2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 17)

Aug 282011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving 15 mph when the power steering system malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to seize. The contact was unable to maneuver the vehicle without difficulty. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 92,500. The VIN was not available.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 152011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated and he was unable to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the power steering module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 152,000 and the current mileage was 153,300. Updated 09/29/11 the consumer stated the vehice has not been repaired. Updated 12/13/11

- Pomona, CA, USA

May 082011

Malibu Diesel

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when making a right or left turn, the vehicle would make a loud clunking noise. The dealer replaced the steering shaft, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 24,000 and the current mileage was 26,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 09/21/11 updated 09/23/11

- Daton, OH, USA

Jul 312011

The steering wheel in a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu pops and after time the pops increase and causes the steering of the vehicle to fail. This is a huge safety issue and could cause drivers to crash. If enough people die, maybe GM will recall this design flaw. This is caused from having electronic steering, which means no power steering fluid is suppose to be needed.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Feb 152011

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu, and the steering power goes on and off, one time I was driving it, then the power steering went off in the freeway, I was so scary, I took the first exit right always, it was almost impossible to turn the steering wheel.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jan 052009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and the power steering suddenly stopped functioning. The failure occurred intermittently and progressed over time. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who advised the contact to disconnect the battery when the power steering failed in order for it to function properly. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 89.000.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Jun 242011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed while driving at an unknown speed. Prior to the failure, the contact heard a beeping noise and the power steering service light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the steering rack and column needed to be replaced. The failure and current mileages were 137,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 182011

I would like to amend my previous complaint number: 10407288 the fatality that I mentioned was not proven to be of a direct result of a steering failure. However, according to complaint number: 10364224 the Chevrolet Malibu had steering shaft replaced prior to accident. This was performed at GM dealer due to popping noise while steering, diagnosed at dealer. Repair paid for by owner. Chevy Malibu had 65,000 miles at time of accident.

Jun 172011

Okay, now I am really upset. This is my third complaint about the steering on my 2005 Malibu. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income and I cannot afford to pay to have the car repaired. The car has approximately 45000 plus miles on it and I am afraid to drive it, and I sure can¿T sell it for fear that a steering failure may occur and injure or even kill someone, and although GM can live with that on their conscience, I cannot. The evening news last night reported that Chrysler is recalling more than 11,000 cars, minivans and other models because a manufacturing problem can cause the steering wheel to collapse improperly in a collision. How is this any different than the problem with the design, manufacturing and safety defect with the Chevy Malibu steering" according to their new commercials ¿Chevrolet runs deep¿ they are right, Chevy does run deep, deep into your pocket. Their cold and calloused refusal to recall and repair these vehicles should be a clear indication that GM is totally unconcerned your safety or mine. I have heard of at least one fatality due to the steering safety defect. GM does not give a rip about our safety and will not recall and repair the cars even though this is of major safety concern for any one who owns one of these vehicles. Can anyone say ¿class action¿"

Jun 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu. The power steering is beginning to make a noise. I was told by a repair place, that my power steering electric motor is beginning to go out and I will need to replace the power steering motor. They indicate that they have had several complaints regarding the power steering motor in this peculiar car.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Apr 212011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving 25 mph the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who informed her to take the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer within a couple of days. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,850.

- Winsted , CT, USA

May 072011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph the contact stated the steering wheel pulled to the left. The power steering also stopped functioning; however, within a few minutes it began to function normally. The failure occurred intermittently. The contact will not drive the vehicle or take it to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

May 092011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering would lock abnormally when the vehicle was both in motion and stopped, making it difficult to turn the wheel at any given moment. The dealer was contacted but was unable to assist. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 121,000.

- Anpioch, CA, USA

May 122011

Malibu 6-cyl

This is my second complaint for my 05 Malibu ls, I purchased in 2006, approximately 20,000 miles, noticed shortly after the popping noise in the steering area. I was told at that time GM was aware and working on it. Kept taking it back for repairs/service. In 08 had the steering gear box replaced, now I'm told it needs to be replaced again along with the I shaft. Current mile 109,000, it has only been 50,000 miles since the last gear box was replaced. I asked if this would fix the problem or would I have replace it again and they could not say and offered me $2,000 on trade in. Lol I don't think so. And I wouldn't want to make this someone else's problem. When will GM, with all the complaints do a recall"!! what will it take to get a recall on this safety issue will someone have to die" GM must see that this is a big problem...

- Morris, GA, USA

Apr 072011

Malibu 6-cyl

II have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu lt that I bought used in September 2010. It had 43,000 miles when I purchased it, and now has just over 46,000 miles. Soon after we bought it I heard a loud ¿clunking¿ sound coming from the steering column. I did the customary on line research and found this to be a common problem for that year and model. I contacted GM customer service and requested that they repair the vehicle as I considered this to be a safety issue. They refused to assist in the repair and would not acknowledge that it was a safety problem. They offered me a $100 credit to be used on any future service or repair on the Malibu except the steering problem! the steering has not failed on the vehicle yet, but based on the many complaints that I have read I am leery of driving it on the open road for fear that it may fail while I am driving at highway speeds. Because of the safety concern I will have to have the steering column replaced at my own expense. What is it going to take to get GM to admit that this is a very serious safety issue" and why doesn¿T NHTSA do something about this obvious defect in the design of the steering components" these vehicles need to be recalled and repaired by GM. This is a follow up to an earlier complaint that I filed.

Mar 302011

2005 Chevy Malibu steering is failing. Loud clunking noise coming from steering column and the steering wheel turns wile the tires do not. This is very dangerous and a complete safety hazard! I am being told this will not be covered by GM. A safety recall is needed.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Dec 112010

Lights will start blinking and door locks go up and down then on the radio it will say power steering and the steering will go out its really hard to steer. It also comes up on the radio engine power decreased and the car will just die and you half to wait a couple of minutes before it will start. It has happened about 40 times.

- Cairo, WV, USA

Feb 042011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated followed by a loss of power steering assist. The wheels also locked abnormally. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was contacted in regards to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 125,000.

- Oakhurst, CA, USA

Feb 242011

Malibu 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Malibu. The electric power steering light comes on and power steering randomly quits working. Its happened three times at 107,000 miles. There is an extended warranty special coverage # 1-0183, May 2015 or 100,000 miles. I had the dealership diagnose the problem, cost me $100. To fix it is $700 to $800. The dealer will give me 10% off of parts. GM will not assist with cost because it is not within coverage parameters. This was a company car where I work. I bought it one year ago for my teenage daughter. I feel the steering just now became a problem at 107,000 miles because it was driven highway miles only. I am a single mother and cannot pay the expense to fix the steering problem. Due to safety I cannot put my daughter back into this car. GM has been rude and will not even discuss assisting with the cost of their power steering issue even though they admit it is a 2005 Malibu defect. Can you give me any advice.? this is a well documented common problem with this model and make of vehicle. Definitely a safety issue and GM responsibility.

- Cumming, IA, USA

Feb 202011

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Chevy Malibu vehicle did not drive due to "power steering" issues as I was pulling out of the street. I managed to reverse the car and out it back in the parking spot nearly hitting another parked vehicle because I could not move the steering wheel. I came back a few hours later to attempt to straighten out the car and the power steering worked fine. This vehicle does not inspire confidence in me and Chevy must recall this vehicle and fix this problem now before it is too late.

- Holyoke, MA, USA