2007 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 20 of 22)

Feb 232011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle would move to the left but not to the right. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted who did not offer any assistance. The failure and current mileages were 73,000.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Jan 072011

Malibu

The power steering failed, I was advised by dealership that the repairs are $864 I was advise the power steering is an electrical system and needs to be repaired.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 152010

Malibu 6-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Malibu, when turning left I am experiencing a loud pop sound and after reading several other complaints of this same sort of issue, possible loss off power steering and loss of control of car, intermediate steering linkage issue. This is not good. Has GM sent out a recall on the trouble? if not they should.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Feb 082011

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering my car kept goin in and out.Feb 8 it went out completely and almost caused me to wreck.online research lead me to believe Chevrolet is aware of problems with the electronic power steering problems with the Malibu. Have been many complaints online and called Chevy customer service number and local dealership, the car can not be drove due to feeling very unsafe in turns and if it locked up all together. Also fromwhat I have read the problem has gotten fixed with consumers out of pocket money and the problem rearise shortly thereafter.

- Burlington , NC, USA

Jan 172011

Malibu

Just bought my Chevrolet 2007 Malibu and it has been making a popping noise in the steering when making turns and driving. I have read online about numerous people having the same problem with these vehicles, and in some instances even causing them to crash.

- Hager Hill, KY, USA

Dec 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

2007 Chevy Malibu is having problems with the power steering going out when taking right turns. I really did not have this problem until the winter season, not saying that's the cause of the malfunction. In the mornings when I crank up before going to work, the steering wheel will move side to side motion for about 15 minutes. The power steering usually goes out when taking right turns. Never had the power steering go out when I turn left. This has been going on every since the early part of December 2010. On the day that it first happened, I pulled to the side of the road an contacted GM about the problem and wanted to know if their were a recall to the specific model. The customer service rep acted as if he never heard of the problem. I did a little research and found that their are other GM cars that have problems with the power steering as well. Chevy is fully aware of the problem. I guess that it will have to be national coverage on the news for any action to be taken. This car is in fairly new condition and should not be having these problems. I'm just happy that my girlfriend was not driving at the time. She is very tiny, and not as strong as I. this problem needs to be rectified asap. Here is the youtube link of actual footage of this problem happening www.youtube.com/watch?V=ly0lrqqx9rq.

- Monroe, GA, USA

Jan 192011

Malibu 4-cyl

The steering on my 2007 Chevy Malibu locked up on me as I was driving down the road, it did it again as I was turning in the parking lot. It has done this several times in the past. It also makes a loud clunking noise when I turn the steering wheel sometimes.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 062010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 35 mph, the power steering locked suddenly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who repaired the steering three times. They were constantly repairing the steering motor. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Danville, KY, USA

Dec 152010

Malibu

I was in a crowded parking lot and suddenly lost power steering. I nearly hit a pedestrian because I was in the middle of a turn. The power steering continues to fail without warning. When doing some research online about this I found hundreds of entries of the same problem. There are recalls on other models and other years, just not the 2007 Malibu that I have. This electric power steering can fail at any time and is a very dangerous issue. The repair is expensive ($1300) and will not prevent additional failures.

- Sparta, MI, USA

Dec 202010

Malibu

I have problem with power steering for Chevy Malibu 2007 sometimes its luck up when im driving or when im turn left or right and making noise.

- Irving, TX, USA

Nov 242007

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu ltz. The steering column has locked up several times. The worse time happened about a week ago. I was having the brakes checked and the repair man drove the car and when he mashed the accelerator the cars steering locked up and he had to fight it to keep from hitting a block and concrete wall. He said the car was very unsafe to drive. I took it to the car dealer where I bought the car and they said it was the ignition switch. I was wondering if you have heard if GM is aware of this problem and if there has been a recall on this thank you.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Nov 242008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard rattling noises from the front end and the steering column. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was repaired (repair details were not given). Shortly after, the vehicle was taken in for routine maintenance and the contact was informed that the front passenger tie rod and steering knuckle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Upon receiving the vehicle back, the contact began to hear rattling noises from the front end and steering wheel intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000 and the current mileage was approximately 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Oct 272010

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering fails constantly. The only wat to get it to work again is to shut engine off and restart, however this is only works for a very short time(less than 1 mile of driving ) in my research on this problem I have seen GM has recalled several other models(2005-10 cobalt and some Pontiac) for exact same problem. No crash or injuries have occcured yet. We do not drive the vehicle any more than necessary. Very difficult to turn corners and manuever parking lots. Will be impossible to control on ice & snow. This is an accident waiting to happen. This came on suddenly and without warning.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Nov 042010

Malibu

Steering has been loose while turning left and tighter when turning right since I first got this vehicle. On Nov,4 2010 I was pulling out of store and accelerated the steering seems to have locked up and rendered me unable to steer pulled on side of the road to calm down then began driving again when accelerating the steering lock up again. Brought vehicle to GM repair shop they said the steering motor and steering shaft were not working properly and need to be replaced.

- Sulphur, LA, USA

Oct 102010

Malibu

On several occasion the power steering indicator light comes on. When the driver resort to the manual to find the power steering reservoir, it clearly states its location. The Chevy 2007 Malibu that the driver owns does not have a power steering reservoir. The dealer was consulted there is a problem because the manual states it has a power steering reservoir but the dealer could not find it. GM was consulted about the matter and said there is a recall and problem but not on the 2007 model. The car has become considerably harder to steer but GM will not as of yet resolve this issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 202010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact started the ignition, a chime sounded inside of the vehicle with an illumination of the power steering warning indicator. There was a complete loss of the power steering. The failure occurred three times with loss of the power steering when driving at various speeds. The power steering would reset when the engine was turned off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Grafton, WV, USA

Feb 112008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. When driving at various speeds, the contact noticed that the steering wheel would suddenly turn in either direction without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions where the steering shaft, and steering column were replaced; however, the failure continued to recur. The current mileage was 44000 and the failure mileage was 2300.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 152010

Malibu

I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu with steering problems. For a long time is has made a popping noise when turning the steering wheel at any speed. I took it to GM several months ago and they made some type of adjustment and it stopped. It has recently started again. A couple weeks ago when driving on the interstate the steering wheel began to move left to right by itself. I could feel the car move also. It will also do this when the car is running idle. It has done this several times now. When this occurred I could definitely feel a loss of control with the vehicle. It is my understanding many people are experiencing many steering problems with this vehicle and GM will not do anything about it. They told me the cost to replace the steering column is around $1000 at the owners expense. This is a very serious safety issue and should be recalled and repaired by GM.

- Berea, KY, USA

Aug 212010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 5 mph and various other speeds, the steering wheel jerked back and forth, locked and would pull the vehicle to the left or right. The contact shut the engine off and restarted it which would reset the power steering. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that there were no related recalls and repairs would be at her expense. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was 7,350.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 092010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While turning right at an unknown low speed, the steering wheel became very stiff and the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact pulled over and turned the vehicle off. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the steering column was defective. The vehicle was being repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 78,000.

- Loma Rica, CA, USA