2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 16 of 17)

May 092007

Malibu

In 2006 I bought an 2005 Chevy Malibu. Before 49600 the power steering went out. I took it to the shop 8 times before they could tell that it was the steering column. It goes out without warning. We have almost wrecked several times. It has gone out going down the interstate. I started to replace it, but before I did that I researched the matter. It appears that a lot of people are having the same problem that I am having, from the 2005S to the 2008S, from the Malibu to the Malibu maxx. I have not replaced it because many people have had them changed three or four times and they keep breaking. I don't have that kind of money to just throw away. I can't afford to sell it either or trade it in. I am the one who drives it most of the time because I am afraid it will go out when my wife is in a curve, and she could wreck and die because she is not strong enough to control it when it goes out.

- Bogalusa, LA, USA

Nov 302008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact previously experienced failure with the driver's side headlight bulb constantly burning out. Six months later, the plastic headlight covers burned. The steering shaft has been replaced three times. The dealer stated that the plastic cover failure was a factory defect; therefore, they were unable to correct the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000 and current mileage was 78,400. Updated 02-23-09 updated 02/24/09.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Dec 052008

Malibu

Knocking or banging sound in the front end led to the power steering rack being replaced on 11/17/06 at 27M miles on my 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The same happened again on 12/05/08 at 50M miles. Both repairs done by the dealer. I reported to Chevrolet that the rack fails approximately every 25M miles.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Dec 252008

Malibu

Power steering failures... has happened twice in 2 weeks now. Once while sitting still, the other while on the interstate! after searching online, I've found this is a common problem in Malibu's. I think there should be a recall. I thought I was buying a reliable car and instead got a big burden. Being a single mom, these high repair costs will cause me to fall behind in either my car payment or my house payment... and believe me I'd rather live in my house then my car.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 052008

Malibu

Power steering went out, I could barely turn the wheel. Sterring column will cost me almost six hundred dollars to fix.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Mar 012007

Malibu

2005 Malibu, have had both tie rod ends replaced, struts etc. Makes a loud clunking when driving at low speeds and turning. Sounds like wheels coming loose. Sound, sounds like it is coming from steering column, check engine light comes on when I fill gas tank and stays on until approx 1/2 tank.

- Beacon, NY, USA

Aug 082005

Malibu

On 8/25/2008 my steering locked up on my 2005 Malibu classic. O lost control if my car and crashed into 2 telephone boxes. After researching this incident on the internet I find that there are many complaints about this electronic steering problem.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 082005

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. Since purchasing the vehicle, the anti theft device has failed repeatedly, the engine makes a ticking sound, the steering wheel is slipping or loose, and oil leaks from the engine. While driving 45 mph, the dashboard. Vibrates. The contact hears a noise in the radio when the vehicle is turned on, the engine service light is illuminated on the instrument panel, the interior lights failed, the remote start would not start the vehicle, and the engine shakes roughly. The current mileage was 12,030 and failure mileage was 100. Updated 09/24/08. The consumer stated there was a problem with the entire suspension. The shocks and bearings made a noisy. The hazard lights failed. Updated 09/30/08.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Jul 282005

Malibu

Have had numerous warranty work done. Purchased car 4 months ago with 24,000 miles now has 28,000. 6 warranty replacements. Around 25,000 started car and steering wheel was turning violently. Shut car off and it was fine. Later noticed steering was looser and thumping noise. Chevy replaced steering gear. Now at current mileage did the same thing has happened and replacing another component in steering. This is very dangerous. When driving around turns it felt like I had no control over car. Now that my warranty is out my when I put my car into D half the time it will jump into gear and sometimes it gets stuck or wants to stop at R. a car with 28,000 miles should not be having this kind of trouble. I can only imagine what it will be like with 75,000 miles on it.

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Apr 262006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering column makes random knocking noises. He discovered tsb number 1973984, which is identical to the failure he is experiencing. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on three occasions and the recommended solutions in the tsb were heeded; however, the failure persists. The contact is concerned that his steering column will eventually fail completely. The failure mileage was 18,000 and current mileage was 48,000.

- Salina, KS, USA

Jul 242008

Malibu

We have a 2005 Chevy Malibu with 39,000 miles. My wife drives the car normally but I drove the car for a few weeks and noticed a clunking in the steering at low speeds when turning. Taking the car into our mechanic it was diagnosed as a issue with the intermediate steering shaft which had to be replaced. I don't think this part should ever go out let alone at 39,000 miles. It is a safety issue with the car. The mechanic told us that Chevy has had this issue with may cars and trucks and has known about the issue.

- Saint Michael, MN, USA

Jul 232008

Malibu

According to the dealer this vehicle has a defective rack and pinion that is based upon engineering and could cause a loss of control steering while driving the vehicle. A loud popping noise is heard while turning left or right and a snapping is heard when slowing down and breaking. A loose rattle also occurs in front end while driving on primary or secondary roads. Car jumps and steering jerks when hitting a bump on paved roadways. Car has been taken in for repairs three times.

- Leroy, MI, USA

Jul 182008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. When turning the steering wheel, the contact heard a popping sound. The failure began six months ago and now it is causing the power steering to fail. The failure was very subtle at first, but now the power steering fails for days at a time. The air conditioning would activate on and off, but now it does not work at all. The dealer stated that the power steering module and air conditioning resistor needed to be replaced. The contact also stated that the control panel is warm to the touch after driving for some time. The vehicle is currently with the dealer and the repair will cost over $900. The current mileage was 70,000 and failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 09/10/08. The consumer stated the shocks went bad, the tie rod ends had to be replaced, the cd became stuck in the cd player. The rear calipers had to be replaced and the starter worked intermittently. Updated 09/12/08.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jul 012008

Malibu

A friend of mine has a 05 Chevy Malibu. I see an investigation was done on the 04's #peo4031 electric power assist system. I have personally had it go out on me twice. And I could barely steer the car and almost got into a wreck...... I weigh 190 lbs. My girl friend weighs 130 lbs.... people are going to get in wrecks and die because of the eps system. And you are aware of it....... does the S in NHTSA stand for safety "?" thank you for your time.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 112008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. On approximately 100 occasions, the power steering light would illuminate on the instrument panel while driving various speeds. The steering wheel would become difficult to turn as if it were locked. The contact would have to shut off and restart the vehicle to correct the issue. The current mileage was 102,000 and failure mileage was 93,000.

- Grenada , MS, USA

May 222008

Malibu

My steering has been going out, it has been noted that it starts when the weather get warmer. The first time it went out it as 97F, the next time it was 94F, when the temp cools off (90F) I have noted that I can turn the car off and the power steering will come back. I was searching the internet for answers and came across the website www.carcomplaints.com. everyone on there described the same problems with their vehicles. As of yesterday 05/28/08 I have not injured my shoulder due to manually steering the vehicle. I have to drive approx. 50 miles to get home from my office.

- Dayton, TX, USA

May 222008

Malibu 6-cyl

It has been noted that when the temp warms up 92F+ that the power steering goes out and will not reset itself. It has been noted that one the temp goes down to 90F and I turn the car off that I have power steering. This issue started last year but do not remember dates.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Apr 142008

Malibu 6-cyl

My steering gear went out at 35,000 miles the car was still under warranty so GM replaced it. The same part is going out again at 56,000 called the dealer, this part only has a 12,000/12 month warranty. My mechanic says he has seen this alot on the 2005 Chevy mailbu model.

- Waukee, IA, USA

Mar 182008

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering fails with only a beep as warning(as it happens...not before) extremely dangerous.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Dec 262007

Malibu 6-cyl

When starting and/or driving the car for a short time at speeds between 5-45 power steering fails. This has not happened with highway driving yet but I am concerned it will. I am taking car in the nearest Chevy dealer for service. I did receive a notice in the mail in December 2007 regarding problems but was not experiencing the problem at the time and did not keep the notice; soon thereafter I did experience referenced steering problem.

- Ferguson, MO, USA