2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 25 of 29)

Feb 012009

Malibu

I bought my 2006 Chevy Malibu in Feb 2009. Immediately after we purchased this car from a used car lot, we started having trouble with the power steering. The dealership we purchased it from suggest we take it to local GM dealership to look at it. They advised that they would have to drive it to see what happened. At that time, it would only happen every so often so I could not afford to have them keep my car for any length of time. At first, I chalked it up to the cold temperatures, but as spring and summer passed it still happened. I have now had the car a year and it happens sometimes four or five times before I get out of the driveway. I have the powersteering message come across the display, I have to turn the car off and it will reset. Usually the reset will only work if I am not in a turn position. I can be going 65mph down the interstate and it will click off and lock the steering wheel. Thank god, that I have never had to get out of crunch on the interstate. I took it to another dealership where after $50 for a diagnosis they advised that the power steering motor/module assembly needs to be replaced for the price tag of $850. It seems to me that if there are so many consumers with the exact same problem they would issue a recall before someone gets killed. It is extremely dangerous. It seems to happen more often when turning to the right. I now can't drive anywhere without it happening 5 to 7 times. I usually just leave it till I have to get in a parking spot. I have to put the car in neutral, restart the engine and hope it will reengage. I have contact GM customer service and because I did not have the car serviced everytime at a GM authorized dealer and that it now has 80K on it they will not help at all. Well it was purchased in 2009 with 60 K on it at that time it would have been out of warrant then also. They are not helpful at all and do not take any responsibility for this issue.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Feb 232010

Malibu

Loss of power steering in 2006 Chevy Malibu. Loss of control of steering. Replaced steering column at dealership.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 292009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The vehicle would pull to the left and right excessively which driving approximately 45 mph. The speed also fluctuated when the failure occurred. General Motors told the contact that they would send him a $1000 voucher towards the purchase of another vehicle when he asked to be reimbursed for the repair. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. The current mileage was approximately 57,852.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

My 2006 Chevy Malibu is having major issues. Power steering is intermittently going out.. without warning. Steering completely locks up for no reason when driving. Very unsafe! also.. in 2008 the steering column had to be replaced. Also.. very unsafe. I am aware that these issues have become quite common and am very upset the Chevy has not acknowledged and provided a recall.

- Vale, SD, USA

Jan 212007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that she heard a popping sound when she turned the steering wheel and later observed that the steering shaft was broken. She also noticed that the steering wheel became very loose with no resistance while making a left or right turn. The vehicle was also uncontrollable during rainy and inclement weather conditions. The dealer replaced the shaft 4 times and the failure was still persistent. She called the manufacturer and was told that the warranty did not include the failed the components and that she would be responsible for paying the repair cost. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed the current mileage was approximately 83,000. The failure mileage was approximately 14,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 152010

Malibu

Steering wheel started shaking at slow speeds. This went on for a couple of days then at highway speed the power steering went out. A chime went off and the radio displayed power steering malfunction. The vehicle was very hard to control good thing it was a straight road. After pulling over and turning car off the steering came back after re-starting. Dealership said they have herd of this before and the fix may be replacing the steering column.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Feb 102010

Malibu

I was about to turn into a parking spot and suddenly I could not hardly turn the steering wheel. My message board read "powering steering". it started about 1 week ago and has done it several times since. I have even gotten into my car and directly after starting it the same message pops up, and I can not turn the wheel. My steering wheel also started jerking while I am driving down the road. I started research on this issue and found that many others have this problem! hopefully this will not cost an outrageous amount of money to fix. I would really appreciate some research into this issue. Most of the issues came from 2004 models. It is really upsetting to know that this has been an issue for a long time. I just hope this gets fixed before someone does get hurt. Thank you for your time.

- Greeneville, TN, USA

Feb 112010

Malibu

Loss of power steering. Happens once a month. No parts repaired yet.

- Nipomo, CA, USA

Oct 282009

Malibu

Chevrolet Malibu 2006 lt 3.5 V6 steering when driving at hghway speeds locks up. Creates a feeling like emergency braking with ABS. Has happened on several occasions while turning in town and while traveling on the highway. Lakeside dealership in rockwall, tx when I contacted them said there was not a fix GM was aware of problems with the electronic steering in the Malibu, implala and full size trucks. Crashed on a county road because the steering would not allow me to turn. The car crashed into a washout area causing more than $5000 in damage.

- Royse City, TX, USA

Sep 012009

Malibu

While driving at 60mph on the freeway car steering jerked and then locked up. There was no power steering at all and no where to pull over. It has since happened about 20 times at various speeds.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 252010

Malibu

I have a 2006 Malibu lt that lost the power steering on a street, on able to maneuver the car I had some bystanders help me push the car to a parking lot. I have researched and seen that there are many Malibu's with this problem some with accidents.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 312010

Malibu

2006 Chevy Malibu lt electrical power steering failure: On 1/31/2010, my family and I were on our way to church; while driving on interstate 20 (I20) the 2006 Chevy Malibu electrical power steering went out. It was only because of the low traffic volume at that time there was no accident to be reported. I was unable to make it to church but I was able to get the vehicle back to my home. I had a family member pick up my wife that is pregnant along with my two daughters, and follow me back to the house. Because the dealership was closed I searched online to find out if this a common problem with the Chevy Malibu. Within my research I have found out this problem is a common problem among many owners who vehicle falls between the year of 2004 and 2006. Although my car has over 100,000 miles I have found this problem has accrued as early as 52,000 miles. I thank you for taking the time out to investigate my complaint, and pray that the best decision is made as it relates to lives of others. Again I thank you for this service and opportunity to express my concerns.

- Decatur , GA, USA

Jan 152010

Malibu

Power steering assist fails when turning the steering wheel and accelerating. Usually, this happens after the vehicle has been parked for a couple of days, before the engine has had a chance to warm up. This has happened at least six times in the last two months. Most recently on January 15, 2010.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 102009

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevy Malibu. The steering wheel failed while driving between 15 and 55 mph on two occasions. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and back on before the steering system reset itself and began driving normally. The input torque sensor was replaced by the dealer. The contact is concerned about the safety risk.. the failure mileage was 48000. The current mileage was 51000. Updated 02/17/10.

- Dickinson, ND, USA

Nov 082008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph the power steering failed without warning. Consequently the driver crashed into a road barrier. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The power steering motor was replaced. An identical failure occurred on a separate occasion. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Beacon Falls , CT, USA

Dec 202009

Malibu

Power steering goes out without warning. Happens intermittently and shop cannot determine what causes it.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 302009

Malibu

The power steering in my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The sensor comes on and the steering wheel is very difficult to move. So far it has occurred sporadically beginning back about Sept 30, that sat. I took it to the dealership to see if they could look at what was happening, I was told they could do nothing without that sensor on. It has happened several times since then but as the following states I have kind of figured out how to wait and then keep on going. So I finally figured out if I started the car and the sensor appeared, I would turn off the car-wait about 5min, then restart the car & no sensor appearance. It happened once more while I was driving to san antonio, Friday night, Oct 30 - I had been on the road about an hour or so and the sensor just popped on (it might have been B/C I had the cd player, the A/C, and the cruise control on) anyway thank goodness there were no major turns so I drove the car with it on for about 1more hr before pulling into a rest stop. Then it reset itself again. Now these last 3 mornings (maybe because it is cold) I have started the car and the warning power steering appears, I turn off the car, wait the 5min and restart the car, it doesn't appear but after driving about 2-3min, it will appear and I am usually in am traffic and need to turn at 2 lights & thank goodness the turn space is great or I would not be able to proceed. I get to work and have to park across from where I normally do because I am unable to turn the wheel into my space. Since I was unable to take it to a dealership as they are unable to charge me the $100 diagnosis fee w/O the sensor being on. I called Chevrolet. Com and they have connected me with jupiter Chevrolet and now I have an appointment to show up at the dealership in the morning and hopefully the sensor will turn on as I get to the dealership so I will not have the problem of turning from traffic into the curved driveway (which also has about 4 turns before even arriving. Wish me luck!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 032009

Malibu

I was driving to work, made a right turn and my power steering just went out. There was no where to pull over on side of the road, I struggled to steer the car into a parking lot which was almost impossible. I was almost hit from behind twice too many times because of this. The dealership has diagnosed this as the power steering system. This exact incident is starting to happen more frequently. This problem happened a year ago but then it drove just fine afterwards and didn't happen again until now and now it's almost every turn. 6 months after I bought the car, I heard a clicking noise but when taken to a shop, I was told there was no noise but after hearing it again, the dealership diagnosed the power steering problem.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Oct 302009

Malibu

I was driving on the freeway in my 2006 Malibu lt, when the steering wheel locked up, the steering got really tight and I was unable to control the car on the freeway, after a few seconds the steering went back to normal, and a few seconds later it locked up again. A power steering warning came up on the dash. I took it to a local Chevy dealership. They ran diagnostics and said that the power steering motor had gone bad. This is an extreme safety hazard, that did not result from neglect on my part as the owner. Had I not been an experienced driver, or if the roads were wet or slippery, the power steering malfunction could have had bad outcome. Upon doing research on the internet, this seems to be a problem for the Malibu, across many model years.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Oct 282009

Malibu

Under normal driving conditions the steering become difficult when turning to the right. Occasionally you can feel "pulsing" while turning. Happens at all speeds. Corrects itself when the vehicle is shut off. Problem began within the last month as a slight pressure whiling turning. Last 2 days the steering has become very difficult. Yesterday problems developed while turning right onto the interstate. No warning lights or alarms. Contacted the dealership and they have no knowledge this issue. Just rolled 57,000 miles.

- Elk Run Heights, IA, USA