2008 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu:

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 15)

Dec 182012

Malibu 4-cyl

My wife, children, and myself were leaving for school and doctor appointment, when pulling out of driveway the steering wheel locked or was very hard to turn, then a warning came across the display of power steering loss. None the less, atleast no one was injured, we backed up into driveway which was a chore with no power steering. When we got back from all of our running I put the car on the computer and it showed no error codes, it didn't even show there had been a loss of communication with the system. I start the car and drove down the road everything seems fine for now. I expect this will happen again and can only hope my wife and children aren't in an accident because of this issue.

- Sweetwater, TN, USA

Apr 052011

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering wheel starts vibrating on it's own uncontrollably while stopped and moves on its on while driving. There are many many many cases of this on the 2008 Malibu and Chevy refuses to recall. Paid over 1000 dollars to replace power steering motor. Pls let me know what my options are to get Chevy to recall. Car veers into other lanes of traffic on it's own. Car steers itself.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Nov 272012

Malibu

The contact owns 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, a loss of power steering occurred without warning. The contact continued to drive with difficulty when turning the steering wheel. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Warner Robinn, GA, USA

Aug 152012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder and shut off the engine. After allowing the vehicle to sit for several minutes, the vehicle was restarted and the power steering assist resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing however, the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. Additionally, the steering wheel would shake violently while parked with the engine running. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Oct 202012

Malibu 4-cyl

Started the car to come out of a parking spot, heard humming/rattling noise. Steering wheel started to vibrate then would do rapid half-turns by itself, jerking left and right. Shut the car off and restarted. Seemed ok for first few minutes then started again. Got on the road, driving about 35-40 mpg on highway and it became uncontrollable. Could not keep it straight within the lane. Almost hit a car in the lane on my right! pulled up to an auto shop near by. They test drove and experienced the issue but explained that with these cars, the technology in them is too advanced and would have to be taken to a Chevy dealer. Mechanic explained that the matter is quite hazardous and it would be a huge risk driving it now. Single mom driving 45 minutes from home with 2 minor children. Had to get a tow truck to get back home, 45 minutes away. $$$!! had this vehicle for 11 months only. Prior to this issue, had door locks issues as I've ready on other threads and also currently experiencing issues with faulty tire pressure sensor as well. Nothing but problems with this car since I've had it. This is my first and very last Chevrolet!!

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving to work the steering seemed to lock up and then was very hard to steer. I got the car slowed down and pulled over and turned it off, after a few minutes I started the car and the steering seemed ok.this has happened a total of 7 or 8 times since 10/1/12. Took car to the dealer on 10/13 and they could not get the car to do it while they drove it. I am taking the car back on 10/22 to get it checked again. There is definitely a problem with the electrically assisted power steering.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Jun 152012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph and making a left turn, the contact noticed a clunking noise and a jerking motion in the steering wheel. While parked, the steering wheel would move independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing three times. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000. Updated 11/01/12 the consumer stated the vehicle would pull to the side. Updated 11/01/12

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 102012

Malibu 4-cyl

Turn signal arm does not stay in place when signaling to turn. Also the turn signal arm when it does stay in place it will not return to normal position/turn off signal by itself after making a turn. When turning the steering wheel it makes popping noises. Door locks on all doors stay either in the "lock" or "unlock" position at all times. One of the rear passenger door lock has been replaced at the dealership for $300 and the door lock still fails. The only way to unlock the passenger doors is to do it manually and climb over the seats. The driver door has to be unlocked with the key and manually locked when exiting the vehicle.

- Burleson, TX, USA

Aug 272012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the brake warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact mentioned that the failure occurs intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Freeman, VA, USA

Aug 202012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when driving approximately 10 mph and attempting a turn, the contact could hear a popping noise in the steering wheel as the steering wheel would become difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic advised that the steering column was fractured and would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Alma, GA, USA

Aug 262012

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering wheel locks up and hard to turn.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 302012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel began to vibrate in a violent jerking motion. The contact maneuvered to the side of the road for a few seconds and then resumed with the steering malfunction. The failure recurred at least three times a week. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician did not repair the vehicle under the extended service warranty. The defect persisted with the engine and power steering warning indicators illumination. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 93,435. Updated 10/26/12

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 242011

Malibu 4-cyl

While pressing the brake to slow to turn to the right the ESC servicing comes across the dash. I call the service department the next day (cause the incident happened after hours) they tech says next time the light comes on bring it in without turning the car off. For the next several times it happens of course was after hours. I took it in for a oil change, and when leaving the light came on again. I automatically turned around and went back. Upon diagnostic testing it shows nothing is wrong and the tech says my car doesn't have anything that would set off this code. Can anyone tell me what ESC stands for on this model car"???"

- Maylene, AL, USA

Jun 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel became abnormally loose and extremely sensitive. The failure recurred for years. Over time, the contact noticed that a jerk or catch developed in the steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified by the dealer and offered a 50 percent discount for repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 478 and the current mileage was 22,000. Updated 7/23/12 the consumer stated he began to experience problems with the replacement steering column. The consumer stated the vehicle pulled to the left and the steering wheel continued to shake. Updated 07/30/12

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

May 082012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering failed. The contact tried to maneuver the steering wheel but had a difficult time doing so. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the technicians were unable to determine the failure. The vehicle was repaired however, but the failure recurred. The second time the failure happened, the brakes failed as well. The vehicle was repaired again and the fail still recurred. The contact was unaware of the specific repairs made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that they would assist in her purchasing a replacement vehicle. The failure mileage was 17,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Inez, KY, USA

Nov 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel was loose and was able to move freely without demand. The failure recurred intermittently. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle would need to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000 and the current mileage was 51,000.

- Hallwood, VA, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving or not driving the steering wheel shakes vigorously and the power steering warning light comes on. Then the brake lights come on when I'm not touching them.when I do apply the brakes the lights go out. Then have to apply a generous amount of pressure to get them to come on. I constantly keep getting the light service ESC then it says it is off. I turn off car and it resets but after 2 or 3 minutes it comes back on. I also keep getting a seatbelt light as to buckle up and I'm already wearing seatbelt. The steering gets hung while driving pulling to either side of the road.

Mar 202012

Malibu 4-cyl

I just pulled on and started to drive on a winding dangerous mountain road -not yet accelerating 40mph- when all of a sudden my steering wheel would not let me turn, almost frozen, and I am into a right curve! I was fighting the wheel to gain control for what seemed minutes but was actually seconds as I slowly put on my brakes while I tried to regain control of the wheel (mind you I am in rush hour traffic on a mt. Curve, a concrete wall to my left, a rock outcropping on my right, no shoulder, guardrail begins where the rocks end. When I finally regained control, I still had a hard time steering; steering was unpredictable...intermittent shaking of the steering wheel/sometimes felt like I had lost a bolt on my right rim (for those who did at one time you know what I am talking about)/I had a shimmy on the right like something was not connected/all of a sudden I felt like there was no power steering or control at all (hard to turn the wheel-took some muscle), just not right. My car used to have such control- turn on a dime barely touching the wheel. This steering issue has happened before and mentioned to my mechanic at an oil change but they didn't find anything, even hooked up to the diagnostic machine and everything checked out, wallet lighter. I actually thought I was going out of my mind then read other people were having the same kinds of problems. If this is a known problem, why has it not been recalled" for the mountain that I have to drive every day to and from work, this could prove very dangerous-life threatening... I do not feel safe in my own car I have only had nearly a year now nor have the funds to spend on costly repairs. I am ready to take the bugger back and demand my money back and get a more dependable vehicle. I am done spending money- why this is happening? why no answers or fixes" worse yet, "everything check out okay" when it keeps happening!

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA