they will not extend the mileage more than 70K. This is a safety issue due to the fact that you never know when the power steering is going to go out and what the steering column is going to do. This causes an unsafe condition and the probability if having an accident is great since it is directly related to the steering and steering column.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Malibu

Loss of power steering in 2005 Chevy Malibu as described in service bulletin #07126 caused a near miss accident on or about12/10/2009. With the unexpected loss of the electrical assist system vehicle becomes extremely difficult to control. Service bulletin covers vehicles to 70,000 miles of which this vehicle is at 79986 outside of the service bulletin coverage. Steering loss is now an intermittent problem, of which we will schedule to have parts replaced as per bulletin at our cost. I have had conversations with GM on coverage due to the extreme safety hazard this issue causes and the ownership of this issue that GM has conceded by the issuance of said bulletin. Facts of my conversations with GM have been documented in case file #71-783921469. It is my opinion that this steering failure condition should be reviewed for full recall due to the extreme hazard this causes no matter the mileage or age of vehicles covered in the original service bulletin.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph the steering column locked without prior warnings. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and the steering column needed to be replaced. She called and sent a letter to the manufacturer, but no assistance was provided. The current and failure mileages were approximately 108,000. Updated 03/04/10 the consumer stated the right tie rod failed, the front struts were leaking, the steering rack failed and the transmission was leaking. Updated 10/05/10

- Renton, WA, USA

Dec 072009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 20 mph the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel. And there was lose of power steering. She restarted the vehicle to resume normal vehicle operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The technician stated that the steering column assembly needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 89,500.

- Chanhassen, MN, USA

Malibu

I have had several problems with my power steering. It just went out all of a sudden this morning. I almost had an accident. There was an error message on the dash stating "power steering" and the steering column got really tight and was very hard to turn. I investigated and noticed that there have been several complaints for the 2005 Chevy Malibu power steering issues. I called the GM dealership and also had a diagnostic done and the problem was the power steering module. I'm really upset because this is the second time this has happened. I'm very afraid to even drive the car because this could occur at any time which can cause and huge accident. The dealership informed me that they would not be able to assist me because I have more than 100, 000 miles on my car. This is totally not fair. I asked the representation (peter) what if I have an accident. He stated that there is really nothing he could do. Out of all of the reports on the power steering issues it's about time something gets done.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 052009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While exiting a parking space, the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the power steering failed. The vehicle was able to be restarted and resumed normal operation. A technician from the dealer stated that the coil and the roller in the steering column needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 74,000.

- Bay City, OR, USA

Nov 172009

Malibu

At approximately 30,000 miles our 2005 Chevy Malibu developed a clunk in the steering at low speeds, whether or not turning was involved. The dealer replaced the steering gear at no charge. After about 20,000 additional miles the clunk returned. Another dealer replaced both the steering gear and the intermediate shaft at no charge. I have obtained, thru NHTSA, the service bulletins which describe this defect, which shows me that Chevrolet is well aware of this problem, and has not made a recall. I am concerned that the defect may return even with the new parts, and I might have to pay for repairing a defect after the warranty period, for a problem which should be permanently resolved.

- Seymour, CT, USA

Oct 042007

Malibu

The power steering on my 2005 Chevrolet Malibu goes out frequently. The other day I was driving down the highway and the warning beeps (like when the door is ajar) went off, and the power steering went out. I put the car in neutral and turned it off, and back on. This has happened with my car since 10/07. I have taken it to the dealer only to be told that it will cost about $1200 to have it fixed. I think that this should be a recall! it is very dangerous. I have a 16 year old daughter that I will not allow to drive my car because of it's issues. Unfortunately, in this economy I cannot afford to put out $1200 at this time.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Oct 122009

Malibu

I have a 2005 Malibu, and have had a clunking noise in the steering since approx. 40,000miles. I have taken it to the garage several times and they have told me that Chevrolet did not make a place to lubricate the joints inside the column so that they dry out quickly, and are banging together and it is nothing to worry abouti do not agree, anything constantly clanging against another object is eventually going to wear out. I also just had my fuel tank, fuel sensor replaced, at the cost of 600. It started giving false readings and then got increasingly worse until it did not work anymore. My exterior lighting is also messed up. I have to replace bulbs frequently and it looks like the base of the bulb is melted when they take them out. I had contacted my local dealer on these issues and they stated no recalls.

- Beacon, NY, USA

Oct 112009

Malibu

I have an issue with the steering column popping in my 2005 Chevy Malibu (62,000 miles). After researching this issue online I am unsure of what action to take to repair it. Almost every post indicates that after repaired, the popping started again. Have also read posts of drivers losing control of vehicle because of this issue. I am hoping that GM will respond with a recall since there seems to be many issues with this. I am concerned about the safety of any passengers in my vehicle, especially my 5 year old daughter.

- Columbus, OH, USA