2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 24 of 29)

Dec 292006

Malibu 6-cyl

2006 Chevy Malibu has been loosing power steering sporadically since it was purchased. Usually happens accelerating up ramps with curves in them. Chimes go off and battery light comes on. If you take your foot off the gas pedal, the power steering returns, battery light goes out and chimes stop. We have taken in to have it checked out several times with no results. Dealers cannot find cause, nor do they make any repairs.

- Martville, NY, USA

Sep 152008

Malibu

Power steering failed when trying to turn into a parking spot--locked up for the first time and continuously since. Seems to be the same problem that the Chevy cobalts are having, but my car is a Malibu.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 152008

Malibu

Power steering goes out of my 2006 Chevy Malibu numerous times while driving. Purchased the vehicle April 2008, started in July and had towed and looked at by Chevy dealer in my town. Found nothing, went out on a regular basis in September and had checked again advised by dealer they do not know what it is and would cost $660. To take the steering column apart to see if it's the sensor there. Usually doesn't go out as much in the cooler weather more often when outside temperature is over 60 degrees. Now goes out in the cold weather too.

- Estherville, IA, USA

Dec 202009

Malibu

My steering system is failing and my rack and pinion needs replacing at 65,000 miles. My mechanic says it's not safe to drive in the long term with the clunking sounds I hear and the rack could fail and cause me to crash. GM Chevy Malibu V6 engine.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Mar 032010

Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu that I bought in sacramento ca. Via paul blanco dealer on franklin and florin rd. (they are no longer in business at that site). The car accelerates dangerously when on cruise control. The car began overheating immediately after purchase (oil lube place detected an engine gasket that needs to be replaced because it continues to overheat; unless I keep the heater and or ac going; the steering column had to be re greased and re-adjusted at Firestone a few months ago because all of a sudden it would lock. The A/C compressor immediately went bad after purchasing this car. I had to buy another one which cost a good amount! soon after purchase (used vehicle with approx. 10,300 miles) the brakes went out and had to be replaced! in Jan. 2010, I noticed the seat belt light kept coming on, even after it was locked in (which is very dangerous because I don't know when and if its going to keep me safe when driving); erc. Etc.. I need someone to contact the dealer of Chevy so that owners can go get these things checked out and fixed the right way. I attempted to call the numbers given re: Warranty etc. And nothing was resolved.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 222009

Malibu

The contact has a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact has experienced a loss of power steering. The contact stated that the problem happens randomly. The message box starting flashing and the power steering started going out. The failure mileage was 85000 and the current mileage was 88000.

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

Jan 152009

Malibu

Incident: Failure of power steering on 2006 Chevrolet Malibu 1) a week leading up the event, I returned from vacation to find "check power steering" lit up on my message center, however, power steering was still available. This occurred on a particularly cold morning, after a cold few weeks. The Chevrolet dealership told me nothing was wrong (by phone). I continued driving the vehicle without recurrence of the warning message. 2) on another particularly cold morning, I drove the vehicle to a local gas station, filled up, and drove approximately two car lengths when the power steering failed, the steering wheel became difficult to move, and the "check power steering" message displayed. I applied the breaks, stopping the vehicle. 3) I had read about the failure online, and the fix seemed to be a restart of the electrical system. I turned off the vehicle, and restarted the engine. The power steering was restored, and I have driven it since without incident.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 132009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering light would illuminate on the dashboard and the power steering would fail within minutes. The failure occurred 8 times. When the vehicle was turned off and restarted, the failure seemed to correct itself. He had not taken the vehicle to the dealership to-date. He called the manufacturer and was instructed to take the vehicle to the dealership for a diagnostic test. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 70,000. The failure mileage was approximately 68,500.

- Las Lunas, CA, USA

Jan 022010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The driver stated that his power steering failed whenever he started the vehicle. The driver also stated that his steering wheel began to shake immediately after the vehicle was turned on. When he shifted into drive gear and accelerates, the steering wheel was shaking excessively. The failure mileage was 68,700 and the current mileage was 69,000.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 232010

Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu ls. Power steering keeps coming on. The wheel turns slightly in idle. Well now power steering is lost while deriving making it hard to move at high speeds. Dangerous. After car is turned off the problem seems to go away until minutes later you hear chimes and it locks again.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jan 312010

Malibu 6-cyl

When starting my car it is very hard to turn the wheel until I gain a little speed.

- Reidsville, NC, USA

Dec 062009

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering fails while driving. Wheel turns suddenly to the left and then there is no power steering. I looked online and saw that several people have had the same problem.

- Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

Sep 012009

Malibu

Power steering indicator keeps coming on while driving. Typically happens everytime I get in the car to drive it.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 012009

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu that I have been having problems with the power steering for almost a year now. I was hopeful that the recall that was issued recently includes my car, but it does not...which really disappoints me since I just printed off around 15 pages of similar complaints from other people with the same problems to take to my dealer. The failure on my car started last spring-summer and have had it looked at several times. I was driving when all of a sudden my steering wheel started to feel like it was freezing and then wouldn't allow me to drive straight, it would either go far right or far left. I thought I needed an alignment (which I had done), but that didn't help at all. This terrified me. It happens at least 2-3 times a day all week long. We have replaced the steering column (on our own-recall on 2005 Malibu's won't cover my 2006 even though the rep at GM we talked to confirmed my car came off the line in 2005) and it started doing the same thing the next day. Here is a description of everything my car does. It has always made a clunking noise when I turn the wheel in either direction. The steering wheel will freeze up and becomes really tight making it hard to control. When it's frozen, and I try to drive straight by slightly turning the wheel, it will only turn drastically to the left or the right making my whole car jerk to either side of the road. Also when it's doing this, it make a loud vibration noise and the wheel moves on it own if I'm stopped at a light or in park..even occasionally when the car is turned off. When it's making this loud sound I can also feel the vibration in the brake pad. Power steering will display on the dic screen on the dash. From what I've read, I know hundred of other people are having this problem and don't know what to do. We should not have to keep throwing money into problems that were created even before we bought these cars. Something needs to be done before someone dies.

- Sharpsville, IN, USA

Jun 252008

Malibu 6-cyl

Car was in this condition when we bought. The dealership it was purchased from sent it off to be repaired. The dealership that it was repaired at replaced steering column. When we got the car back it had the same problem. Dealer would not send the car back to be repair until 2 months later when I couldn't turn the steering wheel it completely lock up. The dealer sent it back to the Chevy dealership and the replaced the power steering motor. 2 months later we began to have the same steering problems. I have almost gotten in 3 accidents because of this problem.

- Port Neches , TX, USA

Oct 012009

Steering.

- Houston Tx, TX, USA

Feb 142009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact drove the vehicle at various speeds and in any gear the vehicle would suddenly loose all power steering. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 92000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Mar 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

My girlfriend owns a 2006 Malibu ls and she has been experiencing serious steering issues over the past month. Her power steering goes out while driving without any notice. I thought she was just kidding about it until I finally drove it and while turning a corner the steering went out on me and I nearly was in an accident. After doing some research on the internet I have found that her Malibu is not the only one experiencing this phenomenon, I found more posts about this than I could count. Now I see that GM just issued a recall for two vehicles manufactured at the same time as hers for this exact problem, my question is; why aren't the Malibu' included in this recall when they obviously have the same steering issues as the two recalled vehicles?

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Aug 022008

Malibu

I purchased my Malibu in Dec '06. By June, my power steering light came on, but my mechanic couldn't find the source of the problem. I started noticing trouble turning the wheel at low speeds, but it was only when I turned left. Initially I didn't think it was still power steering, but the problem continued for over a year periodically. Then in Aug '08 on my way home with my newborn in the car....I turned left to pull into my driveway, and lost the power steering. I had to take it to the dealer and the repair cost over $1,000 and the dealer said it could happen again in a year or so. The entire steering column and power steering motor was replaced. After the dealer's 12/12 warranty expired, I started having the same symptoms all over again. So far it hasn't gone out, but the "popping" noise and "loose" steering down the highway, plus the more difficult steering when driving at low speeds is back again. When the original incident happened, I had just turned off a main street. If it had happened just two blocks earlier, I would have been "T-boned" with my daughter in the car.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Jan 282009

Malibu

Steering gear problem in 2006 Chevrolet Malibu lt. Dealer replaced worn steering gear at 25,000 miles and now at 35,000 miles the problem is happening again.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA