2006 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 212014

Malibu

After finding out that there are recalls for my car per dot.gov, I scheduled an appointment for repairs with vandergriff Chevrolet in arlington for 7-21-14. I requested that they repair the parts under recall and issue a refund for the amount I paid previously for repair to power steering on my vehicle. I was told that someone would be in touch with me. When I did not get contacted, I returned to the service department to speak with a technician in regard to my service request. Once again, as previously, I was told that there are no recalls on my car. When I directed the technician to the information released by the dept. Of transportation, he stated that GM sent out additional recall letters to recall the original recall notices because they were issued in error, and that there are none in effect for my vehicle. No repairs were done.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 062006

Malibu 6-cyl

Bought car new 2/06. Once home and driving I noticed an electrical issues consisting of radio interference when using any electrical buttons in car, such as windows, and my charging outlets in the car blow fuses when used. When I turn my air or heat on my brake pedal drops down at least 2 if sitting at light. If driving and I turn on my air, the car lunges forward. This is at a critical level now. I took into their dealership from the first month I purchased the car until March of 2007. No one could fix the electrical issue and dealership could not supply me with even the paperwork to show me what they researched while it sat there for over 4 days. Problem is now deadly and I need this electrical issue fixed. I received notice of recall 13036 but nothing concerning the problem with the brake petal and acceleration I have had since purchase. Contacted dealership to get (lemon) replaced and they said, tough luck. Purchased as is...

- Wadsworth, IL, USA

Jul 012010

Malibu

Beginning in 2010 I had to replace the brakes on my car multiple times. To date I have replaced brake pads, drums, and lines 5 different times. My brakes seem to wear easily and frequently screech. Beginning in 2013 after filling my car with gas my "low fuel" indicator dings and my fuel gauge shows empty. This happens every time I fill my car with gas. I have received a recall notice regarding power steering. On two separate occasions I have experienced my power steering going out and I am forced to pull over and turn off my car and turn it back on for the car to work properly. I have contacted GM regarding the recall notice and I have been advised that no parts are available and they will not provide me with a rental vehicle and expect me to continue to drive the vehicle "until the parts are available". they will not provide me with a timeline and have been unresponsive to my other complaints regarding the vehicle.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu

My car stalls and you can smell gas. It hasn't been working in three weeks now.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Jun 012013

Malibu

I have had to replace the headlights and brake lights repeatedly over the past year. When I turn the air conditioning off when I am already sitting, stopped, the car lunges forward and the brake has to be pressed further down in order to stop the car again.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving at night, another driver stopped to let me know that my brake lights were not working. Around this time I also noticed that my cruise control would stop working or not work at all. On several occasions after I first learned of the problem people following me would tell me that it looked like I was riding my brakes when I was not touching the brake pedal. When I would press the brakes they would go off. I tested this by backing up to my garage door and pressing the brakes. They come on when I lift my foot off the brake but go out when I press the pedal. Around this time I also noticed that the gear shifter would sometimes stick/not move even though I had my foot on the brake pedal. My local dealer replaced a computer module and that seemed to correct the problem for a while but the problem has since come back.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 102013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing transmission and bas sensor failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number:14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 97,000.

- Waxhaw , NC, USA

Apr 212012

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on when driving, but do not come on when applying the brakes.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Jun 232010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed and dimmed when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Savage , MN, USA

Jan 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the brakes seized without warning. The failure recurred twenty times. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Apr 022013

Malibu

Brakes lights work intermittently. While applying brakes, the lights will turn off. The lights will flash on and off while driving. This happened intermittently, regardless of speed. Previous owner was rear ended with motorist stating the brake lights were not working. While driving on the highway in stop and go traffic, I was nearly rear ended. At that point I took the car to my mechanic who notified me of the special bulletin that was posted regarding this issue. I was very disappointed that Chevrolet would not offer to fix the known safety issue at no charge. They charged $150 for a simple fix.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Aug 092013

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle on the freeway in lunch hour traffic. As I exited the freeway to change to a connecting freeway, the engine shut off half way along the exchange ramp. At that point I noticed that I had poor breakage and no power steering. Lucky, I was able to coast over and stop in the emergency lane mid ramp, put the car in park, restart the vehicle, and drive off without indecent. It was unsettling to say the least.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jun 212013

Malibu 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle last year, 2012. Just recently the vehicle's brake lights have a mind of it's own. They randomly come on and stay on until the brake is pressed. They go off while the brake pedal is pressed but come back on within seconds of the pedal being released. Cruise control will not work during this issue as it thinks the brake has been activated. My son was almost rear-ended because of this issue. Had the connectors cleaned but the issue still continues to happen.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Dec 102007

Malibu

This car had hardly driven off the lot, as a certified used car with 31000 original miles on the od and I put only 800 miles, when the rotors, and brakes, and steering started knocking, and becoming what I would call "stiff, non-functional" power steering, and pull violently to the left, when uphill. The harsh shaking, of the rotors, and the "stringy feeling of the brake pad, loose was not stopping at a proper safe level. At the future, within 2008-2009-2012 the steering column, was recalled, and put in twice and the brakes were not good, requiring more replacements, and rotors shaved for my safety as it rattled the front end, and caused steering, and distracting for driving safely. I had multiple close calls on basic driving, in rural area, uphill, where power steering went out, the car was not able to be controlled. Prob 10 times, on freeway I could not go past 60 miles, or the engine would act strange, pulling, and again threatening to fail power steering. To date, ,now the maf failed, and shut off the engine while driving, again locking up the brakes, and in the middle of traffic. In total it has 30000 new miles in less then 6 yrs and it remains a deathtrap.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated an independent mechanic informed him that the front brakes had to be replaced. The brakes were replaced twice within a year. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 192012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that a noise was heard while making a turn. The contact also mentioned that there was a popping noise and vibration while decelerating. The vehicle was taken to independent repair shop who replaced the rack and pinion, the outer tie rod, the brakes and drums. The failure recurred. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 70,000. The current mileage was 100,000...updated 08-07-13 the consumer stated the rack and pinion, as well as the outer tie rods were replaced twice, and the consumer continues to experience problems. The consumer was informed the rack and pinion and outer tie rods needs to be replaced again.

- Helendale, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Cruise control went off. Tried to reset to no avail. Drove approximately 20 miles. Reset cruise control and it worked then stopped working. Stopped the car and checked the brake lights which were steady on. Pushed the brake hard and they went off when the pedal was released. Pushed the brakes again and the brake lights flashed off and on intermittently. Drove another 10 miles and the cruise control was working. A person following me stated my brake lights stayed on whether I was accelerating or stopping.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jan 232010

Malibu 4-cyl

I have always had a brake light problem since I purchased the vehicle 1/23/2010. When driving the vehicle, the brake lights are on all the time, and when you press the brakes to stop, the brake lights go off. On lots of occasions, vehicles behind you tend to almost slam you in the rear end because your brake lights are off when you are stopped and they think you have let off the brakes to proceed. There have also been times when there are no tail lights at all. Also, there is an issue of shifting from park to drive. I have seen lots of complaints on the computer, but no recall that I can find. There seems to be some kind of electrical problem somewhere. This is a very dangerous situation and I would very much like to find a solution to the problem at the manufacturers expense.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Aug 202012

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights would not come on, or would stay on. Speed control could be activated, but would kick off by itself. Would not pass inspection because agent said brake lights would not work. Took car to dealer but their repairs did not fix car.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jun 282012

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving vehicle I was being followed by my daughter who thought I was riding my brakes. It turns out that the brake lights are going off when the brakes are applied and coming on when brakes are released. This also affects the cruise control as it will not work when the brake lights come on. This is a very dangerous issue. People driving behind me don't know if I'm stopping or not! there are countless numbers of people with this same problem and the dealerships don't have the answer to fix it. This should be a recall if there ever was one!

- Fayette, AL, USA