2.2

2006 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 132016

Malibu

Traction feature fails when braking. The brakes will not operate properly causing the vehicle to continue to travel forward although the brake pedal is being pressed. This happens most often when braking on an incline or in wet conditions. It happens whether the speed is fast or slow. Have brought vehicle to graff Chevy for recall repair, but continue to have problems. Had brake pads and rotors checked by Firestone who stated that neither of these needed repair, and therefore, are not adding to or causing the problem.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 142016

Malibu

At times it's very hard to steer, turning the key to start the car and the engine just cranks and when you let the key off the engine continues to crank.

- Yreka, CA, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu 6-cyl

When I accelerate quickly to enter traffic, merge with traffic or pass a car (going 25 - 50 mph), I hear ding, ding, ding warming bell and the steering wheel pulls to the right and momentarily becomes locked. I grab it with both hands and let off the gas and it recovers. It is totally unmanageable for those moments and very alarming. I have had my car in four different times since Nov, 2011 for power steering problems/recalls. This current problem is a safety factor!!!! updated 09/15/15.....updated 10/01/15 the consumer stated the steering column and column sensor were replaced twice. Updated 10/13/15.

- Albany, OR, USA

Feb 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering light came on the display. I could not steer or turn the car. I turn the car off for about thirty minutes. I started the car back up called GM dealer on 38th street explained the problem & went in. The service department said that it was power steering column & that it would be 1200 dollars to fix. I did not have the money to fix it. On several occasions this has happened to me. As recently as February 25, 2015 I took my car to a private mechanic & paid $817 for suspension work, bushings etc & $253 for two tires. The mechanic informed me that the intermediate mid shaft needs to be replace & that there was still clucking noise & rattling in the steering wheel. I test drove the car with the mechanic & as I was turning out of the parking lot the power steering locked up again. It was very difficult for me to turn the steering wheel as I was turning on a busy intersection. The power steering light came on display. I cut my hazard lights on & cut the car off & started the car up....I do not feel safe in this car. I got on line on February 27, 2015 googled 2006 recalls on Chevrolet Malibu's & seen that there was a recall. I contacted dorman products & left a message in regards to my issue. I also contacted GM 18006302438, spoke with a representative about the issue (power steering) & she asked for my VIN number. She also asked me if I was the first owner of the car, I explained that I purchased the car from the andy mohr dealership & that there was a previous owner. The representative informed me that the recall letter to the previous owner on February 5, 2015. I updated my information & received a letter the next day for the recall. I am scheduled to go in for electric power steering assist (recall # 14772) on Tuesday March 3, 2015. I hope that this dangerous issue is taken care of. Concerned Chevrolet Malibu owner.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to recall notices. The consumer stated two days after the first recall repair, because the repair was not fully completed, due to lack of parts, she experienced two episodes which she deemed unsafe. While sitting with her foot on the brake, and the vehicle in drive, she suddenly felt a slight shift, as if the vehicle was trying to move forward, which it did, without any warning. The vehicle bumped a car in front of her. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Lake City, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for the recall repair and was later informed that the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/20/14 updated 8/12/2015

- Chugiak, AK, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to torque sensor assembly; wiring harness to the BCM or mag beam and transmission shift cable that may fracture at any time. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available.

- North Massapequa, NY, USA

Sep 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed to perform the recall repairs were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stroudburg, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bloomington , IN, USA

Jan 032011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake lights would work intermittently. The contact replaced the brake lights on numerous occasions. The independent mechanic repaired the wiring harness but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the BCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) the remedy failed to rectify the failure. Additionally, the contact also stated that the heated seat function failed and the power steering seized intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 60,000...updated 10/01/14 the consumer stated the fuel tank would show 1/8 of a tank, but in actuality the tank was empty.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

No physical incidents have taken place as of yet, however when asking about part being replace for my two recalls I get nothing but attitude and "I don't know" answers. My recalls are on the transmission shift cable, body control module, brake apply sensor and electronic stability control. I still make car payments, single mother with a toddler in the vehicle and all I get is an " I don't know" when our safety is in question. If I could afford a rental I would get one and keep the car parked, however a rental is like another car payment....where do I go from here?

- Reading, PA, USA

May 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Epsom, NH, USA

Jan 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

On the day of the incident I was traveling on the road with my two children in the vehicle. Suddenly the speedometer and gauges on the dashboard went down to zero while I was driving. The ABS, traction control, engine light, and security lock lights were lite up on the dashboard. The fuel gauge is not responding to the amount of fuel in tank. If ever I turn the car off it would not restart which meant my children and I would have been stuck in the middle of nowhere. Its been a headache trying to keep up with the amount of gas in my vehicle due to gauge not responding. The power steering light comes on the dashboard. Just everything is wrong with this model vehicle and it seems every week there's another recall that is added to the list. Its scary. Twelve to thirteen lives have been lost already over defaults of the Chevy modeled vehicles. A very insecure and uncomfortable customer/family.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 222013

Malibu

We were never notified about a recall that occurred with the entire steering systems for Malibu's. the manufactures extended the recall up to 150,000 miles. On Friday November 23, 2013, we were backing out of our parking spot when our power steering went out on us. We had none. Then we turned the car off and back on, suddenly it was there again. Here lies the problem; we took it to the local dealership and "they" informed us that there was a recall in the U.S. however, we were not notified and since our Malibu was out of the 150,000 miles; they said the recall would not cover it. How can owners of cars/trucks get their safety items fixed, when they have never received the recall notice"! this is a safety issue, not a physical appearance issue. If I am driving along a corner and my power steering locks up, or suddenly stops and I kill or maim another individual who is responsible? GM" as I read the other "complaints" on this site; this is not about car owners trying to receive brand new cars.we all just want our cars to be fixed by the recall regardless of the mileage and to be safe! perhaps, we all should get together and sue everyone who is involved with not getting the information out to the public and GM. Just a thought. I do not know about the other owners, but I cannot restart my car in the middle of a corner or going down the interstate at 55/65 miles per hour.

- Aumsville, OR, USA

May 022013

Malibu 4-cyl

My wife was driving from work when the car lost power steering. This happened as she was leaving the parking lot of her company. She parked and turned off the car. When she restarted the car the problem went away but the power steering seems different and not as smooth.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 032012

Malibu

Hard to turn steering left 4 brief moment. Power steering light display"??"

- Norwalk , OH, USA

Feb 232012

Malibu 4-cyl

I am having problems with the electric power steering and from what I have heard is alot of other people have similar problems. My steering is real stiff where it needs two hands to turn the wheel and a good strong grip. I think this is unsafe and should be fixed through GM before this fails on others and cause a accident. Thank you.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Oct 132011

Malibu 4-cyl

My steering wheel locked up as I was pulling out of my driveway today and I was so close into hitting my sisters car, I was lucky enough that I was able to steer as much as a could went a little bit onto the bushes. But this is a dangerous hazard if I would have known this I would have never have bought this car.the steering wheel also gives somewhat of a vibration which I thought were the struts which were replaced and the disc brakes. Which alot of money went into replacing those parts. I am the second owner of the vehicle I purchased it in August 2010 and now I am scared to drive around because I never know when it will lock up again. I don't have the warranty on the vehicle and I don't have the money to pay for this to get fixed as I am already paying for college. I have read numerous other messages from other Chevy Malibu owners facing the same issue. What can be done to fix this?

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 102010

Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu loses power steering....same exact problem as the 3/2/10 cobalt recall, but this car is not included.

- Sauk Rapids, MN, USA

Sep 072009

Malibu

Power steering failure on Chevy Malibu 2006 GM. The power steering light almost always pops up on the dashboard. It was most worst when the steering wheel locked on me on a 70 mph highway and I was going about 65. This put my family's life in danger and mine, but were able to avoid an accident. By putting the car in neutral and restarting the car.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA