2007 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 22 of 22)

Mar 202009

Malibu

On my 2007 Chevrolet Malibu ltz the electronic power steering motor shuts off while driving at anytime, only way to get power back to steering is to shuts off vehicle and restart it, but only works for 5 to 10 minutes again and will do the same thing, almost got into accidents at least 5 times when shuts off while steering, but does go off all the time. Took it to 2 Chevrolet dealership and both denied to be a safety issue cover by warranty and that I should pay them $980 for repairs. Steering rack was replaced twice but the problem was diagnosed later is the steering motor/module. I even contact GM and they acted like they could fix it for me, they even sent me to another dealership in my area for "proper diagnosis", I remained them that I knew what the problem was and what was need it to repair but they told me to go ahead and drop my car with them and let them diagnose the problem, 7 days later I got a called form the dealer saying that the repair will cost me around $900 (which I knew that was what they charge). I told them that GM sent me to them and they will contact them, I asked GM again and they said that they receive the work order but they were sorry but they were not going to assist me with my issue because vehicle was over warranty. My car is a 2007 and the first time I complaint was on 2009. When offcourse warranty was still in effect (car has 100,000 miles warranty but only covers engine and transmission). The only reason GM acted like they were concerned was because I filed a complaint with the BBB, because I contact them before I contact the BBB and they refuse even to talk about it. After I filed the complaint with the BBB magically they called me and pretend they were concerned. Anyway after they denied to cover the repairs I went to pick my car up and the dealer wanted to charge me $150. I denied to pay because GM sent me I didn't request the diagnosis, I paid it once already. Anyway now GM recalls a cobalt with same issue but not Malibu.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Jan 042010

Malibu

Yesterday I note that GM will be recalling 1.3 million vehicles owing to a problem with the power steering electric motor with this recall being driven by NHTSA. Will the 2007 GM Malibu be included? since August 2009, my 2007 GM Malibu sedan has developed a "clunking noise" coming from the steering column. In September, 2009 we had a 'lube kit' installed which was suppose to eliminate the clunking. However during November the clunking noise returned aggravated by periodic error messages that state there may be a problem with the electric steering motor. During servicing on Jan 4, 2010 the dealer recommends that the "electric motor, steering shaft and column be replaced". however upon several discussions with GM headquarters in oshawa, onto, I am told that " there is an unresolved design problem with the mechanism and any replacement at this time will only be temporary". also "because of no known serious accidents contributed to the mechanism, there will be no recalls or coverage under warranty". upon reviewing a multitude of complaints on the internet (eg: www.carcomplaints.com, etc.) I note that this is a very common problem with this vehicle and with similar responses from GM.

- Cambridge, Ont., Canada, 00, USA

Dec 212009

Malibu

Chevy needs to widen recent recall of 1.3 million compact cars to include the Malibu. I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu that is currently experiencing all the issues that is included in the recall of the compact cars. My vehicle steering wheel vibrates hard in park at times. On the road, the power steering assist is lost and makes the vehicle hard to hold on the road. There is no warning, the message center displays power steering. Took to dealership, they said the power steering motor and steering column needs replacing @ a cost of $750. This is a 2007 vehicle, there is no way that the entire steering column needs to be replaced. I have owned several older Chevy models, and none of the have this problem. The dealer states that majority of Chevy cars made after 2005 has required some type of repair or replacement in the steering area. Why is this issue being ignored by Chevy?

- Bladenboro , NC, USA

Sep 142008

Malibu

Steering problems happening on a 2007 Chevy Malibu...starting approx. One and a half years ago...fall of 2008....taken to a certified Chevrolet dealer twice it has been "fixed" on 2-24-10..power steering gone out again while pulling into a parking lot, could not steer vehicle...quite a safety hazard.

- Cairo, MO, USA

Feb 242010

Malibu

I have had my Malibu for 3 years and I have 119,000 miles on it. After about 90,000 miles there was a popping clunking in the steering when I turn left or rights and when in reverse. Repair shop says a bulletin was issued by GM and they have the part to fix it. Cost is about $300. There are many other reports of this problem on your site.

- Denton, MD, USA

Feb 222007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 45 mph and various speeds the power steering failed intermittently whenever he accelerated and made a left or right turn. He also noticed a clicking noise behind the dashboard and immediately it became difficult to turn the steering wheel. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. He called the manufacturer and a representative gave him a claim number in reference to the failure. The current mileage was approximately 72,800. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 012009

Malibu

2007 Chevy Malibu loss of power steering around turns under acceleration. Dealer can not duplicate. Date of incident around Jan. 09 and happens 2-3 times per week. Very dangerous.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 132010

Malibu

Power steering failure while driving on the highway. I pulled over and turned the car off. It scared me. I turned the car on after awhile and it worked just fine. That was 2 weeks ago and now it does it 1 TO4 times while iam driving. They said it would cost $500 at my auto shop.. I cant afford that. And my passenger side window wont work. The steering going out is a safety issue for my family. I have 3 kids and I don't like when they are in this car. I paid $16,000 for this car. I think I got ripped off. I believe GM should recall this everyone seams to have the same problem.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 152009

Malibu

Worn intermediate steering shaft causing uneven front tire wear, the car not tracking straight (car would track to the left requiring constant steering correction to the right), and a rattling noise would be heard driving over rough roads. The car dealership replaced the intermediate steering shaft to fix the problem. The dealership kept the old part. Loss of steering could have occurred if this part had failed.

- Fulton, MO, USA

Jun 062009

Malibu

Purchased 2007 Malibu lt used with 29,097 miles with remainder of factory warranty and extended warranty after that. Soon after purchase a popping clunking noise became apparent in the steering mostly when turning either direction. Put off by dealer until factory warranty void then was told that steering gear in rack & pinion defective ( this was at 42,509 miles) they then replaced the whole rack and pinion assy. No noise for 3800 miles then right back to where we started. Finally received appointment for dealer repair shop at 47,096 miles. Car was inspected and we were told that intermediate shaft is making the noise but it "is not a safety concern and we should be fine driving the vehicle" I specifically asked the service desk at the dealer if there might be a safety recall or service bulletin and was told that there were none. Your web site shows service bulletin #060232007 that directly pertains to this problem, and also complaint # 10257971 that is precisely what our problem is. This noises we contend with are not some little wimpy things that you can only hear with the windows up, but loud enough for persons standing on the sidewalk or driveway to hear plainly my wife and I are both disabled and we are almost afraid to go anywhere in the vehicle for fear of a breakdown, not to mention anybody riding with us. I was told by the dealer that we would have to pay (again) for more repair to the steering, but that it was an ongoing engineering problem that GM has had for years, and they couldn't (or wouldn't?) guarantee that it (the problem ) wouldn't crop up again later. We would just like to spread the word to other GM owners.

- Eucha, OK, USA

Sep 192009

Malibu

In January of 2009 I purchased a used 2007 Malibu from a dealer. I can't remember how many miles were on it then, but, it was under 28,000 miles. At the end of may of 2009 my power steering failed suddenly while pulling into a parking space. I almost hit the car in the next space. After getting back in the car everything was fine for 2 days when it failed again while driving through a turn around, clicking off then on within seconds. I almost hit the car next to me. It is now September 2009. Only 4 months after taking it in to a dealership to have it fixed (fixed May 22nd, 2009 / mileage at the time was 31,086), my power steering is failing again. September 18th, pulling into the parking lot at my job the power steering failed and on the 19th, again, on my way to work on a straight away my car started beeping at me and "power steering" flashed on my display. I have 35,200 miles on my car now and the warranty ends at 36,000. Will I have to replace my power steering unit every 4 to 5 months and hope I don't get into an accident?

- Redford Twp, MI, USA

Sep 032009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact started the vehicle and noticed that the power steering did not function properly which made it difficult to control the steering wheel. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 40,000.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Jul 172009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. In 2008, the contact heard a clunking noise whenever she turned the vehicle left or right. The vehicle was taken in for service and the strut was replaced. The noise returned and the contact took the vehicle back to the repair shop. She was informed that the failure was not that severe to have to replace the strut again. Currently, the noise still persists occasionally. The failure mileage was 61,000. Updated 09/01/09. The consumer stated there was a noise coming from the steering when turning from a stop. Updated 09/03/09.

- Minden, LA, USA

Apr 052009

Malibu

Bought the car in 2007. No known cause of this problem. Electronic steering goes out. Steering wheel starts to shake, and jerks back and forth. It causes me to weave from side to side. The car sometimes steers fine, then out of the blue, it acts up again. This is a very dangerous problem. I have found that this is a widespread concern.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 222009

Malibu

-the contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The dealer had to replace the rack and check alignment and adjust the toe because the power steering rack assembly was grinding. The contact wanted other Malibu owners to know what happen to her vehicle. The failure mileage was 46,000

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Jan 082008

Malibu

I bought the car in December 2007, within 30 days, I took it in for a clunking noise in the steering, when going over bumps @ low speed. Also clunks when turning wheel sharply. Over a course of 11 months, I took the car in for the same problem 4 times! they replaced steering shafts, columns, lubed, re-aligned, the works! and every time, within 3000 miles, the noise is back. This all started when it was under warranty and continued through past my warranty. I have the extended warranty, but it's a $100 deductible. Everytime I took it after the "free" warranty was up(3 times) I've had to fight with the dealership on having my deductible covered. The service department manager told me it was a common problem with these cars(the steering)and there isn't much they can do about it. I've been all over the internet, only to find out there are alot of the same exact complaints. Is this something I have to deal with" it definitely makes me not want to buy GM products. If they are aware of this problem, why can't it be fixed?"

- Flint, MI, USA

Sep 012008

Malibu

Intermediate shaft went out.

- Marion, SC, USA

Sep 232007

Malibu

Car was being driven regularly. The failure has progressed everyday for about a month. I took it to the shop yesterday to find out that the problem is the drive shaft and bearings on the tire. The car is being repaired, at 40,000 miles. This is a 2007 vehicle!

- Homewood, IL, USA

May 012007

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu lt. While driving 20 mph, the steering wheel locked. The failure is intermittent and has occurred on several occasions. The most recent failure occurred in the middle of an intersection. The vehicle was taken to two dealers and both were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer advised the contact to keep taking the vehicle to the dealer until the failure can be diagnosed. The current mileage was 19,415 and failure mileage was 14,000. Updated 11/1/07

- Rome , NY, USA