2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 28)

May 072015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 10 to 15 mph, the steering wheel seized momentarily when making a left turn. The contact could not control the steering wheel. The failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Aug 272015

Malibu

My car makes creaking noises when turning right. I had two opinions and both said intermediate drive shaft. I had it fixed but if its a recall can I get reimburst to pay down my credit card?

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving the vehicle and making a right turn, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the power steering assist needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but, immediately after retrieving the vehicle, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who indicated that the power steering motor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 222013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds making either a left or right turn, a clicking noise emitted from the steering wheel and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred on several occasions and appeared to occur in wet weather. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering shaft was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,521.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Aug 072015

Malibu

Vehicle steering does not fully respond when entering turns, curves in the road at times. This is a intermittent problem, but more times than not. Chevrolet dealer diagnosis is faulty power assist motor, module steering gear and intermediate shaft. My inquires on why these major components had failed have gone unanswered. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Do have all documentation. Sign, dennis wickizer

- Benton, PA, USA

May 042015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn right or left. All of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 228,178.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu 6-cyl

When I accelerate quickly to enter traffic, merge with traffic or pass a car (going 25 - 50 mph), I hear ding, ding, ding warming bell and the steering wheel pulls to the right and momentarily becomes locked. I grab it with both hands and let off the gas and it recovers. It is totally unmanageable for those moments and very alarming. I have had my car in four different times since Nov, 2011 for power steering problems/recalls. This current problem is a safety factor!!!! updated 09/15/15.....updated 10/01/15 the consumer stated the steering column and column sensor were replaced twice. Updated 10/13/15.

- Albany, OR, USA

Jul 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, the steering wheel emitted a grinding noise while turning. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering wheel intermediate steering shaft and the power steering gear binding were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000.

- Newton , NJ, USA

Jul 032015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 55 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000. Updated 09/10/15

- Colorado Spring, CO, USA

Mar 272015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While making a turn, the power steering malfunctioned without warning. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,630. Updated 09/02/15

- Windham, NH, USA

Feb 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred numerous times. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering); however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was 151,789.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Sep 252006

Malibu

Ever since I purchased my Malibu with around 400 miles, I have had a continuous knock, which I can hear at lower speeds turning the wheel in either direction whether that be in drive or reverse. To me it sounds like it is coming from my steering column. From what I remember, I believe I was told it was some type of joint which knocks from friction and that it would just need lubrication in time. Over the years the knocking has continued and seems to be getting a little louder, with minor shaking of the steering column when driving on the freeway or accelerating to higher speeds. I am not sure if this might be a possible recall for this vehicle, but I did see a steering recall for this year, make and model. Is this a recalled item I have not received word of? I have had three recalls brought to my attention in the past six months which I have had taken care of, I was given no further word of there being any further issues. This problem has been with this vehicle from the beginning so I am now curious to know if these parts have been recalled.

- Orcutt, CA, USA

Mar 202015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering failed. The contact had the faulty power steering module assembly replaced. The vehicle was repaired on March 20, 2014. The VIN and failure mileage were unavailable..... updated 08/30/15 updated 12/10/15

- Panama City, FL, USA

May 012012

Malibu

When turning and accelerating, the control center dings and shows loss of power steering, if you let up on the throttle power steering comes back, it needs the steering control module replaced and GM says it is not covered on this model.

- Dayton, MN, USA

Apr 262015

Malibu 4-cyl

Lost power steering as I was making a left turn. The car would not turn and the brake was not slowing down the car. Ended up going up the sidewalk and crashing into a wall causing the airbags to deploy and spraining my wrist down to my elbow along with minor back pains. Now the car is considered a total loss.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 012015

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving down the road my power steering light came on and now my wheel kicks all over when I try to drive! I took it to a GM dealer and they said that it's the power steering motor and that it has a dead spot they said they have had a lot of this going on in my make and model! this should be a recall! also my car is starting to decide when is should start. Sometimes it takes a few tries and I have to pray it starts and after that in park it will idle high the car isn't that old and doesn't have high mileage it shouldn't be doing this!

- Alma, MI, USA

Mar 152013

Malibu 6-cyl

As I was making a turn on a major street my power steering went out; I have contacted GM numerous times to this fixed, without me have to come out of my pocket over $1,000 to get this fixed. In 2014 there was a recall done and when I went to the dealership to get this fixed they are stating that it is the power assist (motor) that is out and not part of the recall. I have been back in contact with GM but nothing has been done to resolve this. It is very difficult to drive the car without any power steering and this is a hazard to other drivers as well as me. GM should not be allowed to continue manufacturing and selling faulty vehicles. This is my last time reaching out to try to get a resolution, if nothing can be done to fix my car. I will have to pursue legal and constitutional rights as a consumer against GM.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 222015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle lost power and the steering wheel became tight. The contact had to apply force to turn the steering wheel. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and restarted it in order to reset the computer. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering), but the failure recurred weeks later. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer who diagnosed that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Apr 072015

• 1,500,000 miles
I was on 44 just turned on 41 no cars on left or right none behind proceeding across traffic light other party was making a right turn I was stopping brakes ankle was fractured and we had a head on colision.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Sep 122014

Malibu

I do not recall exact accident date as I received nothing from insurance. Car was placed in park and turned off. Car had been parked and sitting for 30 minutes. Car came out of park and rolled into another parked car causing damage to that vehicle and to my vehicle.I do not think it went into park to start with. My insurance covered repair of the other vehicle and I repaired my own vehicle. My insurance told me that they would contact Chevrolet concerning accident. Later I noticed my insurance had listed this as a moving violation and raised my insurance. I have contacted my insurance concerning this as this was not a moving violation. I was not driving nor was I in the car and this seemed to involved a recall. I will report my insurance to the state insurance commission to look into this matter has I should not be punished for this problem. I had an excellent driving records for the past 30 years. I had taken car to dealer concerning recalls but was told parts not available. I took car on one occasion and part was ordered for recall. I took car back and was told my part given to some one else. I finally received final repair on 04/08/2015. I made several trips to have car looked at and parts to be ordered then had to take it back for repairs. I also had lose of steering at times for brief periods. I became fearful of driving this car after so many problems and was nervous and anxious when in the car. Too many recalls on this vehicle after I had it for a long time. Some one could have been hurt. Why so longer to notify me of so many recalls and why so long for repairs. If recall is done, parts should be available at dealer. I should not have to take it to be looked at, then wait for a part, then have to take it back it. I will consider legal action.

- Gate City, VA, USA