2007 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jan 192016

Malibu

Power steering light keeps going on when you first start it and when car is restarted it goes off. Steering wheel vibrates back and forth while idling and power steering was going in and out while driving and is now completely out. This happened for about 3 days before power steering went completely out.

- Lexington, MI, USA

May 152015

Malibu

Starting before May 2015 and lasting until 11/19/15, the yellow warning dashboard lights, gauges, and dic would occasionally go berserk while driving. The first time this happened, I was on an interstate around 8am in the morning in may of 2015. At the same time during these episodes, the shifting of the automatic transmission would be jerky. The lights would "settle down" after long enough, but some combination of lights always remained on at the end of the episodes, such as the traction control light, check engine light, security light, and ABS light. The car would seem to return to normal sometimes after being restarted. I had a Chevrolet dealership check it out in 5/15/2015 and they found nothing. Sometimes during these episodes, the power steering would also lose power. The problem returned and I had a mechanic check it out and he put in a new ignition switch 11/19/15. The car has not gone berserk since then, but the power steering does not always work reliably and the check engine light came on once, but went off. The coolant temperature gauge has failed to work twice since then too. The cruise control also temporarily stopped working.

- Wheatland, OK, USA

Jul 182015

Malibu

My wife and I have been experiencing power steering issues, pooping and clicking while turning, days prior to the vehicle losing complete control and crashing into the median on the highway in atlanta, ga. Driving at the appropriate speed simply maneuvering around road debris, the car body leaned right then left while attempting to straighten the wheel. At that moment the vehicle no longer had traction nor was the braking system effective. At that moment the car veered left resulting in the Malibu hitting the center median totalling the front end. I sustained minor injuries but my brother broke his arm.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the brake warning light illuminated. In addition, the brake pedal was difficult to depress and required excessive force in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Mar 222015

Malibu

I was driving down the road and it started to shake then I lost all the power steering. I had to drop the speed to 35 just to keep it on the road.

- London, KY, USA

Aug 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hempstead, NY, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14V224000 (power train). The parts needed to repair the vehicle would not be available for months. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Rockaway Park, NY, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle veered to the left and the steering wheel became difficult to control. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Whenever I fill up my gas tank the gas gauge will register it as full when I start it up. But after going 10 feet the car will chime and the fuel gauge will go from full to empty and the light will illuminate and I will get a message that says low fuel. When I turn my car on the next time the check engine light will illuminate after driving 30 miles or so the fuel gauge will go from empty to full a few times and then it will read correctly but the engine light will stay on for a few more engine on and off cycles and then turn off. When it gets to about 1/4 tank it will start acting up again and the check engine light will come back on. The cruise control is fairly aggressive when it is going back to the speed it is set at and the car jerks when I reactivate it. I called the Chevy dealership to order the parts for the recall brake lights may or may not illuminate the person told me that she couldn't see anything about the recall and gave me the excuse that it was fairly new and I might not be in the system yet but I was sitting in front of my computer looking at it with my own eyes. Will call asap and ask about it again.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Aug 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle began to shudder lightly. The contact proceeded to drive the vehicle and the "service electronic stability control" and "service traction control" warning indicators illuminated. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The dealer was uncertain about when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Paulsboro, NJ, USA

Jan 282014

Malibu

First noticed issue when leaving dentist office and I started car, tried to back out and steering didn't work. I could turn the steering wheel, like having no power steering but worse. So I turned off car and restarted the car and then the power/ electronic steering worked. Then two days later I was driving down hwy 114 going to work early morning, and in the middle of me driving the steering went out again. I have had some old cars where the power steering went out and I had to "muscle" the steering so I did that the remainder of the way to work. Good thing I am physically strong enough to do that or I probably would have been in an accident. Got to work cut car off and started it back and the steering returned. I notice no recalls for the 2007 Malibu and dealership way more than I could afford to fix. Did have another licensed mechanic replace the rack and pinion system and electronic steering and so far so good. However this should not have been my cost for a defective system in the Malibu where a lot of other models got recalls but not the 2007. I feel I should be reimbursed my funds to fix.

- Euless, TX, USA

Sep 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

1. 2007 Chevrolet Malibu lt 2.2L 4 cylinder engine, problems with electric power steering. Upon start up of car it is very difficult to steer then problem goes away. This happens each time I start the car. Taking it to dealer to get diagnosis next week. This is a safety issue.

- Rantoul, IL, USA

Jan 272009

Malibu

Driving 2007 Chevrolet Malibu when another vehicle pulled out of side street proceeded to engage brakes and vehicle skidded out of control causing accident. A B S failure and traction control failure causing vehicle to be total loss.

- Norwalk, CA, USA