2008 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 11 of 15)

Aug 242010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph, the contact stated the steering wheel locked, almost causing a crash. The warning light would illuminate intermittently. The dealer diagnosed that the electric power steering was defective and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer made an attempt to assist the contact with the repairs. The failure was not repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 119,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cadrz, KY, USA

Jul 192011

Malibu 4-cyl

My 2008 Malibu has a power steering problem. On a daily basis the power steering becomes erratic and fails to react properly under normal driving conditions, usually at highway speeds. While stopped, the steering wheel will turn left and right on its own. When this occurs at highway speed control of the car is dangerous. Two hands are needed to keep car in lane and not cross the line into other vehicles. Problem began when mileage hit 45,000 miles. Occasionally, a chime will occur and indicate power steering in the display but by the time the chime occurs the steering problem is gone. This issue is consistent and intermittent on a daily basis. I have researched this problem for Chevy Malibu and have found that thousands of Malibu owners are experiencing this problem. This is not a problem caused by improper routine maintenance. This steering problem is a failure of a component in the steering assembly that is not subject to routine maintenance. This is a defective part!!! as a percentage of Malibu on the road that have this problem I would Venture that it is very high and the number is increasing. The electronic assist power steering in the I4 Malibu's is a road handling nightmare and GM has no interest in fixing this problem. I would expect a serious problem like this to be made a recall issue before there is a fatality and then GM and obama motors will be sued for reckless endangerment.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering wheel randomly jerks right and left while driving. Is very "notchy" and difficult to return to the precisely desired position.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Apr 252011

Malibu 4-cyl

Back in April I started having problems with my driver side lock. It would get stuck. Sometimes the door wouldn't even open. I would press the button to unlock the door, and that wouldn't work. I would have to use my key, ans sometimes that didn't work either. I am still having problems with the lock, and pretty much everyday I have to use my key to open the driver side door. I was told to use wd-40 and that sill didn't help. The most recent event with my car is this loud vibrating noise that has been occuring off and on for the past two months. I'V had several people check it out and they say they can't find anything wrong. My car makes the noise while sitting in park, sometimes while I'm driving, or sitting still at a light. About a 1-1 1/2 months ago my wheel wou;D move back and forth. I went to have it checked out and was told that there wasn't anything wrong. My wheel moves more and more. It moves sometimes when I first start my car, while sitting a light, and at various speeds while I am driving. When I turn my steering wheel back in a neutral position sometimes it would turn the other way. Today my wheel was moving while I was drivng and my car started moving in the same direction. It was hard to control and it was very scary because I was on the highway. I'm so fed up with this car, and I totally regret buying it. I am probably never going to buy a Chevrolet again, even if Chevrolet's are all that I have ever owned.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 122011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 65 mph the steering wheel became stiff and the power steering stopped functioning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the dealer the power steering failure was a known issue caused by a defective power steering module. The power steering module was replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 2/22/12

- West Bend , WI, USA

Jul 062011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and while stopped, the steering wheel would begin to turn back and forth. The vehicle was in the process of being taken to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Jul 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

Letter from senator brown on behalf of constituent re concerns about 2008 Chevrolet Malibu (respond to cleveland office the consumer stated the transmission cooler lines and front hub assembly were replaced. Also, the power steering light illuminated and the headlights had condensation which caused the bulbs to blow out. The dealer found a seal around the parameter of the capsule was not properly sealed at the factory. The intermediate steering shaft and power steering control module were replaced. Also, the front seat heater switch had to be replaced, due to the heater coming on when the seat was occupied.

- Swanton, OH, USA

Jul 112011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering column locked and the electronic power steering was pulling the steering wheel to the left and right involuntarily. The steering wheel began to vibrate once the vehicle was stopped. The failure recurred at different speeds on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jul 052011

Malibu

Driving on I 40 at 70 mph steering became erratic and jerking, it took extreme effort to stay in proper lane, pulled to shoulder and stopped. I killed the car and restarted and steering was normal until I exited freeway and there was a short episode of loss of power steering but soon started to work normal. A popping noise is now heard sometimes at slow turning speeds and is not always heard.

- Fairfield, TX, USA

Apr 132011

Malibu 4-cyl

2008 Chevy mailbu. The steering wheel shakes and pulls from left to right when the car is in park and first turned on. It also happens when driving on and off the highway. The problem is intermittent. Car had 36,000 when problem stated. Pulling and shaking is getting worse and harder to control and keep car in lane.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while the vehicle was in park the steering wheel would move from left to right on its own. The failure was not diagnosed by the dealer. Whenever the contact made a left or right turn the power steering system shut off and the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The failure mileage was 51,852.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 292011

Malibu

Steering wheel moves left and right 20 degrees at stop or while moving. Problem comes and goes.

- Stover, MO, USA

May 072011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that upon starting the vehicle, the power steering light was illuminated on the instrument panel. Over time, the contact began to hear a popping noise coming from the steering column while making turns at various speeds. The contact also stated that the steering wheel would shake whenever the vehicle was shifted into gear. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were in the process of diagnosing the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 59,000.

- Kingston, TN, USA

May 102011

Malibu 4-cyl

2008 Malibu - drivers door latch does not work. Often driver gets stuck in vehicle. In addition, there is a loud knock in the steering and it has had a ring gear replaced already, same problem 12,000 miles later.

- Churchville, NY, USA

Mar 232011

Malibu

Steering wheel shakes intermittently throughout each day for approximately the past 50 days as of May 20, 2011. Sometimes occurs when car is initially turned on (shakes quickly to the left and right as if a little child was playing with the steering wheel). Shaking will also take place spontaneously while driving at various speeds. On May 10, 2011 passenger side power locks began to malfunction-would not lock or open when using power button inside car or using remote. Locking and unlocking had to be done manually by pulling up or pushing down lock.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering wheel will "wobble" left to right while car is stopped, in parked position, at idol. Event occurs daily and a noise will accompany the motion at times. "wobble" motion seems to increase with slight rev of engine. While driving at any given speed and on any road surfaces the steering will jerk from left to right, causing the vehicle to rapidly swirve from side to side. Feels like all control could be lost at any given moment. I have a 60 mile commute to and from work and it is extremely frightening as it occurs while other vehicles are in close proximity to mine. I am surprised that I have not been cited for careless and imprudent driving by law enforcement or ultimately killed in a horrible accident. I first mentioned the event to the service department while there for scheduled maintenance. Event did not occur upon mechanic test drive, however, their answer was an unscheduled tire rotation that I was responsible to pay for and the event occurred again the next day. The problem was mentioned for the second time with the next scheduled maintenance which included another tire rotation. The mechanic did witness the faulty steering at this time and evidently some torque something or other was recalibrated and the steering angle was readjusted. Upon leaving the dealership, the steering was obviously not corrected. I immediately returned to the service department at that time. The technician and I went on a 20 mile drive and unfortunately it ended without any occurances. The mechanic made a comment that it was more than likely the electronic power steering motor that had been recalled in other Chevrolet automobiles and he didn't understand why the Malibu was not included. I currently have an appointment to leave my car with them so that they may randomly drive it, "in hopes" to pinpoint the problem. It seems to me that they know exactly what the problem is but want to get as many billable hours of labor out of me in the meantime. Not happy!

- Rolla, MO, USA

Apr 102011

Malibu

2008 Chevrolet Malibu power steering faulty.vehicle is hard to control at any speed. Happens quite frequently. Brought it to the dealer, it will be very expensive to repair.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Apr 152011

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering is acting up, there is no warning or engine light signals, I have looked up for recall and all I have found in many other Chevy Malibu owners 2004 -2009 having the power steering issues. In some cases this has cased some of the drivers to lose complete control of their vehicle power steering an result in a crash. Today my wife swerved off the road and just barely hit a guard rail and almost ran into the bridge due to the power steering just going out with out any notice and no warning lights. GM has no recall for this but it has been happening to many of people for almost a decade now, what are they wait for someone to get seriously hurt. GM service personnel tell you to turn of the car and a will work again for a little while, what happens when it goes out again? also they said it runs about $800 to fix then there are reports of it going right back to not working, this is unacceptable I don't have $800, I spent 24,000 on this vehicle I should have to turn my vehicle off to just postpone a serious problem.

- Ludowici, GA, USA

Mar 012011

Malibu

Steering wheel jerks and shakes left and right even at a stop without holding wheel. While driving, the wheel moves and seems sticky when turning, jerks left and right causing the vehicle to be difficult to control. This problem was intermittent but is becoming increasingly consistent. Vehicle is at service dealership currently, but clearly has become a safety issue.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Feb 122011

Malibu

2008 Chevy Malibu with 60,000 miles - I encountered problems with steering- the car was pulling, the steering wheel was moving when the car was stopped. Took it to the dealership was told it needed an alignment. Had the alignment, the problem got worse. Took it to another mechanic was told it was the steering column. When they called the dealer to order the parts, the dealer advised them that they see this problem 3-4 times a week on the Malibu, but never told me about it. The steering column was replaced at a cost of $1300, yet the problem is still not resolved. We were also told that this particular part is also the same part used on the Pontiac G6 which has been recalled, yet there is no recall on the Chevy Malibu.

- Hop Bottom, PA, USA