2007 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 252016

Engine power reduce and service traction lights come on. Car will not accelerate. Goes off and on through out the week. No one will diagnosis and there have already been many problems. Tired of GM products. Never buying another GM vehicle in the future.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Aug 092015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 20 mph and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the master air flow sensor and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 136,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 052015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to move from a completed stop, the vehicle would stall and the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to be restarted after the initial attempt. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle was misfiring; however, further diagnostic testing would need to be performed to find a resolution to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Mar 122015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed ore repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Redline, PA, USA

Nov 222014

Malibu 4-cyl

My engine blew. I was driving down the street and my car wouldn't accelerate.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering: (2014-2015) the power steering goes out unexpectedly while driving. A power steering notice appears on the radio. Had a mechanic check power steering fluid and found no need, fluid level was fine. Power steering outages continue to happen intermittently and without notice until finally going out completely in March 2015. Power steering is on at start-up of vehicle then goes out in first minute or two of driving. Chevrolet dealer replaced power steering torque sensor @ $470. There is a recall for this same issue in the previous model year but was told my car is not covered. The car only has 55,000 miles. Engine: (2014) engine block cracked after 5 minute drive to work with only 35,000 miles on the car. Mechanic said they had never seen anything like it. All fluid levels were fine and there was no apparent reason for this to happen. Because the vehicle is a 2007 the warranty was expired. Paid $2000 for a used engine to be installed! now paying for the "not covered" power steering issue. Perhaps it's time to buy a different make of vehicle.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Nov 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

The passlock system in the car enables whenever it wants to leaving you stranded. The whole car shuts down all methods of disarming the system fail. You have to wait X amount of time for the passlock system to disable on it's own. It could take an hour to 48 hours! huge inconvenience!

- Butte Des Morts, WI, USA

Mar 142014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph and making a right turn, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The engine and power steering warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Palapine, IL, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 14224000 (power train). The part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Castleberry , FL, USA

Jan 062015

Malibu 6-cyl

Vehicles cruise control was engaged when reaching and hill the cruise control sped up and as soon as it did I lost engine power completely it was not until I was able to safety make it to the side of the interstate coasting that I realized the engine had cut off. I then parked the vehicle turned off all electrical components and turned the ignition to the off position; and attempted to restart to engine switch resulted in nothing but the engine light coming on and the lights of the vehicle coming on but no firing of the engine or even a click from the starter at this point I was glad a had all my blankets and thing in the vehicle because in North Dakota and Montana its cold. After a few failed attempts at turning the key and nothing happening waiting 5mins in between I began calling my insurance company 10 more mins pass by and I"M on hold I decide to try the car again in which it fired right up the check engine light remained illuminated for about 2 days after the incident now it has disappeared from my dash lights my car goes in for repair next week to get engine heater installed and recalls taken care of however I don"T see what would cause the listed above issue to occur under any listed recalls but I am also not vehicle savvy.

- Westport, KY, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving 50 mph in the passing lane my 2007 Malibu shut itself off. There was substantial traffic and I had to coast across the lanes to the side of the road with my 7 year old daughter in the car. I called 1-800-chevusa and was told that since my manufacturer warranty is up there isn't anything that could be done. After speaking to a supervisor my car was towed to the local Chevy dealership where it is still sitting now. My husband also spoke to someone at Chevy who told him that since the warranty is up and there is no recalls we were basically out of luck. My husband nicely explained to them that there were no recalls at first on the cobalt's either but unfortunately it took someone being killed for them to take the issue seriously. They state that they will send paperwork to have my car looked at by the Chevy dealer but we are still waiting. We could have been killed from this and I hope that this issue gets resolved and if it is a recall issue they do it fast before it happens to someone else.

- Bear Creek Twp, PA, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the engine power decreased and the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle decelerated almost immediately. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Nov 132013

Malibu 6-cyl

Since purchasing my car in August 2013, I have had to make three fairly costly repairs. Each time the mechanic told me this was a "known problem" for Chevrolet. The first was the intake valve. I hadn't experienced problems but took the car in for what I thought was a squealing belt. The squealing turned out to be the water pump. Since that was secondary in importance to the intake valve, I had that replaced first. Followed by the water pump a couple of months later. Then about a month ago, I was out of town and my car suddenly would not shift into park or reverse. It was a worn and stretched shifter cable. However GM says my car is not part of the recall.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jul 222013

Fueled up and the gas light and check engine light came on. Gas gauge went up and down and now stays on. Does not recognize fuel is in the car and always says low fuel even after fueling up. Both check engine and gas light are steady on.

- Griffith, IN, USA

Nov 202013

Malibu 4-cyl

My 2.2 liter 4 cylinder Chevy engine in my 2007 Chevy Malibu started to misfire and the check engine light came on when I started my car in the morning. I brought it to a Chevrolet dealer in lodi California and after testing it they said it had a burnt valve in the #3 cylinder. I brought it to two other independent repair shops and they both said that there is a factory flaw in the cylinder heads that cause the valve seats to fail under normal use and cause the engine to misfire.

- Wallace, CA, USA

Sep 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to driver door lock malfunction caused by poor wire connection and consumer seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated while driving, the tire traction light illuminated and he was unable to turn it off, and then the check engine light illuminated. He was also unable to use the speed control setting, during that time. When he arrived home, he was unable to get out of the vehicle, because the driver door auto lock wouldn't operate properly. Two days later, when he put the vehicle into drive, the driver side door didn't lock automatically, but all the other locks worked properly. The dealer informed the consumer the harness came loose and it caused the wiring under the driver's seat to chaff and expose the wiring which then touched each other and caused the malfunction. He further advised that, as part of the repair, the harness and wiring were moved over from its original location so that the problem would never occur again.

- Audubon, NJ, USA

Jun 202013

Malibu 4-cyl

Last week my car started creeping when I hit the gas. My car sounds like a boat. The car sounds like its not getting gas or choking. When it starts picking up speed it sounds like its dropping into the gears. I took it to the shop and they are telling me that there is a problem with the catalytic converter and it needs to be replaced. That has been replaced now they are telling me there is a problem with the timing chain and water pump. Now, I noticed that these are all things that are covered under Chevy warranty but the issues shows up after the warranty has ended. Chevy needs to extend the warranty on these parts because its a common issue.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA