2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 13 of 28)

Nov 072012

Malibu 4-cyl

When pulling out from a stop and making a right hand turn the power steering quits - making it very hard to steer, power steering comes up in the display center, and the warning center ding is sounded. Started happening about once a week and now happens a couple times each time the car is driven. When the car is shut off and restarted everything is back to normal, until it happens again when making one of your next right turns.

- New Richmond, WI, USA

Apr 092013

Malibu 6-cyl

Either while I am driving or when I start my car the power steering light flashes on the display and dings three times, and the power steering stops working. This is very frustrating especially while I am driving, fortunately it has not happened while I am driving around corners, but I am very fearful that it will and I will be in the ditch with major issues. When I start the vehicle this sometimes happens and I need to shut the car off several times on occasions to get the power steering to start working. This is and could be a very dangerous situation. I am truly amazed that GM cares about the Canadian drivers but not about usa drivers. As they have issued a recall in Canada but not in the United States.

- New York Mills, MN, USA

Apr 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was taking my daughter to school and the car all of a sudden pulled to the right, I heard the ding ding sound the car makes when there's a problem, the power steering flashed on and off rapidly. The wheel became very hard to turn but it quickly returned back to normal. I went online and noticed that there are a number of complaints similar to what I experienced. I am really concerned about this. The 2006 Malibu has had a recall on the steering column in Canada but not in the us. I think that GM should fix the problem. This could cause an accident if it is not fixed.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Mar 102013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the electronic steering locked up, as the consumers wife was making a left turn. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column had an internal short in one of the sensors. As a result, the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 40,708. Updated 04/30/13

- Turnersville, NJ, USA

Mar 062013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking lot and the car gave me the 'ding' that tells me something is wrong. I looked at the dash and it flashed power steering. The wheel became very hard to turn and I was able to pull into a parking stall. When I started the car back up the steering was normal again. I went online and noticed that there are a number of complaints similar to what I experienced. I am really concerned about this. The 2006 Malibu has had a recall on the steering column in Canada but not in the us. I think that GM should fix the problem. This could cause an accident if it is not fixed.

- Kent , WA, USA

Dec 182012

Malibu 4-cyl

The vehicle was being driven on 2 lane highway at 45 mph suddenly power steering warning message appeared in display, warning noise came on (ding) and there was no power steering. The vehicle was pulled over anf the ignition was turned off and the vehicle was re-started and the warning message was gone and the powersteering started working again. I checked for, (diagnostic trouble codes), dtc's with a scantool and there were no codes listed. I looked for service bulletins for this and found the following. Special coverage adjustment - power steering assist2012/05/2310183A this bulletin covers my vehicle and will replace the steering column in the vehicle.

- Linden, MI, USA

Feb 102013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostics who stated that the steering a shaft needed to be replaced. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The failure mileage was 30,280. Updated 03/15/13 the consumer stated his wife experienced two failures at 25 mph and one at 5 mph. Updated 03/27/13

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 092013

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway with 60 mph. I suddenly recognized that it was very hard to steer. It was very hard for me to pull it over. As I knew this issue with 2006 Malibu cars (read many complaints about it on the internet before), I did not panic, and achieved it to pull over without any accident. (by the way, I am a male driver and I do not think any female driver without any knowledge of such problem in advance could pull the car over) I have seen the "power steering" flash on the screen during the incident. After turning off and on the ignition, everything was normal. I do not know whether it will repeat again in the future. I searched for any recalls about the power steering, and found that 2005/2006/2008 Malibu cars were recalled on October 2012 in Canada. (please see the link for more information wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/7/vrdb-bdrv/search/recalldetail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2012331 ) however, there is no such action in the usa. It is a very crucial safety problem and these cars are to be recalled immediately in the usa as well. GM should definitely take an action before any deadly accident happens.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 252013

Malibu

Traveling down the highway and suddenly the vehicle is very hard to steer got the vehicle pulled over to the side of the road after having to muscle the wheel then had the car towed to the dealer.was told it was a electric power steering assist motor that had went out causing the problem and after questioning about a recall was told they were recalled in Canada but not the us this is a very concerning matter that GM needs to correct.

- Ashlandcity, TN, USA

Jan 232013

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering goes out whenever it want to while the car is in motion. The gas hand goes down to E when the car really have gas in it, but it will go back up on its own. The engine light is on, and the car do not get as much power have to hit the gas all the way RPM go all the way up. I have not even had this car for two years but having all these problems with it.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 042010

Malibu 4-cyl

When driving down the road attempting to switch lanes to the left the power steering failed. The vehicle lost power steering and pulled to the left towards oncoming traffic. Fortunately I was able to compensate for the loss and pull over without incident. My info center indicated a "power steering" error and chimed 3 times. After turning the car off and back on the problem remedied itself. Since then this has happened three additional times. This is an intermittent problem and the dealership cannot diagnose the error without reproducing it.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Jan 052013

Malibu 6-cyl

Upon returning from vacation, we retrieved our 2006 Chevrolet Malibu from a friends house and the car beeped once and my husband was like "what's that", then I noticed in the message center area that it was flashing power steering, which it had never done before. Now, every time I get into the car, the car beeps and the power steering message comes on in the message center. I have researched the issue and have noticed that GM is not accepting full responsibility for these defective steering columns/power steering motors, only those select few (cobalts, etc.)"? apparently quite a few are being recalled in Canada, but not in the U. S. and it only leads me to the question: Why?" I have been a loyal Malibu owner (this is my third one) but if GM is not willing to step up and admit a serious safety defect, I may have to rethink my choice of vehicle ownership.

- Cheney, WA, USA

Jul 262012

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering light came on the steering wheel started to jerk. So I put off the road turn the car off look under the hood for a power steering pump fluid holder notice there wasn't one. So I started the car and it drove fine. So lately, it keep happen very often but the Chevrolet company say that it is not a defect in the car. But I have read a lot of complaints about the same problem that I am having with this car. I have carry the car in to get it service to see what was wrong with it and it was the power steering column. The dealer with not paid for it because I have to many miles on my car. But if I have only 150,000 miles they would. Because the mechanic say that it is not a defect in the power steering that they will not fix it. It's cause I have a lot of miles on it and that I didn't buy it new according to the Chevrolet company but if there are a lot complaints about the same thing then I feel there is a defect in the car not how many miles you put on the car. I believe there should be a recall on the power steering.

- Como, MS, USA

Dec 012012

Malibu 6-cyl

On accel loss of power steering assist, steering very hard to move hit brake to slow down steering recovered. Accelerated vehicle again and was able to reproduce effect mention above. Steering very hard to turn in the morning hours and lose of steering happens.

- Bellerose, NY, USA

Jun 052012

Malibu 4-cyl

When driving and turning to the right..the steering gets stiff and the power steering alarm comes on. Once stopped I can turn the vehicle off and crank it again...the power steering resets. As you can imagine this is what I have to do each and everytime. The dealer finds nothing wrong with it when I take it in..so please advise. The fluid is good and there is no leaks.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dec 032012

Malibu

Hard to turn steering left 4 brief moment. Power steering light display"??"

- Norwalk , OH, USA

Jul 312012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle as the steering wheel began to function normally. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for repairs. The contact was unsure of the exact repairs that were performed on the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 116,000. Updated 12/14/12

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 052010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact started the ignition and noticed when turing the steering wheel into the left direction a loud noise would emit. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the front swing arm suspension was replaced. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken to a different technician who stated the defect was contributed to the steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 092012

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel locked 3 times within a 0.5 mile distance driving no more than 25 mph while my kids were in the car with me.

- Mount Bethel, PA, USA

Apr 032012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering failed and the vehicle became extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact mentioned that the power steering warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering column was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 77,000.

- Glendale , AZ, USA