2007 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Apr 012012

Malibu

On my 2007 Chevy Malibu, the cruise control will shut off by itself going down the road, the brake lights work backwards by step on brake they are off, foot off brake the lights are on. The steering wheel will lock up and have to shut car off and restart to get it to unlock and idling the car the steering wheel shakes and while driving down the road it shakes also. The part of the fuel pump that controls the gas gauge no longer works. I have taken to the dealer and they don't know of any recalls as of yet. But I have researched and have found this to be common problems, so why aren't there any recalls?

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Feb 112013

Malibu 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu and am having problems with my brake lights. Currently my brake lights don't illuminate when I step on the brake pedal, but will illumnate when I take my foot off the brake pedal. Sometimes brake lights will stay on during my entire drive whether or not I'm using the brake pedal. Happens randomly, with no discernable causes. Article in fox news dated 3/13/2013 ( www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/13/bad-brake-lights-could-force-recall-over-one-million-GM-cars/#ixzz2nus7qu5S ) indicates NHTSA is actively researching possible recalls, but calls to my dealer and GM customer care we of no use. Both my dealer and GM customer care told me there were no active recalls, and that I just need to get the problem fixed myself and then I could request reimbursement at a future date if any recall did happen. It's disappointing that a company as large as GM wouldn't proactively help their customers when a known problem exists in a large number of vehicles. Also mentioned in this article were problems concerning the cruise control. My cruise control will randomly stop working, or not even allow me the option of using cruise. This is not as big of a safety concern as the brake light issue, but again, mention of this problem occuring is one more reason I believe GM should be more proactive in helping their customers deal with the specific issues and concerns already being address/investigated by the NHTSA.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Nov 082010

Malibu 4-cyl

The first incident occurred in 2010, but has progressively become worse and most constant. The vehicles electrical steering will shake and jerk uncontrollably at times. The car does not always shake and jerk, but this occurs at least once per day. Some days it will shake and jerk non stop for long periods of time, others it will be short and quick. The car generally will shake and jerk for a few minutes, then will display on the display "power steering" and chime. The shaking occurs while driving and also when in park. Depending on the severity, the jerking can jolt the car into that direction. This is a safety hazard as it is very possible that this could cause an accident. The jerks are not controllable by two hands. Often while driving, the car looks as if it is jerking back and forth in its lane due to the rough jerking of the steering wheel. This is the most nerve racking while driving in weather such as snow or rain, where the road is slick or slippery. Having the car jerk around on ice is just an accident waiting to happen. When the problem first occurred, I took my vehicle to a GM dealership and had it inspected. The mechanic told us that the only option was to replace the entire steering column but they could not say if this would fix the issue. After reviewing many complaints and concerns online, I researched for recalls. I found that many models similar to ours have been recalled, but not our specific year.

- La Crosse, WI, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu

When filling up the car to full with gas. The gas gauge reads low fuel and on E and then the maintenance light comes on. Sometimes it will bounce back up to show how much gas is remaining only to fall back to low fuel and E again. Had this computer checked and they said it had to do with the fuel sensor located in the gas tank. The estimated cost to fix this would be around 600. I think this should be the responsibility of GM since they recalled their SUV's for the same problem. I can't tell how much gas is actually in the car and I don't know how to use the trip for this. With the low mileage on my car, I think it is outrageous that I should have to put out that kind of money for faulty problems on GM parts.

- Bridgeville, PA, USA

Oct 102010

Malibu 6-cyl

I had got in a crash in 2010 since then my electrical system and air bag indicator lights are always going on and off. Now my airbag lights stay on saying there not on. I also do not have a working fuel pump sensor.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

May 222012

Malibu 4-cyl

My brake lights are on when the brake is not applied and turn off when the brake is applied. Cruise control will turn on but will not set.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Feb 102012

Malibu

I was driving my Malibu when suddenly the steering became uncontrollable. I managed to pulled the car to the side of the road. I shut the engine down. I pulled out my manual for the 2007 car and I was directed to the kind of power steering that was supposed to be installed in my car. The manual indicates that the 2007 manual for my Chevrolet Malibu ltz with a V6 engines should have a hydraulic power steering system in place. It also shows by illustration the position of the power steering reservoir. I took the car to a Chevrolet dealer in arlington, MA. And the mechanic said this car has no power steering reservoir. I showed him the manual and he said there's something wrong here. Call GM customer care and maybe they can resolve the problem because they wrote the manual.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Feb 072012

Malibu 6-cyl

While making a turn and accelerating in my 2007 Malibu, the electric power steering went out and the car continued to go straight, almost causing me to go up the curb. After letting off the gas, the steering came back and I was able to gain control. During this time, the dash displayed "power steering" and made a chime.

- Evergreen Park, IL, USA

Jun 152011

Malibu

The fuel sensor on our 2007 Chevy Malibu only works occasionally. It will typically read empty regardless of the fuel level and the check engine light comes on. Obviously a major problem with this car as many owners are seeing the same problem. The sensor is inside the gas tank so this issue cannot be due to excessive wear and tear, it is simply a bad design or a bad part. Either way GM needs to accept responsibility for the mistake and fix their mistake. With cold winter driving an inaccurate fuel sensor is a hazard. The trip meter can give a rough estimate, but as mpg changes considerably between highway and city driving as well as winter vs. Summer this is not a very safe solution.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 232010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that according to the owner's manual, the anti theft system was not calibrated correctly when the vehicle was manufactured. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but only offered to cover half of the repair costs. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fritch, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the vehicle tail lights and dash board lights would not illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vehicle was purchased. The dealer made unknown repairs to correct the failure yet the failure persisted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 40,000. Updated 6/21/10 the consumer stated the taillight, dashboard and license plate lights never worked and the dealer made no attempt to correct the problem, except to tell the consumer he needed to purchase a $400 part from them. Updated 06/24/10.

- Catasauqua, PA, USA

Sep 172009

Malibu

I know that this safety issue doesn't rank up there with sticking gas pedals, etc., but I feel it is important enough that someone should look into it. Actually, there are two interrelated design flaws with the ┐driver information center┐ on the 2007 Chevy Malibu ls I bought last year. The driver information center (┐dic┐) is the green led display in the radio that normally displays such info as time and temperature, etc., but it is also used by Chevy to display warning messages. The two problems are: A). critical warnings ┐ in my case a warning message to 'service airbag┐ popped up one evening on the dic ┐ but it was only displayed once (it did not appear again the next morning or thereafter). Since Chevy considered this issue important enough to suggest that I not continue to drive the vehicle until the problem was fixed, I think that they should have programmed this warning (or any safety related warning) to stay on until the problem is fixed. B). the dic is far too dim to see clearly during most daylight hours (even on many cloudy days) and is for all intents and purposes totally invisible if the driver is wearing sunglasses. Just a quick search on the internet will show that this is not a recent or isolated complaint┐.I see complaints about the dic being too dim going back to at least 2004! when I complained to Chevy about the dimness issue they told me this was ┐normal┐ (I in turn told them that it may be ┐normal┐ but it certainly is unacceptable ┐ especially given that had the critical safety warning come on during daylight hours I probably would never have even seen it and would still be driving around with an unresolved safety issue).

- West Allis, WI, USA