2006 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Dec 012012

Malibu

About two years ago (2012) my vehicle would have trouble starting. When my car would not start I would wait for a minute and then try to turn vehicle on again. Sometimes this 'waiting' technique would work, other times it would not. When it would not work I would have to have my car jumped and only then would my vehicle turn on. After going to countless mechanics, including the Chevrolet dealership, I had my ignition keyhole replaced a few months after this incident began. The mechanic who replaced the keyhole only did so because he-like every other mechanic who looked at my car- could not find any other problems that would cause my car not to start. However, only a couple of months after the keyhole was replaced the problem re-appeared and has persisted ever since. The most trouble I have had was in November of 2013 when my car had to be jumped 3 times because it would not start no matter how much time I let the car rest. I have had my battery checked to see if that was the problem, but it never was. I feel like my car has the most trouble starting in extreme weather conditions (extremely hot, cold or humid). These incidents happen at least once a month with the most recent incident being just last week.

- Marco Island, FL, USA

May 072014

Malibu 6-cyl

On 5/07/2014 I got in my car that morning to take my 4 children to school the car started and died 3 times. When it finally did start I couldn't get it out of park! while on the way to school I was nearly hit from behind because my brakes lights failed to function! the problems have gotten worse daily since then. When I would drive the car it would take off on its on, the cruise control no longer functions, I have to try at the minimum of 7 times to get it to crank!! now it is very unsafe for me to drive I can't even take my children to school my neighbor has to take them and pick them up! I was finally sent a recall letter the last day of July 2014. In this recall are all the problems I am having. They say when called that they do not know when the parts to fix it will become available. What am I to do? I have a car I am paying for and can not drive!! I can't afford to go buy a different car. I told them since they had no idea when parts would be in to just replace my car and the answer was no!! they also want me to pay to have it inspected. This is their fault not mine I should not have to pay for anything!!!

- Nauvoo, AL, USA

Mar 022013

Malibu 4-cyl

Around March 2013, I first began to encounter problems with my power steering. It began at a low speed with a chime, a message display saying to check the power steering, and my wheel locking up (power steering fail). At the time, I did not think much of it because after restarting the car, the power steering seemed fine. After this incident, there were many times when the chime would sound and the message would flash but the power steering still seemed to work. I took my car in for other issues and had this checked out at the same time. The trouble code in the system was C0545 for torque sensor input failure. My mechanic explained that this was a common problem and even checked for a recall at that time. I left with my car that day due to having to wait for parts. Two days later while driving 45mph, the power steering entirely failed. It felt as if my wheel locked entirely. Luckily there were not many cars on the road and I was able to direct it into a parking lot. My car was taken back in immediately and they had to replace the entire steering column. This repair cost around $500. In July 2014, it was brought to my attention that GM finally issued a recall for this problem. So, I called GM to to submit my information to be reimbursed. I was told that only some 2006 Malibu were being recalled for this issue and that my 2006 Malibu was not one of them...even though my 2006 Malibu had the problem they were recalling for! come to find out, this has happened to many other 2006 Malibu owners. Needless to say, GM has done a terrible job correcting a serious mistake.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 072012

Malibu

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while traveling to approach a stop or when a turn was made the steering wheel was extremely hard to turn. The electric power steering failed intermittently. The contact had to apply force to turn the wheel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the steering column and the ignition switch. The failure recurred and the contact was not able to turn the key to start the ignition along with the vehicle stalling intermittently. The anti-theft sensor illuminated, service engine sensor and a lock symbol on the radio continued to illuminate. The radio was not working. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000. Dyd

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 062006

Malibu 6-cyl

Bought car new 2/06. Once home and driving I noticed an electrical issues consisting of radio interference when using any electrical buttons in car, such as windows, and my charging outlets in the car blow fuses when used. When I turn my air or heat on my brake pedal drops down at least 2 if sitting at light. If driving and I turn on my air, the car lunges forward. This is at a critical level now. I took into their dealership from the first month I purchased the car until March of 2007. No one could fix the electrical issue and dealership could not supply me with even the paperwork to show me what they researched while it sat there for over 4 days. Problem is now deadly and I need this electrical issue fixed. I received notice of recall 13036 but nothing concerning the problem with the brake petal and acceleration I have had since purchase. Contacted dealership to get (lemon) replaced and they said, tough luck. Purchased as is...

- Wadsworth, IL, USA

Jun 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving at night, another driver stopped to let me know that my brake lights were not working. Around this time I also noticed that my cruise control would stop working or not work at all. On several occasions after I first learned of the problem people following me would tell me that it looked like I was riding my brakes when I was not touching the brake pedal. When I would press the brakes they would go off. I tested this by backing up to my garage door and pressing the brakes. They come on when I lift my foot off the brake but go out when I press the pedal. Around this time I also noticed that the gear shifter would sometimes stick/not move even though I had my foot on the brake pedal. My local dealer replaced a computer module and that seemed to correct the problem for a while but the problem has since come back.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 102013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing transmission and bas sensor failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number:14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 97,000.

- Waxhaw , NC, USA

Mar 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

Hears a clicking noise from car then it will loose steering and shut off, no acceleration, steering wheel locks up, no lights. All turns off, has happen about 8 times. Next time, put foot on brake it jumps, all shuts off, it some times take 3 or 4 times for the car to start back up. Chevrolet shop has replaced parts, still can not find out why it shut off. If this has happen to others that has a Malibu, please help, with suggestion on what the Chevy house can do to help me out. Thanks

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

The driver drove into her drive way from a short drive. When she parked in her driveway, she noticed smoke coming from the under the dash board. She exited the vehicle, ran into her home to tell her mother. When they ran back outside, the vehicle was engulfed in flames. They called the fire department immediately thereafter. The fire marshal conducted an investigation as to the cause of the fire and he concluded that the fire combusted from within the vehicle, likely electrical. No one was injured however, the vehicle is totaled and the driveway is stained from the smoke and fire.

- Pentias, TX, USA

Apr 212012

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights stay on when driving, but do not come on when applying the brakes.

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Jan 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

Occasionally when starting the car it will make a jerking motion and sound like it wants to cut off. I have had times when it would cut off right after starting or while sitting at a red light. A few times (probably a dozen) after cutting off I had to try a couple of times to restart the car, the other times I was able to restart it the first time. It will do this for a couple of days or weeks and then be fine for a while.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jan 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

On the day of the incident I was traveling on the road with my two children in the vehicle. Suddenly the speedometer and gauges on the dashboard went down to zero while I was driving. The ABS, traction control, engine light, and security lock lights were lite up on the dashboard. The fuel gauge is not responding to the amount of fuel in tank. If ever I turn the car off it would not restart which meant my children and I would have been stuck in the middle of nowhere. Its been a headache trying to keep up with the amount of gas in my vehicle due to gauge not responding. The power steering light comes on the dashboard. Just everything is wrong with this model vehicle and it seems every week there's another recall that is added to the list. Its scary. Twelve to thirteen lives have been lost already over defaults of the Chevy modeled vehicles. A very insecure and uncomfortable customer/family.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Dec 162013

Malibu

The first is the steering sounds like front end is going to fall apart when driving and when I turn corners. The second is the fuel the car constantly shuts off for no reason. And the third is the air conditoner blows from cold to hot.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

May 142014

Malibu 6-cyl

Fuel level sensor failure. Fuel reads empty even though the gas tank is filled. It took 3 hours and 322 dollars to fix.. unreasonable is all I can say...

- Bedminster, NJ, USA

Apr 232014

Malibu 6-cyl

Car shuts off while driving an steering is hard.

- Chase , MD, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

I have taken my car to Sierra Chevrolet in southfield, mi where it was purchased in 10/13, since purchasing on 3 different occasions in 5 months for loss of power steering and all systems on dashboard drop to zero (0), gas, speedometer and RPM's. I was first charged $125 (dealer claimed they would split cost) which didn't fix problem. Now they are trying to charge me $430 to replace a module with no guarantee this will fix problem. I am being repeatedly told my car does not fall under the recall. I have a copy of letter from NHTSA to General Motors dated 3/31/14 identifying safety recall of power steering as well GM's letter to dealerships dated 3/31/14 referred to as bulletin # 14116 which states dealers are to replace torque system in models 2004-2006 Malibu.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 072014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering assist failed as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition coil needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired on two occasions but the failure recurred. The approximate failure and current mileage was 160,000...updated 04-23-14 updated 05/28/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired and the owner is in possession of the failed parts. Updated 06/2014

- Dayton, NV, USA

Feb 062012

Malibu 6-cyl

I have been repetitively turned away by various GM dealerships to address serious issues with my vehicle & potential recalls. My issues include - steering malfunctions making the vehicle difficult to control, faulty fuel pump sending unit causing check engine light to illuminate & vehicle to stall, uncontrollable vibrations when breaking at high speeds nearly causing me to wreck, popping sounds in the suspension system, and finally unexplained electrical malfunctions such as radio switching channels on its own, failure of keyless entry system, failure of remote entry system, buzzing of lights when dimming, and flickering of headlights. I have been told by dealerships that because my vehicle is a "fleet car" that it does not qualify for any recalls. Problems began while under warranty. Steering wiring harness was replaced while under warranty. At around 65,000 miles, systems began to fail despite my regular care of the vehicle which I have documented. After warranty expired, I was routinely turned down for recall inspections. A recent emissions inspection caused concern by the mechanic over the steering of the vehicle and I was encouraged to address these problems again. I cannot afford a new car.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jan 112014

Malibu

I got in my car last night, coming from out the grocery store, and it wouldn't start!....anti theft system light kept blinking. I live in Michigan and its January, I was freezing, crying and didn't know what to do. Thank goodness I didnt have my daughter with me....I googled about what happened and it seems a lot of people are having this problem. Why hasn't this been recalled"??"!!!!!...I tried the 10 minute fix but while doing it, it drained my battery. Every GM car I had, has given me problems. They don't want us to buy foreign but I think next time I get a car thats where im heading!...GM you are ridiculous and every site I get to complain on about you, I will!!!!....get this fixed asap!!

- Flint, MI, USA

Nov 232013

Malibu

As I was pulling out of a parking lot a message came across my radio/temp screen and said power steering. All of a sudden my power steering went out. I drove it a few blocks to make it home with absolutely no power steering. It was tough, but I made it home. I turned the car off and did a little research on the internet concerning my power steering. I seen a lot of people said once they started their cars again the power steering worked, but also went out again intermittently. So I went outside and started my car and sure enough my power steering is working....for now. I am scared to drive it again fearing it will go out and I won't be able to control it and cause a horrible accident. GM needs to recall these cars because this is a huge safety problem!

- Sioux City, IA, USA