2008 Chevrolet Malibu miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Aug 042016

Malibu

I was parking my car and I proceeded to put my car in reverse "R" but the gear control would not stay locked into position, nor would the car reverse. It was moving freely between gears but would not lock into position. I then placed the gear control back into park "P" where it would stay push the emergency brake down and turned the car off. When the tow company arrived he manually put the car "shift cable" back where it needed to go in order for the car the gear control to function properly, but once again it would not stay into place. Thankfully I was in a parking lot when this occurred, but this is extremely dangerous, because if the car were to stop in the middle of the road and the shifter cable came loose I would have no way of putting the car into neutral or anything to get the car to a safe place. I had the car towed to my mechanic and he was able to partially rectify the situation.

- Tallahasse, FL, USA

May 012015

Malibu

The power locks on my car are not functioning correctly. They do not lock/unlock when I need them to. I press the button on the car door and/ or on my keyless entry remote and some locks unlock/lock and some don't. it is more prevalent when the temperature is 60F and above. The issue started last summer. I thought it had subsided since it went away during the cooler months. Now that it has warmed up again it has gotten worse. The problem use to be limited to the rear driver door. Now it happens to any door with the exception of the drivers side door. While pressing the lock/unlock button the locks seem to want to work but they don't. this is especially dangerous for me since I have a 2 year old in the car with me 90% of the time. Doing an internet search it seems that lots of people have this issue. Owners having the same issues range from the 2008 to 2012 models similar to my car. Investigations this issue and finding a root cause may be beneficial even if a recall is not issued. At least owners will know what is wrong and how to fix it. I was quoted $350 per door to fix the problem and was not given a guarantee that it would actually remediate it. Which is quite ridiculous.

Jan 082016

Malibu

Displays, ESC off, traction control service, and engine power reduced. And when accelerating it doesn't really move. It takes a while to get speed up. And I was almost run over by a tractor trailer. This just started all of a sudden. And I have only had this car for about a year. It is stated that the Malibu has recalls.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Oct 122015

Malibu

The check engine light came on so I took it to the shop and was told that it my catalytic converter and I only have 71000 mile on my car, shouldn't it be still under warranty? pleas advise

Sep 232015

Malibu

While driving on us-10, a high traffic freeway in phoenix AZ, the car reduced speed to about 30 mph. It would not accelerate above this rate! so my son was suddenly stuck in one of the passing lanes on a very busy four lane freeway. It was extremely dangerous trying to maneuver off the freeway. Several codes appeared on the dash; check engine light, reduced engine power, service traction, and something about air bags. He managed his way off the freeway and ┐limped┐ the car home.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Aug 222015

Malibu

I was driving my Chevy Malibu and started to fell my car start to shake violently and then my service ESC was populating on the dash and traction control had been lost in the car. I was having difficulty breaking as if the ABS break system was not working in the car.I got the car to the side of the road and ended up hitting a guard rail. I then found out that it was multiple recalls issued on my vehicle and I called the Chevrolet customer support to discuss the current recall which appeared to be the issue. I was instructed that I could drop my car off at best Chevrolet service center and they were aware of the recall and would assist me. I dropped my car off, explained the situation. They called me to let me know the recall wasn't the issue even thought everything I experienced was listed in the recall.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Apr 032014

Malibu

Driver's door would not latch shut and door would freely open. After pulling the door shut multiple times it finally latched and I could drive. When trying to exit the vehicle the inside door handle would not open the door. I had to roll my power window down to open the door from the outside. After I got out the door would not latch when I tried to close it. After multiple attempts the door would still not latch shut and I had to physically hold the door shut the rest of the way home where it never would latch. Research online indicates that there are numerous reports that the door latch/lock assemblies fail which doesn't seem safe if you can't exit the car or if it were to come unlatched while driving.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Aug 212009

Malibu

The car had an issue with the syatem setting a code to check transaction and ESC and the brake lights would stick on. This happened about once every 2 or 3 months. Now that the GM recall has been done it is setting these same codes 2 or 3 times a day. But instead of my brake lights being on, the brake lights don't work, my cruise control doesn't work, my tail lights don't work the car still says service transaction and ESC daily. This recall has made my problem much worse. It is dangerous to drive as I never know if my tail lights and brake lights are working or if my antilocks or stabilization systems work. GM needs to find a different solution to this problem.

- Chilhowee, MO, USA

Feb 062015

Malibu

The turn indicator switch does not hold the signal when turning left, does when turning right but does not switch off. This began after getting the steering recall fixed.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Apr 252014

Malibu

I was attempted to put my 6 month old daughter in the car. I tried to unlock the doors with my keyless entry and all but the rear passenger door would unlock. Even when using the unlock button on one of the front car does would not open. I had to climb over the seat to unlock the door to get my daughter in the car. Over the course of the next year this would randomly happen to that specific door. On Thursday May 7th, 2015, this same issue happened again, but now both car locks in the rear were not opening with the remote entry or the unlock button on the front doors. This to me is a safety concern. Especially with a young child that is in the back seat. I searched the problem and there has been a lot of people complaining on online forums about this happening to their brand new cars and used cars over the years. I bought my car used so I do not know if this was an issue with it in the past.

Dec 142011

Malibu 4-cyl

There are five recalls on my vehicle and was told that I would be notified when parts came in. At this point there were only 2 recalls and now there are 5. I have yet to receive any recall letters on my vehicle. In the case that no one knows what the recalls are here they are: NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000, 14V252000, 14V22400, 14V153000, 12V460000, 14V153, 12V460. These are the numbers that I have found on recall websites. I found out about the recalls from the news. I have never received any letters in regard to these recalls. When will something be done? I am scared to drive my car and I need my car. Please respond to me in a timely matter this is the 9th time I have tried to get information on when my car will be fixed.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Mar 232011

Malibu

Steering wheel shakes intermittently throughout each day for approximately the past 50 days as of May 20, 2011. Sometimes occurs when car is initially turned on (shakes quickly to the left and right as if a little child was playing with the steering wheel). Shaking will also take place spontaneously while driving at various speeds. On May 10, 2011 passenger side power locks began to malfunction-would not lock or open when using power button inside car or using remote. Locking and unlocking had to be done manually by pulling up or pushing down lock.

- Newport News, VA, USA