8.7

2. need to have manufacturer fix problem for free (5 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 172013

Malibu LS

While driving my power steering keeps locking on me and the power steering warning light appears on the dashboard. I pull over turn off the car and then turn it back on and it resets itself but then keeps happening. It is very difficult to drive the car when the power steering keeps locking on me and was almost in an accident because of it. This needs to be recalled and fixed as soon as possible.

- , North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Dec 212012

Malibu LT V6

This is a very dangerous problem especially in the winter. My power steering started failing back in December and it is happening more often now. I can shut the car off and restart it and, most of the time, that fixes the problem. The worst is when it goes out while I am driving on Minnesota roads in the winter. Icy roads and no power steering makes for a major accident waiting to happen.

- , New York Mills, MN, USA

Aug 022012

Malibu LTZ

I have had the same problem others have mentioned. I got a letter from GM this past spring 2012 saying this may be an issue but not to bring it in until I experience problems. I started experiencing them and called the local dealer to set up a time to get it fixed. As I read the letter it said that it has to be less then 10 years old, which it is and also less then 100K miles. Well now I am out of luck. This is a pain in the ass and hard for my female family members to drive when it goes out. I can reset it by turning the car off and starting it again. However it will go out again and display on the "Dic" appropriately named, Power Steering. Only on left hand turns. My concern is if it goes out before I hit a highway as if I had to make an evasive maneuver it would be difficult for me, not to mention my wife and daughter. I should have just brought in the thing when I got the letter. This should be fixed as it is a safety issue. This happens almost daily. Some days better than others.

- , Maple Grove, MN, USA

Jul 202012

Malibu LTZ V6

2ND major l failure in 18 months. Not sure why GM thinks all these electronics are good when there are so many failures

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 212010

Malibu LTZ 3.5L V6

This problem was caused by a failed sensor in the steering box that is connected to the steering column. All Malibus except the SS models, have an electrical steering box which is where the failure is. All SS Malibus with the 3.9 L engine. have the old style hydraulic unit and rarely give any trouble. The newer Malibus have redesigned sensors in the electrical steering units. How do I know so much about this, I worked and retired from Gm after 30 years of service.

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

Oct 062007

Malibu LS 4.0L

After purchasing our 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx in January of 2007 we started having the power steering go out when turning to the left. This started occurring in October of 2007. It was only intermittent at first then gradually got worse. We checked on what it was and about getting it fixed but found out it would cost around 1400.00 to fix it. It was a manufacturer's goof and they should fix it at no cost to the consumer. They finally sent us a letter stating there was a problem with the electrical steering and would fix it if it didn't have anymore than 100,000 miles on it. By the time we got the letter we already had a little over 100,000 miles on it. It is the manufacturer that put in a bad part and they should fix it. Our car is now all paid for, but we still have the same problem and will never buy another Chevrolet product of any kind because they will not take care of their goof ups. Phooey on Chevrolet company. We have more problems with the steering in hot weather than cold, which is a real mystery. Shouldn't have any steering problems at all. It is hard to steer and never know when it will go out.

- , MOFFAT, CO, USA

Jan 302011

Malibu LT V6

Brilliant GM decided to use "Electrical Power Steering" (EPS) Mechanisms in a few sedans (Malibu; Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6) which fails, a lot, generally on the 2005 and 2006 models. (Makes you wonder why they switched to Hydraulic (liquid) Power steering in 2007 huh?!) Basically, the long and short and simple is The steering can/will lock up on the vehicle making it hard or impossible to turn the steering wheel/car. Obviously making accidents a 100% surety and saftey not. GM refuses to fix the cars in the 2006 year (2005 was issued a recall, still trying to find out why the 2005 got a recall and not the 2006) Have complained to National Highway Admin, BBB, and GM. GM told me to go to the dealer....why?! why?! they didnt build the car, not their problem.

- , Hanover, MD, USA

Jan 012011

Malibu V6

I first noticed the power steering problem a few month ago. I made a right turn on to a two lane street. I merged over to the far left lane, my steering wheel froze and a beeping noise came on. I tried to keep control of my car by turning the steering wheel to the right but it wouldn't budge. I got scared, my car was about to hit the center divide, so I let up off the gas, at that time my steering wheel loosened. I was able to prevent my car from crashing into the center divide. This has happened many times afterward. Today I was at a red light waiting to turn left. The light turned green, I proceeded to make a left, my steering wheel locked up, again I was about to hit the center divide to my left, but this time there where cars there waiting at the light, once again, I began to panic. Not only could my car hit the center but I could possible hurt someone else. So, I let up off the gas and regained control of my vehicle. I decided today, I'm fed up!!! So I went online to see if I possibly got robbed when I purchased this vehicle 7 months ago. Did I buy a lemon or is there a recall on my car. After reading the comments from this site, I'm furious that this has been happening with other people. And there's no recall???? Are you kidding me?? Is it going to take someone to get into an serious accident before someone takes action??

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 122010

Malibu LT 6 cylinder

When I drove to Church my steering wheel felt like it was "wobbly". After leaving it for the hour and coming back out I started the vehicle and a message appeared on the computer "power steering". Guess what? I had no steering I checked the mfg.'s book and it said I could drive in a standard mode. I made it home with very much difficulty when turning. The next day my son tried the car and the power steering was back on. When I took the car out the following day, it was fine but while idling to warm it up, it went back out. I shut off the engine and restarted the car and it worked. What will happen if I drive on a highway at a speed of 60 mph and my power steering quits?

- , Stonewall, MB, Canada

Aug 012009

Malibu LT 3.5L V6

So I took it to the dealer after opening a case # with GM. The GM rep said they wouldn't rule on any assistance witht this repair until after having the repair done. So $800 plus later they said no assistance would be given. I explained that I bought the car 1 year old from a GM dealer as a GM Certified car. The rep said that because it was in a rental fleet before the dealer sold it they wouldn't cover anything.

My advice? Dont buy GM, or at least dont think that the "GM Certified" moniker actually means anything. Maybe it means "GM Certified not to be covered".

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA