2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 25 of 28)

Sep 012009

Malibu

While driving at 60mph on the freeway car steering jerked and then locked up. There was no power steering at all and no where to pull over. It has since happened about 20 times at various speeds.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jan 252010

Malibu

I have a 2006 Malibu lt that lost the power steering on a street, on able to maneuver the car I had some bystanders help me push the car to a parking lot. I have researched and seen that there are many Malibu's with this problem some with accidents.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 312010

Malibu

2006 Chevy Malibu lt electrical power steering failure: On 1/31/2010, my family and I were on our way to church; while driving on interstate 20 (I20) the 2006 Chevy Malibu electrical power steering went out. It was only because of the low traffic volume at that time there was no accident to be reported. I was unable to make it to church but I was able to get the vehicle back to my home. I had a family member pick up my wife that is pregnant along with my two daughters, and follow me back to the house. Because the dealership was closed I searched online to find out if this a common problem with the Chevy Malibu. Within my research I have found out this problem is a common problem among many owners who vehicle falls between the year of 2004 and 2006. Although my car has over 100,000 miles I have found this problem has accrued as early as 52,000 miles. I thank you for taking the time out to investigate my complaint, and pray that the best decision is made as it relates to lives of others. Again I thank you for this service and opportunity to express my concerns.

- Decatur , GA, USA

Jan 152010

Malibu

Power steering assist fails when turning the steering wheel and accelerating. Usually, this happens after the vehicle has been parked for a couple of days, before the engine has had a chance to warm up. This has happened at least six times in the last two months. Most recently on January 15, 2010.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 102009

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevy Malibu. The steering wheel failed while driving between 15 and 55 mph on two occasions. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and back on before the steering system reset itself and began driving normally. The input torque sensor was replaced by the dealer. The contact is concerned about the safety risk.. the failure mileage was 48000. The current mileage was 51000. Updated 02/17/10.

- Dickinson, ND, USA

Nov 082008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph the power steering failed without warning. Consequently the driver crashed into a road barrier. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The power steering motor was replaced. An identical failure occurred on a separate occasion. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Beacon Falls , CT, USA

Dec 202009

Malibu

Power steering goes out without warning. Happens intermittently and shop cannot determine what causes it.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 302009

Malibu

The power steering in my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The sensor comes on and the steering wheel is very difficult to move. So far it has occurred sporadically beginning back about Sept 30, that sat. I took it to the dealership to see if they could look at what was happening, I was told they could do nothing without that sensor on. It has happened several times since then but as the following states I have kind of figured out how to wait and then keep on going. So I finally figured out if I started the car and the sensor appeared, I would turn off the car-wait about 5min, then restart the car & no sensor appearance. It happened once more while I was driving to san antonio, Friday night, Oct 30 - I had been on the road about an hour or so and the sensor just popped on (it might have been B/C I had the cd player, the A/C, and the cruise control on) anyway thank goodness there were no major turns so I drove the car with it on for about 1more hr before pulling into a rest stop. Then it reset itself again. Now these last 3 mornings (maybe because it is cold) I have started the car and the warning power steering appears, I turn off the car, wait the 5min and restart the car, it doesn't appear but after driving about 2-3min, it will appear and I am usually in am traffic and need to turn at 2 lights & thank goodness the turn space is great or I would not be able to proceed. I get to work and have to park across from where I normally do because I am unable to turn the wheel into my space. Since I was unable to take it to a dealership as they are unable to charge me the $100 diagnosis fee w/O the sensor being on. I called Chevrolet. Com and they have connected me with jupiter Chevrolet and now I have an appointment to show up at the dealership in the morning and hopefully the sensor will turn on as I get to the dealership so I will not have the problem of turning from traffic into the curved driveway (which also has about 4 turns before even arriving. Wish me luck!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 032009

Malibu

I was driving to work, made a right turn and my power steering just went out. There was no where to pull over on side of the road, I struggled to steer the car into a parking lot which was almost impossible. I was almost hit from behind twice too many times because of this. The dealership has diagnosed this as the power steering system. This exact incident is starting to happen more frequently. This problem happened a year ago but then it drove just fine afterwards and didn't happen again until now and now it's almost every turn. 6 months after I bought the car, I heard a clicking noise but when taken to a shop, I was told there was no noise but after hearing it again, the dealership diagnosed the power steering problem.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Oct 302009

Malibu

I was driving on the freeway in my 2006 Malibu lt, when the steering wheel locked up, the steering got really tight and I was unable to control the car on the freeway, after a few seconds the steering went back to normal, and a few seconds later it locked up again. A power steering warning came up on the dash. I took it to a local Chevy dealership. They ran diagnostics and said that the power steering motor had gone bad. This is an extreme safety hazard, that did not result from neglect on my part as the owner. Had I not been an experienced driver, or if the roads were wet or slippery, the power steering malfunction could have had bad outcome. Upon doing research on the internet, this seems to be a problem for the Malibu, across many model years.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Oct 282009

Malibu

Under normal driving conditions the steering become difficult when turning to the right. Occasionally you can feel "pulsing" while turning. Happens at all speeds. Corrects itself when the vehicle is shut off. Problem began within the last month as a slight pressure whiling turning. Last 2 days the steering has become very difficult. Yesterday problems developed while turning right onto the interstate. No warning lights or alarms. Contacted the dealership and they have no knowledge this issue. Just rolled 57,000 miles.

- Elk Run Heights, IA, USA

Oct 272009

Malibu

Bought a new Chevy Malibu in July of 2006--we have fought tires on it since day 1 and no one would stand behind them--the rims won't seal around the tires. We have replaced the tires and no luck. We have had to "air them up" every other day since we purchased it. Yesterday while driving--my power steering just decided to quit working. If I shut the car off and wait 15 minutes--it will be fine again--until the car gets warm at which point it locks up again. This is a very dangerous issue as you never know when it will happen. I am told there is no recall and the dealership isn't aware of any issues with it. When I went online for help--there are many people having the same issue.

- Elk Run Heights, IA, USA

Oct 262009

Malibu

1. intermittent power steering alert on driver information center 2. power steering alert comes on and then the power steering turns off while driving. (intermittent). 3. was brought to repair place, and it is currently being repaired.

- Los Osos, CA, USA

Oct 072009

Malibu

2006 Malibu power steering trouble light came, dealer diagnosed as sensor in steering column. Was told steering could go out if sensor fails. Found out there are numerous Malibu involved.

- Hamilton, MS, USA

Sep 012009

Malibu

Power steering failure in a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu when making a left turn at low speed. Same problem was recalled in 2004 Malibu's but no recall on 2006. When power steering goes out, car has to be manually turned until you can turn car off and restart so power steering will be activated again. Very dangerous when you are in traffic and have to stop and start car again.

- Chester, VA, USA

Oct 132009

Malibu

Power steering cut out at random times.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Oct 252006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph on normal road conditions, the steering wheel locked without warning. The driver intermittently experienced extreme difficulty while steering. The vehicle was steered in one direction and suddenly, within a few seconds there was a clicking noise; followed by the steering wheel system locking. The contact was able to resume normal operation. The authorized dealer was notified of the malfunction. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was unavailable. The current mileage was 97,912.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Sep 192009

Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu that has a system error "low steering fluid". the kicker is the car doesn't take fluid. I call the dealer and they state there is a discussion of recall for the electronic steering but nothing yet. Reading on line this appears to potentially be a major safety problem. Is this car at risk to drive if I can't afford to fix this problem right now?

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 262007

Malibu

GM/Chevrolet/Malibu 2006 1st occurrence about a month ago. Three times - several hundred miles apart. Power steering fails when car in motion - manual steering requires significant effort to get car to side of road. Turning the ignition off then restarting the car reset the power steering. No indication on instrument panel before or after. Immediately called dealer. They said there might be an overvoltage problem and would order the part. Have heard nothing more. (springhill motors - springhill, la) today the power steering failed three times in less than a mile. Finally muscled the car home without power assisted steering. I was able to reset the power steering while in park. While still in park, turning the wheel the slightest bit to the left causes power steering to fail. If wheel turned right immediately after restart, the steering does not fail - but turning it back to the left brings immediate failure. If this has not become an issue and a recall, it certainly needs to become one. I doubt I would have been able to react in time had I been on at highway speed in a curve. The initial feeling is not that steering has become difficult, rather that steering has become locked and impossible.

- Natchitoches, LA, USA

Sep 212009

Malibu

Today 21 September 2009, the electronic assist power steering on our 2006 Chevrolet Malibu stopped functioning, resulting in the vehicle aggressively pulling to the left. The result of this failure at highway speed makes this vehicle unsafe for passengers and for other vehicles adjacent to the car. Attempts to correct this failure by resetting the ECU have failed, and the vehicle continues to pull aggressively to the left even while stationary.

- Palmdale, CA, USA