2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 29)

May 162007

Malibu 6-cyl

Turning right into side street loss of power steering. Turned car off then started again. The car was fine. Every year it happens more. The other day I pulled into the side street and the power steering went off and I went onto the side walk. Did not hit any thing. Now it happens about every week only when I turn right.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jan 022012

Malibu

Power steering often stops working at low speed.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized causing the vehicle difficult to maneuver. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated that parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure and current mileage was 97,000.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 062013

Malibu 4-cyl

There is a clicking or clunking type sound when turning. Not with every turn but it is consistent.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Aug 072013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 70 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician stated that the power steering pump and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Mar 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

Hears a clicking noise from car then it will loose steering and shut off, no acceleration, steering wheel locks up, no lights. All turns off, has happen about 8 times. Next time, put foot on brake it jumps, all shuts off, it some times take 3 or 4 times for the car to start back up. Chevrolet shop has replaced parts, still can not find out why it shut off. If this has happen to others that has a Malibu, please help, with suggestion on what the Chevy house can do to help me out. Thanks

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering goes out when accelerating. This started approximately 6 months ago and is becoming more and more frequent. Whenever the car reaches 2500 - 3000 RPM's, the power steering stops working.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu 5-cyl

My vehicle is on a recall with GMC and other things are malfunctioning but GMC are only replacing one issue. Chevrolet says they don't know when the parts are going to be available to fix the steering issue but my car has another issue in which the turn signal has a short in it and it doesn't work properly.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving down I 40 when all lights on the dashboard lit up the bell started chiming and the power steering message came across the screen. It also happened when my teenager was driving he came home and told me he almost had an accident he pulled out of the shopping center and the dash lit up the bell started chiming and he said it took all the strength he had to turn the wheel to get into the correct lane. I took the car to hendricks auto mall in July 2013 but they said that there is no recall on my VIN, so we have been driving it just the way it is praying that we don't have a serious accident.

- Durham, NC, USA

May 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 121,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 172014

Malibu

The car started to shake violently and sounded like front tires were falling off or very wobbly. Had to pull off freeway turned car off then restarted and problem stopped. This has occurred 5 times now and last time vibration was so bad it broke off both front hubcaps. The service tech at local dealer said it was not due to recall on power steering recall ye we talked to certified Chevy mechanic at a different dealer and he said it was definately the issue. Called GM customer service waiting for dealership manager to call back.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu 4-cyl

I bought this 2006 Malibu ls in December and started experiencing the power steering arbitrarily going out as we were driving down the road. It has occurred 5 times now. There is a recall for this model make and year car for this exact problem but the VIN is not in the database so the dealer will not work on it. I called the Chevrolet 1800 number and they confirmed it was a recall and it was based on part numbers and the dealer could look and see if the parts were covered but the dealer want touch it until the VIN is listed. The last incident was on the interstate and my daughter lost power steering and while trying to get the car to the side of the interstate was barely missed by an 18 wheeler which caused another car to get run off into the median when he swerved to miss my daughter.

- Florence, MS, USA

May 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, a chime sounded as the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. Additionally, the transmission would surge when the contact would start the vehicle. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 10/22/2014 the consumer was informed the entire steering assembly needed to be replaced. Updated 02/03/15

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 232014

Malibu 6-cyl

Torque centre assembly is being recalled. GM has said not to use the car. It is used for driver education and private driving lessons. The part in question won't be available for 4-6 weeks maybe. What do we do with our car in the meantime? we're paying to keep the car on the road and a new replacement would have to be equipped with a duel braking system, which the dealer is not willing to do.

- Tarrytown, NY, USA

May 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became very hard to maneuver. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake lights were constantly failing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who advised him that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 58,000.

- Bellerose Manor, NY, USA

May 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was traveling on a smooth, straight road with a gentle turn. The warning bell chimed and a message was displayed that noted power steering. I also heard clicking sounds coming from under the dash. At the same time the power steering failed and the car seemed to pull to the left and the car was impossible to steer. The car was pulled into oncoming traffic, but after a few seconds the power steering returned to the car and I was able to gain control. This happened again on the return trip home when I was pulling out from a dead stop. I contacted the dealer and according to them, my car is not included in the most current round of recalls from GM regarding power steering. I was informed that a replacement steering column would cost around 1,000.

- Lewisberry, PA, USA

Jan 202012

Malibu 8-cyl

On May 20, 2014 I filed a complaint regarding the electronic power steering, the fuel level indicator and the clunk noise in the steering system on my car. I contacted General Motors by E mail and they gave me a telephone number to call. Today, May 27, 2014 I called General Motors regarding their recall for the power steering problem. They informed me that my car was not included in the recall. They gave me the telephone number of a dealer in puerto rico where I have to take the car for a diagnostic. GM will not cover the cost of the repairs. Why do we have to pay for the bad job the car manufacturers do when they make their cars? there must be a way in which consumers get compensated by these companies for the expenses they impose on us with their defective vehicles. For me this may be the last Chevrolet I will buy.

- San German, PR, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was a sudden loss of power steering as the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving my car making a left turn when the power steering went out. I was able to make the turn (luckily no other cars were approaching). The vehicle was very difficult to turn. The power steering light came on the display and a chiming sound.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Dec 162013

Malibu

The first is the steering sounds like front end is going to fall apart when driving and when I turn corners. The second is the fuel the car constantly shuts off for no reason. And the third is the air conditoner blows from cold to hot.

- Lafayette, LA, USA