2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 14 of 28)

Jun 152012

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving and my power steering went out-completely. It was the hardest thing to turn that I have ever driven and I own a 66 mustang that was not equipped with power steering. There is literally no way to steer the car when driving very slow like when you go to pull into the driveway. My father-in law builds/designs production cars for a living and he took my car to a dealership he works with and they told him that the defective part goes out about every 30,000 miles. The cost to replace just the part is around $800 without labor. The actual part that is defective is not sold on its own so you have to buy a whole new steering column since the small part that is defective is riveted to the column. The dealership said they could not do anything for my car. The column had been replaced once before by a dealership and apparently did not fix the problem. Chevy will not cover their bad parts/design and it is one of the most unsafe things that can happen while driving. Its like when Toyota priuses accelerator would get stuck-its just as dangerous. What needs to make a recall happen" it has affected so many people and it is very dangerous. Do we need to wait until the problem causes multiple tragedies to say now its worth the time to fix the problem and do good business" back your product Chevy.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Oct 022007

Malibu 4-cyl

The electric steering assist stopped working. Very hard to control car. When I pulled over and shut car off, and restarted the Malibu, the power steering came back long enough to get it back home. Had it fixed and cost me over $600 at the Chevy dealer. At 56000 miles I was contacted by GM, and they re-imbursed me for the cost. Since then, I am now experiencing a somewhat loud and aggravating clunking or shifting noise when turning either direction or taking off from a start. I am very concerned about the safety of the whole steering mechanism and the stress being put on other components making them fail. I have also replaced the ball joints on the car. My problem is that not only the safety issue, but the resale value is severely reduced. Who in there right mind would buy the car knowing its problems? there needs to be a recall on this vehicle to address those issues.

- Ludington, MI, USA

Jun 252012

Malibu 4-cyl

Was very satisfied with performance of car until this episode. Fortunately, my son & I made it back from California, the day before we came down donner pass. Next day started to take car and verily got going when I couldn't steer, very hard almost didn't make it back home. Power steering message displayed across radio system along with bell sound. I immediately took car to dealers which cost $120. For them to diagnosis. They reported the brain (motor/module code CO807) needed to be replaced for $958. First, then they would check steering column which would involve additional cost. I don't have the money for repair & ended up bringing car home safely after paying for diagnosis. I have the invoice which they gave with their recommendations and my decline of service. Here it sits, I'm too scared to drive and am lucky enough to have access to another vehicle for the time being. Going to trade in and will never buy another Chevy product! this is definitely a hazard and an accident waiting to happen. A "recall" needs to be issued for everyone's safety.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jan 172012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that they were aware of the problem, but that the vehicle could be driven without power steering capabilities. The contact stated that the when the power steering failed, the vehicle would pull strongly to the left and it would become very hard to keep the vehicle straight. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage 102,000.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Jun 012009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel forced itself to drive straight and became unresponsive while making turns. The contact shut the vehicle off and the vehicle performed as normal upon restart. The vehicle was taken to dealer, where the steering column was replaced. The failure recurred and the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and no further assistance was provided. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Mountain Top , PA, USA

Sep 072011

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering does not work when I turn the car on sometimes. It has happened several times. I turn the ignition on, there is a bell, and the electronic message says "power steering." I turn the car off, wait several minutes, re-start it, and then it works again.

- Midland, MI, USA

Apr 012008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized when making left or right turns. The dealer inspected the failure, but was unable to determine the cause. The manufacturer denied any assistance with repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 29,754 and the current mileage was 72,320.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Oct 032011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph and attempting a left turn, the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 89,000.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Mar 232012

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving the steering column on the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu, locks up.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Mar 122012

Malibu 6-cyl

I just purchased my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu about a month ago. It had really low miles for a car that old( (99939 at the time of purchase). I love my car and it has done nothing really to anger me. I got a power steering warning through my radio display. The car drove normal so I paid it little or no attention. The one day I walked to the car and noticed that there was fluid leaking from under the car. Since I only had the car a very short time I took it to the warranty center to be looked at, they put my car on the computer and no defect codes came up. The mechanic asked me what color was the fluid that was leaking, like I would remember that! I told him I didn't know. Put a white piece of paper underneath there and wait a little while. The shop has had my car over a day and can tell me nothing. I am not one of those people that waits on something to happen. Warning lights and defect codes pop up for a reason. The reason I don't know but I will eventually. With all I have read on the internet about the steering all the problems started with defect codes. Is there a serious problem with the steering or with the fault display system?

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

(April 2011) leaving work one afternoon, I began to drive off the campus and as I began to drive the steering wheel began to tighten and as soon as I tried to make a left hand turn, the steering wheel locked up and would not turn. That day I ended up in the ditch and I'm thankful that no one was hurt. Every time I proceed to make a left hand turn and it's hot outside, the steering wheel locks up causing me to grab the wheel as hard as I can and merge to the shoulder to shut the car off and restart so the steering wheel becomes drivable. I called the dealership and they gave an estimated cost of $1500 plus dollars to fix the problem. I did not have the money and just suffered through the problem. Pulling over and restarting the car. When the weather cooled off in September or so the car had no problems and drove fine. Now its March 2012 in Mississippi and extremely hot and humid and now the steering wheel is locking up basically every time I get in the car. I can just be driving and it lock up. I cannot gamble with my life nor my children and I'm fearful that this car is going to cost us our lives if I continue to drive it around. Help!

- Flowood, MS, USA

Mar 122012

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving on my way back home and suddenly I lost steering causing me to get hit by another vehicle, this happend in piedras negras Mexico and my insurance didnt cover the damage, thank god it was just a small hit on the fender but after looking for the issue online I found that the problem is caused by a malfunction in the power steering assitant motor, im not the first person that has that issue, in fact the 2005 Malibu and Pontiac G6 had the same issue and GM already recall that to fix it, I dont see why the are not accepting recalling this model since uses the same component. I hope that no one else get in an accident due to this. Here's a link from a web forum where you can find more users with same issue www.fixya.com/cars/T595753-2006_malibu_maxx_electric_power_steering

- Eagle Pass, TX, USA

Mar 132012

Malibu 4-cyl

While making a right turn the power steering warning chimed three times and "power steering" was displayed on dic. The wheel was had to turn right. Problem went away but warning message still displayed on dic. If I were driving at a higher speed I wouldnt have been able to keep control of my vehicle and could have injured or killed myself or someone else!! this is very dangerous!! I am scared to drive my car that I have owned for 1 week!

- Oreland, PA, USA

Feb 152012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving approximately 45 mph and heard a chime inside of the vehicle when suddenly, there was a loss of power steering. The contact was able to maneuver to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed as normal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who advised the contact that the steering column would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Climax , NC, USA

Aug 102011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph and unexpectedly the steering wheel locked with a complete loss of power steering. There was also an illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The contact was able to maneuver to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed as normal. The failure occurred thirty times and eventually became a permanent malfunction whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated to the contact that the power steering assist module would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Merkel, TX, USA

Feb 232012

Malibu 4-cyl

I am having problems with the electric power steering and from what I have heard is alot of other people have similar problems. My steering is real stiff where it needs two hands to turn the wheel and a good strong grip. I think this is unsafe and should be fixed through GM before this fails on others and cause a accident. Thank you.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Feb 212012

Malibu 4-cyl

I was getting ready to make a left turn onto a side road and the power steering failed. There was no hint of failure prior to the failure. A power steering notice appeared on the dash after the failure, no warning ring tones or sound given. I bought this car used from a Chevrolet dealer when it had appx. 36,000 miles on it. I was never notified by Chevrolet or the dealer about this problem, which seems to be rampant. I researched this issue on the internet and it appears that thousands of people are having this problem with various year Chevrolet models. This problem can cause injury or death. GM should be forced to issue recalls for all models affected at no charge to the consumer. That is the only fair and proper solution to the problem.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jan 302012

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering went out when my wife was on her way home and was attempting to turn down our street. The bulletin says that when this power steering assist fails, the vehicle can still be safely turned, but I take exception to that. My wife is of average strength and if someone had been walking on our street she couldn't have steered clear of them or if a car was parked when she turned there would have been an accident.I had the car in the GM dealership service at 100,000 miles for front end issues and had over $1000 of repairs including new front brakes and rotors. I feel that whenever a vehicle comes in that has a special coverage listed that is as potentially dangerous as this, the system should be replaced. When it failed completely it had 106,000 miles and we are told by GM that we are out of luck for any help. This problem is like russian roulette and even though it resets itself when turned off and back on, it may go out again in a week, a month or an hour and cannot be driven with confidence. I am very disappointed with GM that they won't at least cover some of this repair. This is not the type of problem that goes out gradually as to alert you of an issue, but rather all at once and takes you totally by surprise. I'm sure accidents have occurred because of this defect and is much more serious than GM makes it out to be. They should either fix the problem parts or at least cover a part with proven defects even if it is just past their mileage.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 312012

Malibu 6-cyl

Got in my car this morning to go to work and all of a sudden my power steering doesnt work and power steering comes on up on my display. Been reading online and this seems to be a high number of complaints with this same exact problem and there have been no recalls yet. Of course the $2000 extended warranty I bought isn't going to cover it....

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jan 102012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while exiting a parking lot, the vehicle exhibited an abnormally loud noise as the power steering failed. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the electronic power assist was failing. The contact stated that no warning lights were illuminated, but the clock and radio had to be reset when the failure occurred. The failure mileage was 98,700. Updated 03/28/12 updated 04/09/12

- Ray, OH, USA