2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 22 of 28)

Jun 032010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While traveling at speeds of 35 mph, the contact noticed an abnormal clicking noise. Seconds later, the power steering stopped functioning and the steering wheel became increasingly hard and difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 118,000. Updated 07/29/10 the consumer stated the steering wheel would lock up nd the power steering light illuminated. Updated 08/03/10

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. She stated that on June 1, 2010, while driving, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was turned off and on which corrected the failure. The dealer and the manufacturer were not contacted. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage were 90,000.

- Mt Olive, NC, USA

Apr 262010

Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu that my daughter drives to work 5 days a week. It has approx. 76,000 miles. I went and drive the car on this date and notice the steering fluid display was on the radio display. I asked my daughter how long is was on there, she said approx. A week. I called the GMC dealer and got an appointment on the third of May. They told me that I need a new steering column and a shaft which would be about $1000. They said we could still drive the car that I would actually would lose just the power steering. On May 10, I took the car in and got it fixed. $850 later it is fixed. I have never had to replaced a steering column on any of my other cars, which had over 95,000 miles, the transmission went out on that one. Plus I tried to refill the steering fluid, and who know that my car had an electric power steering. Someone should inform the consumer on this. My main concern was for my daughter who drives this car in rush hour traffic. What if it locked up? it is a thought I would not wish to think of!

- Papillion , NE, USA

May 222010

Malibu

A couple of months ago, I noticed that when I made a turn especially a left turn the steering wheel locked up to the point it was very hard to turn. Now I notice that the steering wheel will get really tight while I am driving, and this happens every other day. I am almost afraid to drive the car but it is my only vehicle at this point, and I am still making payments on it. When the steering wheel becomes hard to turn, I have to put all my weight on the steering wheel to make the turn. No warning such as a powering steeling light comes on. I think if the problem continues it could lead to someone getting severely injured or dying.

- Prairie, MS, USA

May 172010

Malibu 6-cyl

2006 Chevy Malibu electric power steering goes out randomly and locks up while driving causing driver to loose control of the vehicle. I have read numerous complaints about this problem on the internet ranging from year models 2004-2008 and I am wondering why there has not been an investigation into the problem. I also have been told that dealers have no idea what the problem is and how to fix it. I'm also learning that everyone is saying that the problem is caused by different things, but the result is all the same. The electric power steering is faulty no doubt about it!!! is GM going to wait until people die to do something about this problem. This is a very serious one!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

Nov 012009

Steering problem.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Mar 082007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving at approximately 50 mph, a chime sounded inside of the vehicle and the steering wheel locked for a minimum period of fifteen seconds. The vehicle was able to continue in normal operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on three separate occasions for the identical failures with unknown repairs performed. The failures continued after the service repairs were performed on the vehicle. At the time of the complaint, the vehicle was being repaired at an authorized dealer. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 052010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at speeds of 3 mph, the steering wheel locked and the power steering warning light illuminated on the dashboard. The contact shut off the engine and upon restarting, the failure recurred. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure and informed the contact that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The failure has recurred approximately five times since the initial failure. The failure mileage was 69,459 and the current mileage was 69,659.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Apr 262010

Malibu

Electric power steering failure. The power steering will go out without any symptoms other than a message on the radio console.

- Stephenville, TX, USA

Apr 242010

Malibu

While driving my 2006 Chevy Malibu the power steering suddenly went out. I soon noticed that every time the car turned to the right it would lose the power steering function. This causes the steering wheel to lock up and it must be heavily muscled to turn the car. I took it to a GM dealer, and they were forced to replace the steering column as well as the power steering motor, as the Malibu has electric power steering.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Apr 252010

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving about 5 miles from my home and the steering went out on my 2006 Chevy Malibu, as I was attempting to make a turn. I had my grandchild with me I could have caused an accident I turned the car off for 1 0 min. And started it back up. The steering light went off but the car did the same thing twice before getting home unhurt. I need my car fixed. I cannot afford it.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Chevy Malibu and had to replace the vehicle's steering column because the power steering fails each and every time when driving at parking lot speeds and especially when making hard turns to either the right or left. Going around a corner or pulling onto a city street is enough to make it fail. Upon failure, the vehicle information system displays "power steering" and requires me to turn the vehicle off and then back on before function returns to the vehicle. I took the vehicle to the dealer and even though there is a recall on four Chevy/Pontiac models with the same exact issue, I had to pay out of pocket for a new steering column w/steering motor which cost me $700 on a vehicle that is less than a year from the original warranty. I am the original owner of the vehicle and even the service consultant states that this is not something I could have caused. The dealer also stated there is a service bulletin on the power steering for the Malibu for it failing at high speeds but not at low speeds. This is a very dangerous issue as it is unexpected and I could have been seriously injured because the vehicle is not easy to steer as GM likes to claim. I filed a complaint to GM and a district rep called me and stated that I would not be eligible for any re-reimbursement because my vehicle is a Malibu yet it is the correct year for the recall with the same exact issues.

- Madison, WI, USA

Apr 192010

Malibu

While driving the power steering fails. It has happened 3 times while I've had my son in the car. It happens when I am in the middle of a curve. I have almost lost control of the vehicle.

- Point Pleasant, WV, USA

Feb 202010

Malibu

Loss of electric power steering.

- Negaunee, MI, USA

Oct 012009

Malibu

2006 Chevy Malibu failure of rack and pinion, steering failure replaced 3 times still defective.

- Eaton, CO, USA

Apr 072010

Malibu

The power steering in my 2006 Chevy has now failed for the second time! making it almost impossible to steer! this is not a safe vehicle! I almost ran off the road when it failed in a curve! I thought I had a flat tire! the first time it failed my car had 30,000 miles and the second time about 80,000 miles I'd say Chevy Malibu 2006 had a defect in the power steering.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Jan 012007

Malibu 6-cyl

During normal driving, power steering fails. When car is turned off and turned back on, power steering comes back on.

- Willow Spring, NC, USA

Apr 042010

Malibu

Loss of power steering at low speed maneuvers. Occurs randomly. Complete loss on 4/4/10 and several occurrences where some power assist was lost - all at low speeds. Seems to come back after a short period of time and has never happened at speeds above 10mph. Dealership and GM customer service said no recalls - just turn the car off and restart if steering does not return. Not much of a answer to what seems like could be a serious problem. No pattern as to when it will happen - almost had a low speed accident on 4/4/10 when total steering assist was lost. I am worried about this happening at higher speeds and my wife is very concerned about driving the vehicle. GM customer service assigned a ref# to my complaint but does not appear that anything will be done at the dealership or by GM on what I would think is a serious problem.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Apr 032010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering light illuminated followed by a power steering failure. The problem occurred intermittently while the contact was driving long distances. He took the vehicle to an authorized dealership where he was informed that the power steering module was defective. The dealer calibrated the steering wheel position system but after 10 miles, the failure occurred again. The contact feared that he could possibly lose control of the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 56,000. The current mileage was approximately 56,100.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Mar 282010

Malibu

Complete power steering failure, causing loss of control and a near-collision. Driving approx. 30mph, into a left turn, and failure occurred. After restarting vehicle next day, power steering worked, until going about 20mph, turning right. Has not come back on after that. That was 5 days ago.

- Burton, TX, USA