2007 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012016

Malibu

My car was involved in a previous Chevrolet recall for the same problem about 2-3 years ago. The cruise control does not engage all the time when on interstate driving and works sporadically. Also the brake lights work in reverse where when you are driving at low and high speeds, the brake lights are on but when you apply the brake, the brake lights go off. Also, you have to apply the brakes hard to get the lights to come on. Just a slight tap on the brakes does not turn on the brake lights.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake pedal traveled to the floor several times without warning. The contact called two dealers for months, but was informed that they were backed up with appointments to schedule a repair within a reasonable time frame. In addition, the service engine indicator illuminated. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V224000 (power train) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but was unable to schedule the repairs in a reasonable time frame. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 042016

Malibu

My car was recalled and fixed on 3/17/15 for the cruise control cutting out and the brake lights coming on. It was fine until a month ago and it started doing the same thing again. I took it to smith Chevrolet in gallipolis Ohio and they reset the computer, this did not help. Now they tell me they need to replace module 02560 part # 25861370 and sensor 04625 part # 13597430 at a cost of about $410. I fill they did a patch job last year and now want me to pay to fix it. If I pull the electrical system and plug it in and out a few times everything works fine for a couple of weeks. I have contacted Chevrolet and my reference # from them is 8-2180763999. James at phone #866-790-5700 ext 5913683 is trying to help me. I can't drive around with my brake lights on all the time, it is not safe. I got pulled over by a state trooper once last year before it was repaired.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Apr 072016

Malibu

I took my vehicle in for the break light being on continuously while driving. I took the vehicle to beardmore Chevrolet in bellevue Nebraska. I believed it was a recall issue (and still do), beardmore performed a diagnostic evaluation and told me it was not. I told them that since it was not a recall issue I would take it to my own mechanic. However when I left beardmore Chevrolet my break lights no longer worked at all. They did not put anything back together and my mechanic told me that there is a short somewhere in the break system and he along with 2 other certified GM mechanics could not find the source of the short. I don't understand how I can go from having break lights on all the time while driving to not having any break lights at all.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Nov 132015

Malibu

Takata recall I need to find out if the 2007 malbu is in the recall.they fix the tramission cable. It say the brake pedal sensor they fix the brake light light. Now I see power steering recall and intion switch recall. They charge me 1000. And it was not the problem now want to charge me for inition switch. That is the problem.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the brake warning light illuminated. In addition, the brake pedal was difficult to depress and required excessive force in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Sep 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

My emergency brake cable snapped.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while making a left turn at a low speed, the vehicle accelerated independently. The brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. As a result, the contact crashed into a building and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a scratch to the left arm that did not required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was inspected by a technician from the dealer. The contact was unsure about what needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,439. Updated 4/15/15

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14224000 (power train). The part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Castleberry , FL, USA

Sep 112014

Malibu

Car accident while cruise control engaged. Brakes did not work.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

I have an 2007 Malibu ls V6, one night I placed my car in park, turned the engine off, removed my key and seatbelt like I normally do and the car continued to roll forward. I attempted to press the brakes which did not respond and the car rolled off of a small cliff. I along with a passenger were in the vehicle at the time and since we were in the process of exiting we were thrown forward when the front of the vehicle hit the ground. I played that day back so many times and could not understand why the car did that. It was a very scary event and I don't attempt to park on inclines anymore. Since this event, I have received two recalls from the company with no date in correcting the issue. I am afraid I will attempt to stop and the brakes will fail again. Thank goodness this first time did not result in a physical injury, just a traumatizing event.

- Hopkins, SC, USA

May 042013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the ABS and the traction control indicators illuminated intermittently. The contact also mentioned that the brake pedal was extremely difficult to depress and required excessive force. The failures occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact attempted to have the vehicle repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and was unable to confirm when the part would become available to remedy the vehicle. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Aug 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

There are so many issues with this car and I am not at all happy. Just received 2 recalls on it for the electrical system and for the transmission shift cable. There are issues with the steering having a clunking sound and now I have to replace a tire because of it. Tires were purchased last October. I have read several complaints on this specific vehicle and other recalls. My son has to use this car to go back and forth to work which is only 7 miles one way, and I do not even trust it that far. We get told we will be contacted when the parts for the recalls are available, meanwhile something can happen and if it does you may just have a lawsuit on your hands. I just want to give the car back and get something else without having to add the remaining balance due to a new loan.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Whenever I fill up my gas tank the gas gauge will register it as full when I start it up. But after going 10 feet the car will chime and the fuel gauge will go from full to empty and the light will illuminate and I will get a message that says low fuel. When I turn my car on the next time the check engine light will illuminate after driving 30 miles or so the fuel gauge will go from empty to full a few times and then it will read correctly but the engine light will stay on for a few more engine on and off cycles and then turn off. When it gets to about 1/4 tank it will start acting up again and the check engine light will come back on. The cruise control is fairly aggressive when it is going back to the speed it is set at and the car jerks when I reactivate it. I called the Chevy dealership to order the parts for the recall brake lights may or may not illuminate the person told me that she couldn't see anything about the recall and gave me the excuse that it was fairly new and I might not be in the system yet but I was sitting in front of my computer looking at it with my own eyes. Will call asap and ask about it again.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Jun 122012

Malibu

A couple of issues with this car!!! first off, the latest recall done in 2014 with the brake lights not illuminating when pedal pressed but did when pedal wasn't depressed.after calling and going to multiple GM dealers, I had to research how to fix the problem and tell the GM dealer how! the issue is starting to act up again now. Starts off with the gear shift being nearly impossible to pull out of park and the cruise control acting up.wow, now a recall? second. The seering wheel has on 2 occasions jerked violently to one side then back and forth on it's own...while driving! almost as if the vehicle looses all power/dash lights come on it then jerks and makes a weird nose before it flips upside down and locks up! my 15 year old niece (who has had her permit 3 months) was driving one of the times! third - the airbag light randomly comes on / goes off when someone is sitting in the seat. I think I' should get all my $ back from the times I took my car in to find out "what the problem was" and had fixed (temporarily apparently) and now recalls are coming! honestly - there are enough things to worry about while driving (drunks, bad drivers, blow outs etc.) it's unsettling to have "known" issues with your vehicle but these companies will not fix!

- Urbana, MO, USA

Aug 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle began to shudder lightly. The contact proceeded to drive the vehicle and the "service electronic stability control" and "service traction control" warning indicators illuminated. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The dealer was uncertain about when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Paulsboro, NJ, USA

Jul 192014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id number:14V252000 ( electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Providence, RI, USA

Jun 112012

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights come on while driving without pressing brake pedal. When brake pedal is pressed, brake lights go off. First noticed this because cruise control would not set. Took it in for repairs at local dealership. They found the stoplamp switch to be faulty and replaced. Three days later, brake lights are on again without pressing brake pedal. Took it in again. This time they found a bulletin on problem and applied dielectric grease to the BCM connectors. Within a month, the problem occurred again intermittently, but did not take in. Since May 2014, brake lights are almost always on while driving even though brake pedal not pressed. Looked up similar problems on safercar.gov and found recall notice on vehicle. Called GM, gave them my VIN and GM recall number (13036) and they said that my vehicle was not included in the recall because they could not find any documented problems in my service history and I should go to local dealership to have electrical diagnostic test done. Went back to dealership and showed them printed copy of recall from safercar.gov and relayed conversation with GM. Dealership stated, after an afternoon with car, that recall number did not exist and they could not find any active recalls for my car. I asked about the service record and how come the 2012 services were not included, they said that it was only electrical and not really significant so they did not to document it. They also stated that because safercar.gov is not GM, they could not believe its reliability. After a long conversation, I asked if there was a recall on the Malibu in general, they said they did not know unless they had specific VIN. Dealership applied dielectric grease to BCM connectors. Frustrated at not getting answer, did own research and found recall numbers (103652, 103653, 103654) and a service bulletin (sb-08-05-22-009A) on the problem within 30 minutes.

- Normal, IL, USA

Jul 162007

Malibu 6-cyl

The brakes shudder and shake the car until you think it is going to come apart as you apply them at any speed. This car used to belong to my brother and a salesman drove it and was scared to death the whole time. It has about 90,000 on it now and he gave it to me to try to find out what to do about it. He is a multi-millionaire and doesn't have time to monkey with this stuff. He just buys more cars if he needs them. He has spent money to try to fix the issue with repair shops, rotors, brake pads, you name it. He even has a speed shop that he holds world records producing fast things and has a great staff than can fix anything on earth. But that is not his real business. He wouldn't spend anymore time or have anyone else try to fix it anymore until the factory owns up to what is going on with it. I was going to let my daughter drive it but with a new baby I can't allow that. It is extremely scary to drive and I have since found out that this was a well known problem. He really didn't know it was this bad.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Mar 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

The May 14 2014 recall about the BCM on Chevy Malibu does not supposedly include my model according GM but I started having that problem that problem with the brake lights coming on without hitting the brakes atleast 2 years ago.

- Wichita, KS, USA