2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 28)

May 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 121,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 172014

Malibu

The car started to shake violently and sounded like front tires were falling off or very wobbly. Had to pull off freeway turned car off then restarted and problem stopped. This has occurred 5 times now and last time vibration was so bad it broke off both front hubcaps. The service tech at local dealer said it was not due to recall on power steering recall ye we talked to certified Chevy mechanic at a different dealer and he said it was definately the issue. Called GM customer service waiting for dealership manager to call back.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu 4-cyl

I bought this 2006 Malibu ls in December and started experiencing the power steering arbitrarily going out as we were driving down the road. It has occurred 5 times now. There is a recall for this model make and year car for this exact problem but the VIN is not in the database so the dealer will not work on it. I called the Chevrolet 1800 number and they confirmed it was a recall and it was based on part numbers and the dealer could look and see if the parts were covered but the dealer want touch it until the VIN is listed. The last incident was on the interstate and my daughter lost power steering and while trying to get the car to the side of the interstate was barely missed by an 18 wheeler which caused another car to get run off into the median when he swerved to miss my daughter.

- Florence, MS, USA

May 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, a chime sounded as the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. Additionally, the transmission would surge when the contact would start the vehicle. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 10/22/2014 the consumer was informed the entire steering assembly needed to be replaced. Updated 02/03/15

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 232014

Malibu 6-cyl

Torque centre assembly is being recalled. GM has said not to use the car. It is used for driver education and private driving lessons. The part in question won't be available for 4-6 weeks maybe. What do we do with our car in the meantime? we're paying to keep the car on the road and a new replacement would have to be equipped with a duel braking system, which the dealer is not willing to do.

- Tarrytown, NY, USA

May 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became very hard to maneuver. In addition, the contact mentioned that the brake lights were constantly failing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who advised him that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 58,000.

- Bellerose Manor, NY, USA

May 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was traveling on a smooth, straight road with a gentle turn. The warning bell chimed and a message was displayed that noted power steering. I also heard clicking sounds coming from under the dash. At the same time the power steering failed and the car seemed to pull to the left and the car was impossible to steer. The car was pulled into oncoming traffic, but after a few seconds the power steering returned to the car and I was able to gain control. This happened again on the return trip home when I was pulling out from a dead stop. I contacted the dealer and according to them, my car is not included in the most current round of recalls from GM regarding power steering. I was informed that a replacement steering column would cost around 1,000.

- Lewisberry, PA, USA

Jan 202012

Malibu 8-cyl

On May 20, 2014 I filed a complaint regarding the electronic power steering, the fuel level indicator and the clunk noise in the steering system on my car. I contacted General Motors by E mail and they gave me a telephone number to call. Today, May 27, 2014 I called General Motors regarding their recall for the power steering problem. They informed me that my car was not included in the recall. They gave me the telephone number of a dealer in puerto rico where I have to take the car for a diagnostic. GM will not cover the cost of the repairs. Why do we have to pay for the bad job the car manufacturers do when they make their cars? there must be a way in which consumers get compensated by these companies for the expenses they impose on us with their defective vehicles. For me this may be the last Chevrolet I will buy.

- San German, PR, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was a sudden loss of power steering as the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving my car making a left turn when the power steering went out. I was able to make the turn (luckily no other cars were approaching). The vehicle was very difficult to turn. The power steering light came on the display and a chiming sound.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Dec 162013

Malibu

The first is the steering sounds like front end is going to fall apart when driving and when I turn corners. The second is the fuel the car constantly shuts off for no reason. And the third is the air conditoner blows from cold to hot.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Mar 172014

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering turns off by itself while driving at any speed, but does it more consistently at 65 mph and above.

- Brawley, CA, USA

May 162014

Malibu

While my kids and was driving alone a very busy road. In my 2006 Chevy Malibu here in albany ga my car made a cling noise and I didnt notice what it meant by making the noise but however at that very second my car steering locked up and made it very hard for me to operate. I actually had to control my vehicle with muscle force. So. after getting to a place I can pull over and begin to call my husband I turn the car off and started it back up and it begin to work fine. Well, I had the same problem two days later and so I decide to call a Chevy dealer in he begin to tell me that its a recall on these particular vehicles and given another number to see if my vehicle.had a recall on it. Well, calling this number in waited on a rep. He ask for the make and model of car as well the VIN of the vehicle I gave him the information that was requested then he cane back to the phone and said theres no recall for this car. Ok Friday May 16,2014 this happened again. I have tried all source thats possible in dont know what to do next. Could someone please make contact with me before this car cause a fatal accident by this particular vehicle.

- Albany, GA, USA

May 122014

Malibu 6-cyl

Loss of power steering when accelerating to passing gear.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Jul 032012

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering light comes on. Needed to replace the steering column.

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Apr 292014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 45 mph, the power steering warning lights illuminated as the vehicle became difficult to steer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The were no repairs completed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 179,000 and the current mileage was 180,000.

- Parsons, TN, USA

Sep 242013

Malibu

When slowing to a stop, the steering in the vehicle gave out and it was necessary to shut off and turn the vehicle back on the get the power steering to work again. Throughout this past winter, it frequently lost steering at stop signs, stop lights, and when moving at low speeds.

- Avon Lake, OH, USA

Feb 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving various speeds and attempting to turn, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,000 and the current mileage was 72,000. Updated 06/24/14 MA the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired under recall on May 7,2014. Updated 06/25/2014

- Nashua, NH, USA

Apr 252014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering light illuminated then the power steering failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 79,300.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Apr 232014

Malibu 6-cyl

Car shuts off while driving an steering is hard.

- Chase , MD, USA