2007 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 21 of 22)

Jun 122010

Malibu 6-cyl

2007 Chevy Malibu power steering failed when leaving gas station. Had to restart engine several times before it started working again. Happened only occasionally at first but then started happening almost every trip. Replaced power steering motor with used one but problem still there. Dangerous-happens with no warning in curves and on straight.

- Grayson , KY, USA

Jun 102010

2007 Chevy Malibu lt I4, about 45,000 mile. From 2010 summer, steering wheel keeps shaking left and right, may lose power steering assistance and cause crash. Called Chevy and being told not under powertrain warranty.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Sep 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

1. 2007 Chevrolet Malibu lt 2.2L 4 cylinder engine, problems with electric power steering. Upon start up of car it is very difficult to steer then problem goes away. This happens each time I start the car. Taking it to dealer to get diagnosis next week. This is a safety issue.

- Rantoul, IL, USA

Jun 222010

Malibu 6-cyl

Since my 2007 Malibu lease began, I have complained the front end doesn't feel right and took it in for this even. But in June 2010, driving on highway - it was raining, my car began to fishtail, I was not worried, I pulled out no problem, again- it did this, no problem but suddenly the steering wheel very quickly started jerking back and forth and I couldn't hold onto it, it moved so fast !!. the steering wheel started spinning then and of course so did my car. I'm a seasoned driver with no accidents before. I really feel that if the steering wheel had not done that, I would not have crashed. The airbags did not go off either my car and I were the only ones injured. My insurance told me no need to call police.

- Rh, MI, USA

Sep 142008

Steering problems on a 2007 Chevy Malibu..starting approx. 2 years ago..fall of 2008..taken to certified Chevy dealer four times has been "fixed". in spring 2010 power steering motor replaced twice...taken back to certified dealer on 8/2/10 to have rack and pinion fixed for 2nd time as well..

- Cairo, MO, USA

Mar 312008

I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu. I bought the car 2 1/2 yrs. Ago. It had 12,000 miles on it at the time. We were told at 33,000 miles that it needed a new steering gear, which we did, then at 35,000 miles a strut was replaced, then in 2009 another steering gear was put in and also a few months later it was yet again doing the same thing so they greased it..... now they say we need a steering shaft put in.....GM should recall all these vehicles.....I for one am filing a complaint with the BBB and will never own a GM product again....I as well, will do my best to deter anyone I know from owning a GM product!

- Urbana, OH, USA

Jul 092010

This problem is for a 2007 Chevy Malibu. I read online about several problems with the electric steering module. My problem and others are the steering will shake from left to right during idle. Also, when im driving the steering wheel will get stuck like if someone took over it. There are a lot of google incidents that are posted about this problem and GM should have a recall of that problem. Happens daily.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 182010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 35 mph the contact noticed that the power steering light appeared on the instrument panel and within a few minutes, the vehicle no longer had power steering. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where who stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 104,000. Updated 5/2/11 updated 05/11/11

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jun 292010

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 35 mph, the contact heard an unusual pop from the front end of the vehicle. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised the immediate steering shaft was defective. The dealer advised the contact he would be responsible for partial repairs. The contact did not believe he should be held liable for any of the repair. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 66,000.

- Sandersville, GA, USA

Jun 022010

The power steering seems to come in and out intermittently. While driving, the steering wheel gets looser and tighter and the turn response varies. I have been unable to diagnose the exact problem. Power steering assist sensor is what a few people have mentioned to me about it. I haven't had any accidents due to this, but it is scary.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 022010

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 to 45 mph the power steering light came on. He drove to a service station to check his power steering fluid and noticed that it was empty. The contain stated that he has not taken the vehicle to a repair shop but he called the manufacturer. The manufacturer advised him that he had to pay for the repairs since there were no related recalls for his VIN. The approximate failure and current mileages were 72,000.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 042010

Power steering assist fails randomly. Seems to occur in warm weather and more frequently at lower speeds such as low speed turns, however has failed at highway speed while driving in straight line. Shutting the car off and restarting the vehicle restores the power steering for a period of time.

- Lapeer, MI, USA

Jun 282010

I was driving my 2007 Chevy Malibu on a highway traveling at approx. 40 mph when suddenly the steering went out. I was able to regain control of the vehicle after a few seconds. It was as if my power steering failed.

- Hartford City, IN, USA

Jun 022010

2005-2007 Chevy Malibu steering issue. NHTSA recall #10V073000 pertains to cobalt, this is also a Malibu issue and should also be included in the recall as this is the same problem we all are experiencing.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 022010

I purchased a 2007 Chevy Malibu in March 2008 and the steering wheel was shaking to the left from the first day I purchased it and when it was checked by the dealer, I was told that it was normal and that it was due to the electronic power steering used in this model as apposed to the hydraulic steering in the previous years. Aside from the steering wheel pulling to the left, there was no problem until a month ago when the power steering was locking up and rendering the vehicle steering completely inoperable all of a sudden. I researched the problem on the internet and found that this is a common problem with all 2005 and later Chevrolet Malibu and that GM refused to remedy the problems that many owners are experiencing. On June 2nd 2010, the power steering on my Malibu locked up and seized and it rendered me unable to steer my vehicle and caused me to steer into a road sign and crash. It caused considerable damage to the front of the car as well as the radiator and under carriage of the car. GM has known of the defect, but is unwilling to recall and repair or replace the problem. I was instructed to write this letter and file a clain with the NHTSA to have an investigation lodged in an attempt to have this problem repaired by GM by force. The failure happens now almost every other day and is starting to happen more frequently. The steering locks up all of a sudden with no prior warnings. Although if you stop the car, turn it off, and restart the car, the problem goes away, only to happen again at a later time with no warning.the dealer claims that GM has not recalled the problem and that the problem can be fixed for around $1000 to replace the steering column and sensor. According to previous owners, they have paid the $1000 to have the repair, only to have the same thing happen again in a few months.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

May 302010

I started the car to cool off during a hot day, and the steering wheel started twitching back and forth, and while driving the steering will lock up, or twitch back and forth. I've taken it to 2 Chevy dealers and it's going to cost around $900 to fix. They claim that it's a common occurrence, and they are constantly fixing this issue.

- Gause, TX, USA

Aug 102007

We do not like the electronic steering, the car does not hold the road well, we've had no accidents with it, but when we had it checked at the dealers they told us it was ok.. we still are not happy with it.

- Freeland, WA, USA

Mar 152010

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph when the power steering failed which caused the contact to lose control of the steering wheel into someones yard. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. There were not related recalls. The technician stated that there would be a service charge for the repairs performed on the vehicle and diagnostic testing. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage were 58,000.

- Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

Feb 152010

Loss of power steering. Happened 3 times in 3 months so far. Called local dealer and sounds like same issue as the cobalt. Said no recall because different components.

- Demotte, IN, USA

Jan 112010

When making sharp turns or parallel parking steering gets tight and power steering light on dash illuminates. Code# C0460 retrieved need to replace power steering module. Replaced power steering control module.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA