2008 Chevrolet Malibu seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Air bag light came on dash, dealer says the harness is bad, and airbag will not function and needs to be replaced. This is not covered by any warranty or recall, however the forums online are filled with people with the same complaint.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the check engine, dome light, door ajar sound, seat belt warning lights illuminated at the same time. The engine lost power after the above warning signals displayed. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the body control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred with seat belt and service air bags light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken back to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 88,845.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Aug 302014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after stopping at a stop sign, the contact crashed into another vehicle and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there was one injury reported. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Gadsden, SC, USA

Jul 222014

Malibu 6-cyl

I received a recall for my Malibu and at about the same time my service air bag light came on with message on my radio screen, so I went to our GM dealer, he said parts were not in for the recall. When told about air bags he said they would check it out for $89. I called GM they said to take it back and they would take care of cost. I went back on 8/12/14 and was told $1386+tx for code 56 defective passenger presence module. I called GM again on 8/12/14 they said they would prorate cost. I paid $825 on 8/14/14. I'm grateful that they paid anything but again I'm upset because my car isn't worth much as a trade-in ( it's in good shape plus lower millage) but I was forced into fixing something that shouldn't be a problem. I didn't dare drive it, because the light only can on sporadically and I sometimes have grandkids with.

- St. Cloud, MN, USA

Jan 062014

Malibu

I was driving down a bridge when the vehicles in front of me came to a sudden stop, I hit my brakes and slid into the back of a Dodge Ram and then was rearended by a Chevy Tahoe. My airbags never deployed and a light flashed in the dash saying check airbags. I wasn't aware this could be a defect in my vehicle at the time, it has since be totaled.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

May 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

The passenger side air bag on/off light started to turn off and on while a passenger of 108 pounds was sitting in the seat. The red air bag light also was showing on the dashboard coming on then off. The air bag on/off light eventually stayed off after two days of the same things happening and the red air bag light on the dash is constantly on with a message to service the air bag. I took it to my local Chevrolet dealership and was told that it was a sensor and it would cost $800 for the part alone and $100 - $150 for labor.

- Greenville, KY, USA

Mar 192008

Malibu

My sister an I was on a flight from los angeles, ca into dallas, tx at the airport we rented a car from national car rental to go onto shreveport. La to see our sister who was in her last days with her fight with cancer. We're on I-20 North driving along then all of a sudden the car steering went out of control, speeding going very fast I could not stop, the went over into the medin of I-20 steal travel fast went all the way over to the other side South I-20 still could not stop no brake we hit a car on the other side of the I-20 that what keep us from going off I-20 completely. No air bags deploy at my sister died on the spot of the crash, I was knot out and the had to be air lifted to the hospital in dallas, tx she went to the mordge in tyler, tx I could not walk, shoulder broke, arm and legs we're in bad shape. The day I got out of the hospital the sister we're go to see die. Their never was a officer of the law to come an tell me any thing in regard to the crash, the GM Chevrolet 2008 Malibu we rented act just like the other GM vehicles in the ignition recall, the car engine, going out of control, steering I had no control, powers brakes not working I could not stop, no airbags deploy at all GM knew about the defect and my injuries and my sister death did not have to be not only that this model was not in the recall I need some answer as to way the very same thing happen to me and my in a fatal crash in this GM product a investigation need to be done and I need an wont answer to this crash, my will never be the same I need to know why please.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Dec 092013

Malibu 6-cyl

Service passenger airbag light has been coming off and on intermittently. This has only occurred when a passenger is in the seat. When warning light comes on, passenger airbag light shows "off".

- Rockville, MD, USA

Sep 032013

Malibu 6-cyl

"service air bag" kept coming on, maybe for a day or two then would go off for many days. Did this for many months. This past may the message came on more than was off. Had it serviced to replace the sensor on passenger side. Very costly!!

- Chagrin Falls,, OH, USA

Sep 032013

- Chagrin Falls,, OH, USA

May 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

Air bag module is not working according to dealer. The air bag warning light came on and did not go off. This is a major safety item and should good for the life of the vehicle. Owners should not have to pay for this very expensive repair.

- Hot Springs Village, AR, USA

Apr 282011

Malibu 4-cyl

Passenger air bag will not arm all the time with passenger in seat. Still doing the same thing to date!

- Hernando, MS, USA

Apr 182009

Malibu 4-cyl

According to witness, my son was stopped at a red light on a two lane main road (on each side). His 2008 Chevy Malibu was on the outer lane when all of a sudden veered to the left as if heading towards a driveway ( when he originally was going straight to pick up a co worker). The car immediately jerked to the right, crashing into a tree, where parts of the vehicle became embedded into the tree. My son passed away instantly. The speedometer registered 66 mph at impact. His original speed was approximately 35mph especially since he was just stopped at the light. The witness was coming from the opposite side and stopped his car when he saw my son's vehicle crossing into his lane towards oncoming traffic.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

On several occasions I received a message on the console "power steering" and could not turn the wheel. I would be in a parked position or pulling out (in reverse) of a parking spot. I would turn the car off and back on and the message would go away. Also I got a message regarding the passenger side air bag was not working. This would happen each time I would start the car and it would stay on.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jan 302014

Malibu 6-cyl

Service airbag light came on when starting vehicle. Brought to dealer. Was told both front impact sensors had failed. Very expensive fix.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 102013

Malibu

Driving on straight road and car suddenly pulled right onto the shoulder. It felt like the car lost its steering capacity. Tried to correct the steering onto the road and then car spun 180, then hit ditch. Car rolled over 100 ft. In air and landed on wheels. The front, nor side air bags deployed even when car struck the side on the ground. Canada has recalled 67,000 vehicles due to power steering motor control module defective. GM needs to recall these in the us before someone gets killed. (it almost killed us if we didn't have our seatbelts on!)

- La Junta, CO, USA

Jan 082013

Malibu 4-cyl

The service airbag light came on and too the car to the dealer. Dealer stated that the code was "diag sir B0081 (71) pss1 invalid data received pps/3025". dealer stated that the passenger airbag may, or may not work properly in the case of an accident. The sensor in the passenger seat is not working properly. Dealer stated that the issue was the responsibility of the customer and not the manufacture.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jun 152012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. Additionally, the service traction warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the sensor in the steering column and the front driver and passenger side wheel sensors would have to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Aug 042012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the driver side front and rear air bags deployed erroneously with the illumination of the air bag warning lights. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle and also stated that toxic fumes emitted from the air bags once deployed. The contact and a passenger, as well as a child passenger, sustained minor injuries from the shards and fumes of the air bag. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that there was no failure and the repair of the air bags could cost approximately $5,000 at the contact expensive. The dealer offered no further assistance. The manufacture was not notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 67,000. The VIN was not available.

- New Braunsels, TX, USA

Oct 032011

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving or not driving the steering wheel shakes vigorously and the power steering warning light comes on. Then the brake lights come on when I'm not touching them.when I do apply the brakes the lights go out. Then have to apply a generous amount of pressure to get them to come on. I constantly keep getting the light service ESC then it says it is off. I turn off car and it resets but after 2 or 3 minutes it comes back on. I also keep getting a seatbelt light as to buckle up and I'm already wearing seatbelt. The steering gets hung while driving pulling to either side of the road.

- Boiling Springs, SC, USA