2.4

2006 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Letter from congresswoman matsui on behalf of constituent re 2006 General Motors Chevrolet Malibu recall. The consumer was informed the parts were not available, and GM refused to provided a loaner vehicle.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notifications for recalls NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V224000 (power train) and NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V153000 (steering). However, the parts were not available in order to perform the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bonners Ferry , ID, USA

May 142014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was un able to get my car from park to drive. I had to pull extremely hard on the shifter to get it to move.

- Nauvoo, AL, USA

Aug 122014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact stated that the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000. (power train). The contact stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Epsom, NH, USA

Jun 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving at night, another driver stopped to let me know that my brake lights were not working. Around this time I also noticed that my cruise control would stop working or not work at all. On several occasions after I first learned of the problem people following me would tell me that it looked like I was riding my brakes when I was not touching the brake pedal. When I would press the brakes they would go off. I tested this by backing up to my garage door and pressing the brakes. They come on when I lift my foot off the brake but go out when I press the pedal. Around this time I also noticed that the gear shifter would sometimes stick/not move even though I had my foot on the brake pedal. My local dealer replaced a computer module and that seemed to correct the problem for a while but the problem has since come back.

- Acworth, GA, USA

May 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, a chime sounded as the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. Additionally, the transmission would surge when the contact would start the vehicle. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 10/22/2014 the consumer was informed the entire steering assembly needed to be replaced. Updated 02/03/15

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

Gear shift lever moves to park position, but park is not engaged. Can not start engine because transmission is still in drive, even though gear shift shows park. Sounds like GM recall notice #14152, but we were informed by dealer our VIN # is not part of this recall.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Feb 252012

Malibu

My problem started around the end of February and the problem is getting worst. I have a noises that comes from my steering wheel, driving any speed, and making complete turns at anytime it will just go out. Some times it starts when I go out to start my car up and the message borad says check power steering, which making it very hard to make turns. I called the dealership and they said the know about recall, but said I have to wait for a notice because it's not all 2006 Chevrolet Malibu's.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Apr 092013

Malibu 6-cyl

Either while I am driving or when I start my car the power steering light flashes on the display and dings three times, and the power steering stops working. This is very frustrating especially while I am driving, fortunately it has not happened while I am driving around corners, but I am very fearful that it will and I will be in the ditch with major issues. When I start the vehicle this sometimes happens and I need to shut the car off several times on occasions to get the power steering to start working. This is and could be a very dangerous situation. I am truly amazed that GM cares about the Canadian drivers but not about usa drivers. As they have issued a recall in Canada but not in the United States.

- New York Mills, MN, USA

Oct 192009

Malibu 6-cyl

On 11/15/2011 the usa today reported that federal safety regulators were investigating problems with the automatic shift levers on several General Motors cars. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says on its website that it's looking into the same problem on other GM cars like the 2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu. I am the original owner of a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu which has been meticulously maintained and can be verified through carfax or maintenance records. I had to replace the transmission at gordon Chevrolet in tampa, Florida. The cost of the transmission replacement was $3,086.01. The symptoms of the transmission problem were the exact same thing as reported in the usa today article. The vehicle wasn't finding the right gear. The shift lever would feel like it was in-between gears and it wouldn't catch in a certain gear. The RPM's would surge up while it still wouldn't catch into gear. On several occasions when it was placed in reverse it would travel forward as soon as you took your foot off the brake, almost like on a hill but on completely flat ground. On the highway I could be driving at a consistent speed and the RPM's would be jumping up and down which it never did in a proper gear. It would increase RPM within seconds and continue to do so even though I maintained speed and the elevation on the road remained the same.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu ls. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was inoperative and would read that the tank was either empty or full erroneously. The check engine warning light would also illuminate intermittently. The dealer denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle and the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 73,000. Updated 11/16/11 the consumer also stated the catalytic converter was clogged and the vehicle would not accelerate in passing gear. Updated 11/30/11

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA