2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 28)

Dec 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the power steering seized. The contact stated that the vehicle shifted from the drive position to the neutral position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Fredericksburg, MD, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The contact also stated that the engine stalled. The transmission failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 169,000.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Dec 292014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 250,000.

- Winston Sale,, NC, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Spring City, TN, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

We have received a recall approval for a defect in the transmission. But the problem we are having and reported to our Chevy dealer has to do with the power steering not working for periods of time when we start the car as well as driving it. Its been that way for awhile now as the dealer said it wasn't under recall. I believe it is. I no longer drive the car because its too hard getting out of a parking spot. My husband "deals" with it. Last time I drove the car the steering kicked in again going around a turn and I almost crossed the lane. Also, at that time my granddaughter had to help me turn the wheel to get out of a parking lot. Trying to do so actually strains muscles in my shoulder. Shouldn't this problem be under a recall" and if not, why not" we would like to continue purchasing Chevy and we're hoping for customer satisfaction pertaining to this matter. Thank you very much.

- Diamond Point, NY, USA

Dec 172014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel shook and was difficult to maneuver. Also, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The failure mileage was 35,000. Updated 02/18/15

- Gasport, NY, USA

Nov 102010

Malibu 4-cyl

The steering completely locked up multiple times while commuting to work on I-95, South, in Maine. One time in particular, noted above, in which it was absolutely frightening. The entire dash would light up and all gauges would drop, the power steering would completely lock, and you would have to slowly make your way to the side of road. There were always steering, shifting, locking, braking, concerns with this car. We were constantly bringing it in to be looked at for transmission and steering issues. After multiple recalls, I thought it best to state that this car is truly unsafe. At this point we have had the car for so long, it is more of just a reassurance that someone is seriously looking into the manufacturing of these vehicles. We cant seem to get much luck with repairs, and even issues that are completely related to these recalls, we are still paying for out of pocket. We no longer drive it on the highway, if avoidable, but we do still have to use it as a commuting vehicle to work on other roads daily. We would love to see the entire vehicle recalled, as it is truly concerning that the company finds these issues to be minor repairs.

- Springvale, ME, USA

Oct 152014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Bronson, MI, USA

Dec 112014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized, causing the contact to crash the vehicle into an embankment. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the part was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 01/23/15 updated 6/9/2015

- Jewett, OH, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and there was an abnormal clicking noise heard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number: 14E044000 (steering). The contact stated that the recall remedy failed to repair the vehicle due to the steering wheel being difficult to maneuver. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V224000 (power train) but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 242014

Malibu 6-cyl

While backing from driveway I lost power steering and the vehicles dic was showing power steering. I was unable to move steering wheel even using both hands. I pushed the onstar button for a diagnostic test but they were unable to determine why I lost power steering. After turning off vehicle the power steering reset and I was able to then drive the vehicle. Problem has become intermittent. Have also lost control of power steering while accelerating onto interstate I-24 from on ramp, steering wheel would not turn left then there was a clicking sound for about 10 -15 seconds then I was able to steer vehicle. Incident was reported to GM and was told that my VIN number did not come back as a recall. Was further advised by GM to file a report with the highway safety board.

- La Vergne, TN, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. After starting the engine, the warning chime activated along with a power steering message display. The steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle operated normally after it was turned off and restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Nov 302014

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving my vehicle down interstate 95 heading towards Virginia beach to return to college and the steering wheel to my Chevy Malibu year 2006 just locked up and became hard to control the shaking of the steering wheel. Had steering column replaced at dealer on Sept 9, 2014 and now this issue of sudden loss of steering ability. The dealer received $1600 from me for steering column repair and I should not have to pay for this issue again especially when so many other Malibu's has had the same problem. How is GM excluding certain 2006 Chevy Malibu's from recall notice of sudden steering failure!!!!!

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized and extreme force was required in order to maneuver the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the column and intermediate shift needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. Djr

- Belle Vernon, PA, USA

Nov 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

Started the vehicle, steering wheel very hard to turn. This is the 4th time this has happened. Once I exceed about 10 mph it frees up and am able to drive normally. Contacted Chevrolet to see about a recall I found on line. They said my car has no recall because my parts were made at a different plant. I am thinking what"?" if I am having the same problem as other cars recalled with the same make and model but because my parts are made from a different plant so I am not eligible for the recall. This is wrong. Unbelievable.

- North Las Vegasq, NV, USA

Nov 112014

Malibu 6-cyl

As I originally reported, my vehicle steering was malfunctioning, it would jerk back and forth all by itself my vehicle was then subject to recall service for power steering assist, this work was completed now as of Nov 11th, the problem has returned, the power steering cuts in and out what do I do now?

- Indian River, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Malibu 6-cyl

While backing out of a parking space, a warning popped up on the driver information center display that the power steering was lost on my 2006 Chevy Malibu lt V6. This warning was also accompanied by 3 chimes and a total loss of the power steering and the electric power assist system. I attempted to reach out to General Motors about this problem and was told that there is a recall for this issue, however, my vehicle is not part of this recall based on the VIN number. I am desperate to have the NHTSA investigate why General Motors has not included every model of the Chevy Malibu in this power steering recall. It is obvious that the model years they have not included are having this problem and it would be devastating for another life to be lost to a defect that they could fix with common decency and sense. I have included a link to the GM website that lists this recall for your reference. media.GM.com/media/us/en/GM/news.detail.html/content/pages/news/us/en/2014/Mar/0331-power-steering.html.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steer warning light illuminated as a chime sounded. The contact also stated that the steering wheel seized and required excessive force in order to control the vehicle. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,500.

- Holley, NY, USA

Oct 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering seized without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14E0044000 (steering). However, the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 173,891.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Dec 302013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving and was attempting to make a left hand turn in rush hour traffic when I had no power steering in the middle of the turn. Also when I turned right into a parking space at the mall the steering went out when I was half way into the parking spot. Also I was driving at approx. 25 mph was making a left hand turn when steering went out in a snow storm and I slid into the curb. I was denied by the local Chevrolet dealer the power assist repair because they said my VIN did not fall within the block of numbers that had the bad steering column assemblies. I had to pay for the repair....the recall came out and the local dealer said no reimbursement because my VIN does not fall within the block of numbers that received the bad assembly. I think that block of numbers none sense is pitiful.

- Palatine, IL, USA