2006 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jul 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer, who replaced the BCM spacer and the transmission shifter but the failure recurred months later. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train), but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Noble, OK, USA

Oct 232014

Malibu

I parked my car and locked the doors up for the night, just like every other night, but the next morning when I tried to start my car the battery was dead. I knew I had not left anything on to run it down. After getting the battery charged and my car started I headed off to work about 5 minutes into my drive my door locks started going crazy unlocking them selves and making a clicking noise this continued for about 10 minutes when I got to work I locked the car up and went to work got off work to find out the battery again was dead. And this time my doors were unlocked. I had this problem on and off for the next week until I had to buy a new battery. The new battery seemed to fix the issue so I thought. But once again it started unlocking its self repeatedly, I have gotten use to it acting up and pretty much over look it when it does it, but it still happens a few times a week.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering light came on the display. I could not steer or turn the car. I turn the car off for about thirty minutes. I started the car back up called GM dealer on 38th street explained the problem & went in. The service department said that it was power steering column & that it would be 1200 dollars to fix. I did not have the money to fix it. On several occasions this has happened to me. As recently as February 25, 2015 I took my car to a private mechanic & paid $817 for suspension work, bushings etc & $253 for two tires. The mechanic informed me that the intermediate mid shaft needs to be replace & that there was still clucking noise & rattling in the steering wheel. I test drove the car with the mechanic & as I was turning out of the parking lot the power steering locked up again. It was very difficult for me to turn the steering wheel as I was turning on a busy intersection. The power steering light came on display. I cut my hazard lights on & cut the car off & started the car up....I do not feel safe in this car. I got on line on February 27, 2015 googled 2006 recalls on Chevrolet Malibu's & seen that there was a recall. I contacted dorman products & left a message in regards to my issue. I also contacted GM 18006302438, spoke with a representative about the issue (power steering) & she asked for my VIN number. She also asked me if I was the first owner of the car, I explained that I purchased the car from the andy mohr dealership & that there was a previous owner. The representative informed me that the recall letter to the previous owner on February 5, 2015. I updated my information & received a letter the next day for the recall. I am scheduled to go in for electric power steering assist (recall # 14772) on Tuesday March 3, 2015. I hope that this dangerous issue is taken care of. Concerned Chevrolet Malibu owner.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu 6-cyl

The vehicle on several occasions at a speed of 30 mph approximately turned off. When this happens there is no control of the vehicle, the direction gets stuck as well as the brakes. I have received two notifications from you, one on August 2014 & the other one on January 2015. I have gone to the dealer and as of now there is no solution to this issue. The dealer I have gone is the nearest one: Autonation Chevrolet doral located at 1201 nw 89th ct miami, fl 33172.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

In the middle of driving the anti-theft system activates. The light for it comes on, my locks, and I cannot accelerate. This happened a few times over the course of a month and is now very frequent. I loose the ability to accelerate. This is very dangerous. It happens while on the interstate or when going slower. Once I also lost power steering. I have taken it to the dealership just to be told no codes were noted. From speaking to other Malibu owners this is all to frequent of an issue.

- Walker, LA, USA

Sep 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle hits 25 mph while driving straight and the power steering fails. A dinging would go off and it would not move till the car was shut off and reset.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Dec 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the traction control and engine shutting down warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Troy, KS, USA

Nov 102010

Malibu 4-cyl

The steering completely locked up multiple times while commuting to work on I-95, South, in Maine. One time in particular, noted above, in which it was absolutely frightening. The entire dash would light up and all gauges would drop, the power steering would completely lock, and you would have to slowly make your way to the side of road. There were always steering, shifting, locking, braking, concerns with this car. We were constantly bringing it in to be looked at for transmission and steering issues. After multiple recalls, I thought it best to state that this car is truly unsafe. At this point we have had the car for so long, it is more of just a reassurance that someone is seriously looking into the manufacturing of these vehicles. We cant seem to get much luck with repairs, and even issues that are completely related to these recalls, we are still paying for out of pocket. We no longer drive it on the highway, if avoidable, but we do still have to use it as a commuting vehicle to work on other roads daily. We would love to see the entire vehicle recalled, as it is truly concerning that the company finds these issues to be minor repairs.

- Springvale, ME, USA

Dec 192014

Malibu

I recently sent my car over to global auto mall in North plainfield, NJ. It was there for a week without anyone calling me informing me if the car was finished when they were supposed to fix the recall. I came from the car mechanic today because my car was not working properly and the same items that were supposed to be fixed were not fixed and now I have to spend more money trying to fix it.I would like to be reimbursed for the work that I have done for my car immediately. I don't have money to keep fixing this car and I am willing to go to the media and other legal options that I have. I have kids and a wife to support and this recall did not help the situation.

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Oct 212014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the anti theft light illuminated sporadically. The vehicle stalled and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Alburquerque, NM, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when attempting to start the vehicle, the key would remain in the start position while still in the ignition switch. The contact stated that in order to resume normal operation the vehicle had to be shut down and restarted. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Littleton , CO, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to recall notices. The consumer stated two days after the first recall repair, because the repair was not fully completed, due to lack of parts, she experienced two episodes which she deemed unsafe. While sitting with her foot on the brake, and the vehicle in drive, she suddenly felt a slight shift, as if the vehicle was trying to move forward, which it did, without any warning. The vehicle bumped a car in front of her. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Lake City, SC, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for the recall repair and was later informed that the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/20/14 updated 8/12/2015

- Chugiak, AK, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly shut off without warning. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. After restarting the engine, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to torque sensor assembly; wiring harness to the BCM or mag beam and transmission shift cable that may fracture at any time. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available.

- North Massapequa, NY, USA

Jun 182014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the parts were unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Sep 112014

Malibu 6-cyl

Total loss of electrical, power, steering, etc. The car just turned off. Pulled over highway to restart engine. Ignition just shutoff without warning.

- Independence, MO, USA

Sep 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed to perform the recall repairs were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stroudburg, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bloomington , IN, USA

Jan 032011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake lights would work intermittently. The contact replaced the brake lights on numerous occasions. The independent mechanic repaired the wiring harness but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the BCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) the remedy failed to rectify the failure. Additionally, the contact also stated that the heated seat function failed and the power steering seized intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 60,000...updated 10/01/14 the consumer stated the fuel tank would show 1/8 of a tank, but in actuality the tank was empty.

- San Antonio , TX, USA