2007 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu:

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 22)

Feb 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Malibu which I drive back and forth to work everyday on the highway. On wed. 2/26/14 I felt a pulsing vibration while driving on the highway. A short while later I lost the power steering completely which needless to say was very dangerous trying to get to the side of the highway in heavy traffic with no power steering. I had to have my car towed to my local mechanic who told me that the problem was in the electronic power steering system. The parts were ordered at a cost of $856.54 and the total cost with labor was $1272.07. I have since been on-line and read page after page of problems with the electronic power steering for this year Malibu. I see that they have now added the 2007 Malibu to the recall list but my VIN does not show up. Please advise.

- North Attleboro, Ma., MA, USA

Feb 092015

Malibu 4-cyl

Sudden loss of power steering. A recall has been issued but apparently does not include all models of the recall period with the same electric steering.

- Northampton, PA, USA

Mar 282015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the torque assembly and power steering assist needed to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bear Lake, MI, USA

Mar 042015

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering quit while driving - same symptoms as current recall for power steering - however our VIN number is not included in this recall this has happened twice in the last 30 days - 1st occurrence March 4, 2015, 2nd occurrence March 28, 2015 contacted Chevrolet but no action on their part.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Mar 162015

Malibu 6-cyl

Have had many instances in the last couple of weeks where when the car was turned on a message appeared about the power steering. When you shut the car off, the message would go away. Finally the message wouldn't go off with a restart and the power steering went out. We drove it slowly to a shop where the steering sensor was replaced.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Feb 202015

Malibu 4-cyl

Was driving down the interstate at 70 mph and lost complete power steering in the vehicle, making steering really tough, almost causing an accident. No warning just went out, "power steering" appeared on the information screen with one ding from the vehicle. I researched it and my vehicle is not involved in any of the power steering recalls, but had similar experience to the ones that have been recalled. Maybe they need to expand this recall before someone gets hurt or even killed.

- Rogers, MN, USA

Feb 252015

Malibu 6-cyl

In December, 2014, we purchased a 2007 Chevy Malibu for our teenage daughter. End of February 2015, when in park with the motor running, the power steering light came on and the steering wheel would not turn ( like it is locked up). Shut the vehicle off and restart and then power steering would work. Called GM due to finding numerous complaints and recalls on the Chevy Malibu regarding steering. I was told that my car, according to the VIN, was not under recall. GM agreed to pay for 1 hour of diagnostics.took car to a GM dealer to have two other uncompleted recalls on the Malibu taken care of. I noticed a clunking sound when turning into the dealership. A number of codes came up on the diagnostics relating to power steering and low voltage. Dealer said it would be a long shot but replacing the battery might fix the problem. I did not have the dealer replace the battery. Daughter drove the car a few days later and the car did the same thing numerous times (after starting the car the power steering light comes on and cannot turn the wheel). I will not let my daughter drive this car now as I am afraid the steering will lock up when driving. I drove the car the next day and when parked with the motor running the steering wheel would start turning by itself and make a growling sound. Our local mechanic witnessed the car's steering wheel turning back and forth when the car was idling and in park and no one touching the wheel. I have an appointment at the GM dealer this week for more diagnostics that GM says they will not pay for. GM did advise me to call in from the dealership once the problem is diagnosed and they may or may not reimburse me for part of the cost of repairs. I did replace the battery today and the steering wheel is still turning by itself when idling.

- Kennebec, SD, USA

Feb 162015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Mar 092015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle which resumed normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnosis of the failure. The technician stated that the steering sensor or the entire steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they had informed the contact that the VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V064000 (steering) or 14E044000(steering). The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Cameron, NC, USA

Mar 202015

Malibu 6-cyl

Friday while driving I noticed an issue with my steering it was harder to turn than usual and a felt like a vibration. Sunday while I was driving the steering went out it felt as though the steering wheel locked mid turn causing me to lose control of my vehicle nearly wrecking luckily there wasn't any other cars close by when I got home I researched the problem only to find that it's a very common issue and that 2007 Malibu is the only year not covered by the recall even though many owners are having this problem. Chevy knows that their power steering is faulty yet they refuse to help 2007 model owners. Had I of been driving on the highway or had I not been lucky enough to be the only car on that road at the time people could have been seriously hurt.

- Rochester, IN, USA

Mar 222015

I was driving down the road and it started to shake then I lost all the power steering. I had to drop the speed to 35 just to keep it on the road.

- London, KY, USA

Mar 162015

Malibu 6-cyl

I was traveling at 55 when power steering went out this almost caused a wreck GM should fix these cars before some one gets killed.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Feb 172015

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering is intermittently failing to identical conditions noted in the recent extended recall of Chevy Malibu's, recall number 14772. I called GM and they said my 2007 Malibu is not part of the recall. This is the second recall for this power steering failure from GM where they are now applying it to additional vehicles. They are obviously missing something because my Malibu is failing also.

- Dixmont, ME, USA

Mar 022015

Driving. Along steering would lock have to cut my car off restart on 3/12/2015 driving home from work had to cut my car off three times to get it home with hazard lights on doing 20 miles got I'm driving will not unlock. This car has same problem 2006 cars does. This us my only transportation. Why is this not in recall for the car was manufactured ON09/2006?...

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering: (2014-2015) the power steering goes out unexpectedly while driving. A power steering notice appears on the radio. Had a mechanic check power steering fluid and found no need, fluid level was fine. Power steering outages continue to happen intermittently and without notice until finally going out completely in March 2015. Power steering is on at start-up of vehicle then goes out in first minute or two of driving. Chevrolet dealer replaced power steering torque sensor @ $470. There is a recall for this same issue in the previous model year but was told my car is not covered. The car only has 55,000 miles. Engine: (2014) engine block cracked after 5 minute drive to work with only 35,000 miles on the car. Mechanic said they had never seen anything like it. All fluid levels were fine and there was no apparent reason for this to happen. Because the vehicle is a 2007 the warranty was expired. Paid $2000 for a used engine to be installed! now paying for the "not covered" power steering issue. Perhaps it's time to buy a different make of vehicle.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 292015

My steering wheel started making a grinding noise at a specific position on the wheel. Specifically right where you would keep the wheel to make the car drive straight. After 2 days of this happening, the power steering went out in the middle of my morning commute. I researched this and it is a known issue on Chevy Malibu and has been recalled on the '05, '06 and '08 but for some reason was not recalled on the '07, even with this being a known issue on all other model years surrounding it. I had to replace the steering column entirely which ended up costing $1,300.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 092009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Feb 032015

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering failed while driving on the highway. Power steering will engage after restarting vehicle, but will fail seconds later with cabin notification "power steering" on the console and audible ringing.

- Ottawa, KS, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering column and the control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Kittery, ME, USA

Mar 102015

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering became very hard to control. Light flashed on briefly. Steering wheel began to shake. I've looked online and others have complained of a faulty sensor. My wife took it to the dealership today and they refused to repair/replace at no cost.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA